"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
my sister said sometihng funny one night when we were eating chili. guess who had a kidney bean shoot out of the nose? man did it BURN
my mother got kind of grossed out but it made it that much funnier to me

Old 01-26-2005, 11:07 PM   #12
Master Chef

Middie, Luv'sFood, and SierraCook; you all told stories that made me snicker audibly, almost brought tears to my eyes with the effort of not disturbing the rest of the house with laughter.

My two most memorable childhood experiences with food were not the best. The first, I was hungry for some cooked fish. I checked the fridge and freezer. There was none to be had. I looked in the cupboard of canned goods for some canned salmon, to make salmon patties. All I could find was a can of sardines. I opened it, dredged them in some farina, and fried them up in a bit of oil. I guess I was about 9 or 10 at the time. No one else was home. If I recall, they actually tasted pretty good. But as I jsut finished eating them, my parents arrived. The first words our of their mouths were "What's that awfull smell?" I didn't get in trouble but was asked to make myself something a little less offensive to the nose, like fried eggs or something.

The second and definitely most memorable experience came in an alleyway behind my grandpa's house. I was with a freind who was a year or so younger than me. I was about eight years old with this one. My buddy, Gordy, said he'd heard that they ate worms in Africa. Me being a child during the 60's, I had no internet, or other resources to confirm or disprove what Gordy said. I said something to the effect that we had nothing to cook them with and so couldn't see if it was true. Unfortunately, we did have a freshly used paper cup and some matches. And my grandpa's place was a great place to pick nightcraawlers for fishing, so turning over any fair sized rock would usually produce good worms.

Yep. It's true. I place a big nightcrawler into the paper cup, lit the cup on fire, and cooked the little critter in the flames. It only took one bite to convince me how totaly wrong Gordy was. The powerful and fowl flavor was indescribable. It was just plain bad, if harmless. Lifter, if you read this, you (and anyone else who fishes with nightcrawlers) can attest to the stench created by forgetting a box-full of worms in the car-trunk on a hot summer day (my Dad did that a couple of times. I did it with a chicken from the supermarket, similarly foul, but different). There is no worst odor. That's the same way they taste. I still shudder at the memory. I bet the worm wasn't too happy either

That's the most memorable I've got.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
ewww goodweed you ate a worm?
that's gutsy i'd never have the nerve
lol
Old 01-27-2005, 12:21 AM   #14
Master Chef

Middie; I have always been the adventurous kind of guy at most everything. But I think that one has more to do with stupidity that being gutsy. My only excuse is that I was very young.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 01-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #15
Master Chef

Those are great stories, goodweed! I admire you for cooking something so out of the ordinary for such a young child (the sardines, not the worm!). Most kids would have settled for some cookies or crackers. Obviously your love of food and cooking was present from a young age. Very impressive!

The worm on the other hand.....well, I'll just echo what middie said! Guess it's a boy thing!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i remember going out to rockaway beach with my family during the summer to visit cousins and spend the day swimming and playing, and eating. mom would always make broiled chicken legs and thighs, and hard boiled eggs, and tuna and ham sandwiches the night before.
we'd all swim and play for a while, then gather around the chairs and blankets and chow down. my cousin patty and i would share our hard boiled eggs; i didn't like the whites, patty didn't like the yolks. we were a good team.
before we went home, we would always stop at a fish market and get a big block of frozen shrimp and some locally made frozen french fries, then stopped at dairy queen before the long ride back to jersey. it was kinda strange, but as soon as we finished the ice cream, we all couldn't wait to get home and have the shrimp and fries. mom would make 1/2 as shrimp cocktail, 1/2 fried shrimp. and the fries were great; big thick steak fries. those were some of the best foodie days i can remember as a kid.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Middie, Luv'sFood, and SierraCook; you all told stories that made me snicker audibly, almost brought tears to my eyes with the effort of not disturbing the rest of the house with laughter.

My two most memorable childhood experiences with food were not the best. The first, I was hungry for some cooked fish. I checked the fridge and freezer. There was none to be had. I looked in the cupboard of canned goods for some canned salmon, to make salmon patties. All I could find was a can of sardines. I opened it, dredged them in some farina, and fried them up in a bit of oil. I guess I was about 9 or 10 at the time. No one else was home. If I recall, they actually tasted pretty good. But as I jsut finished eating them, my parents arrived. The first words our of their mouths were "What's that awfull smell?" I didn't get in trouble but was asked to make myself something a little less offensive to the nose, like fried eggs or something.

The second and definitely most memorable experience came in an alleyway behind my grandpa's house. I was with a freind who was a year or so younger than me. I was about eight years old with this one. My buddy, Gordy, said he'd heard that they ate worms in Africa. Me being a child during the 60's, I had no internet, or other resources to confirm or disprove what Gordy said. I said something to the effect that we had nothing to cook them with and so couldn't see if it was true. Unfortunately, we did have a freshly used paper cup and some matches. And my grandpa's place was a great place to pick nightcraawlers for fishing, so turning over any fair sized rock would usually produce good worms.

Yep. It's true. I place a big nightcrawler into the paper cup, lit the cup on fire, and cooked the little critter in the flames. It only took one bite to convince me how totaly wrong Gordy was. The powerful and fowl flavor was indescribable. It was just plain bad, if harmless. Lifter, if you read this, you (and anyone else who fishes with nightcrawlers) can attest to the stench created by forgetting a box-full of worms in the car-trunk on a hot summer day (my Dad did that a couple of times. I did it with a chicken from the supermarket, similarly foul, but different). There is no worst odor. That's the same way they taste. I still shudder at the memory. I bet the worm wasn't too happy either

That's the most memorable I've got.

No body likes me
Every body hates me
I'm going to go eat worms.
First ya bite the head off
then you suck the juice out
then you chew the rest like gum!!
Yum
Yum!

lol.

Great story Goodweed!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife1
Yum
Yum!

lol.
I never heard that line before! Ick!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife1
Yum
Yum!

lol.
I never heard that line before! Ick!
My son taught it to me years ago.
I sing it to him now when ever he refuses to come
over for dinner. lol
Old 01-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #20
Master Chef

[quote="pdswife1

No body likes me
Every body hates me
I'm going to go eat worms.
First ya bite the head off
then you suck the juice out
Yum
Yum!

lol.[/quote]

My eldest daughter has said that little piece to me as well. But I'll let her be the ownere of that one in my family, and continue to drive everyone nuts with "Dad jokes". I wonder if they realize that Dad jokes are told by dads because of their annoying nature, not because they're actually funny. I don't have to be clever anymore. It's more fun amusing myself at my kid's expense. After all, they've driven me nuts for over twenty-five years now. But I wouldn't change one of them. They make me proud in some way alsmost every day.