Most overused food item

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
Has to be salt.

One question I have about that ... why do they charge MORE to put LESS salt in a can?

Because things like this become fads, and capitalistic corporations see $$. When the fad of less salt, no carbs, etc, gives way to another fad, the price will drop and the new fad will take off big time. Evenually they return.

I agree with the salt/sugar/sweeteners. There's one I have to add that I want to complain about...

partially hydrogenated oils...any type. I know that this is usually because it's the cheap fat and gives a longer shelf life. Why not just use the good kind of oil or even butter?? With the new label laws put in place (effective 2006??) I think we'll see a lot less partially hydrogenated crap.

I'm inclined to agree with those who have said sweeteners. Whenever I try to find a low-fat product, I run into it tasting .... too sweet.

The low-carb fad is a real help to those with diabetes, a growing part of our population. Makes it easier to keep count.

I'm a salt-a-holic, and know there is too much out there. But Yummmmm.

The reason it costs more to put less salt in a product is because there is little demand for it. I know that is hard to believe, but it is so. If they're making millions of cans of regular chicken broth, and a thousands of low-sodium, the latter is going to cost more.

Bear in mind that if you look at 2 products, one with 24 carbs and one with 21, there can be a huge diff. Fibre, for instance, is a carbohydrate but can be subtracted from the total count as you can't digest it. Likewise, any glycol or sugar alcohols have minimal effect on blood sugar and also effectively don't count- even diabetics can eat them with no effect on blood serology.

I'm a big believer in the "low carb lifestyle." Not only did I lose 65 lbs in 4 months on Atkins, I never felt better in my life, starting 3 days in! Now I can hardly stand sugar and my sweet tooth is virtually gone. I just rapidly lost my cravings for the carby stuff.

Now as for overused foods- obviously salt & sugar are towards the top of my list. But I think I'd pick chicken. You ever notice when you eat out that practically everything is chicken? Especially at my favorite local Chinese buffet place. There's one beef dish, one pork and 12 chicken dishes! :eek:

And that is one of the reason you would be hard pressed to find a chicken based dish in a better rated restaurant, unless it was of the organic, cornfed variety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom