Most overused food item

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik

Sous Chef
What item do you think is used too much in commercial food products???

As much as I like Ranch dressing...I think it's being used a little too much.

What do you think???

sodium content is ridiculous. canned food, like canned soup, beans, canned meats and chili and veggies... pretty much the vast majority of canned stuff... it's all pretty much sodium-laden. chips, pretzels, frozen foods, especially frozen meals, even cereals. just all kinds of stuff. i don't really eat this stuff cause i don't want to get puffy from retaining water but i do sometimes have like 3 oz. of canned soup or a few oz. of canned beans. and i AM a beef jerky junkie, but i always drink bunches of fluids after i have some of that. i came up with a recipe that pretty much eliminates the soy sauce and uses worcestershire instead but i usually buy it.
12.gif

The item that seems to be in everything is aspartame. I can't ingest it, so I look on labels & it's everywhere! You guys have it right with the salt issue too - my gosh - I know it's a preservative, but....must we have oodles of it?
As for foods that americans overuse:
I totally agree w/Ranch dressing
and would like to also include ketchup!

How about "low carb" labels. I have two identical bottles of Kraft Italian Dressing, one pre- "low carb" and one with a "low carb" label. Zero difference in ingredients. :roll:

I'd have to say salt and sugar. Ever get fries from McDonalds that were covered in salt? bleck! I scrape it off.

Dampcharcoal mentioned about low carb labels and I have to agree. Today I was going to buy a low carb box of gummy fruits for my daughter. It had 24 carbs per package in the low carb brand, and the regular brand had 21 carbs. Ever notice the low carb things are more expensive?

jkath said:
The item that seems to be in everything is aspartame. I can't ingest it, so I look on labels & it's everywhere! You guys have it right with the salt issue too - my gosh - I know it's a preservative, but....must we have oodles of it?

jkath, my daughter had a couple of classes in chemistry at university, aspartame turns to formaldahide when heated to over 80%. It is in most of the fake sugars, I know for certain in the pink and blue, do not know of the yellow one (spenda). I do not use any of them, but my best friend does in her coffee, but not any more.

DampCharcoal said:
How about "low carb" labels. I have two identical bottles of Kraft Italian Dressing, one pre- "low carb" and one with a "low carb" label. Zero difference in ingredients. :roll:

DC that is just the same as 7up putting caffine free on its label. What ever the fad is, everyone has to get on the bandwagon. Some things are naturally carb low.

I do not buy those pre-made products too much chemicals, sodium, trans fatty acids, and other stuff I have no clue it origin or purpose in the food chain. I make a ranch dressing (it is posted in dressings) I got from Sara Moultons cook book. It tastes the same, but is not as thick, no gel stuff.

Weight Watchers brand items.

Weight Watchers Chocolate Cake. I mean seriously, you have to be kidding yourself. If you were really serious about losing weight the words 'cake' should not even enter your head.

I agree with all of the above.
As for the price of low carb labeled food, have any of you priced the bread? I've seen it at around $3.00 a loaf or more. Rididulous. Just don't eat so much of the regular stuff and you'll take a few pounds off.

Beaulana, I couldn't agree with you more on the mushroom soup issue!
I can't stand it, and it really is Everywhere! Good one!

Haggis said:
Weight Watchers brand items.

Weight Watchers Chocolate Cake. I mean seriously, you have to be kidding yourself. If you were really serious about losing weight the words 'cake' should not even enter your head.

I almost spit out my coffee from laughing at this :LOL:

norgeskog said:
jkath said:

jkath, my daughter had a couple of classes in chemistry at university, aspartame turns to formaldahide when heated to over 80%. It is in most of the fake sugars, I know for certain in the pink and blue, do not know of the yellow one (spenda). I do not use any of them, but my best friend does in her coffee, but not any more.

i became skeptical of these products a while ago and i'm glad i did. i used to eat any yogurt that looked good, even if it contained artifical sweetners, and i chewed sugarless gum. now it's strictly Dannon regular yogurt (it has a much better texture) and chew Bubblicious. i cut way down on chewing gum for the sake of keeping the cavities away, but i'm glad i did.

Back
Top Bottom