Mothers Day dinner - Sunday, May 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
This Mom is Cookin' ! (by choice), I put in an 8 lb. pork shoulder in the oven this morning, with a dry rub, it will cook 8 hrs. at 250'. I made deviled eggs, potato and macaroni salads yesterday. Baking some baked beans too. Cherry/cake dessert w/ice cream.
Have a great day all ! Barb L.

Last edited:
Tonight was the first real meal I tried cooking by myself as I am new to it all. Since I bought my first house this year I have taking an interest in cooking.

Tonight for mother's day I made a pasta dish with slow cooked red and yellow peppers with cherry tomatoes, italian sausage, red onion, garlic, parsley and balsamic vinegar.

I was pretty happy for my first proper meal. My mother was also impressed so that was good.

Congratulations, dispute! Sounds like a delightful meal. I'm sure your mother was proud of you.

Another "cooking by choice" here, but easy cooking. Took the huge leftover corned beef and sauce from the freezer. Will simmer some fresh cabbage wedges in the sauce nice and long, put the beef in near the end to heat up good and have mashed taters along with.

I don't know if we'll have dessert. We'll be pretty full after we've finished our "soul" food dinner. I LOOOOVE corned beef and cabbage. Guess it's the Irish in me.:LOL:

Dispute! Good for you! It's real easy once you get in the kitchen and start! Happy that it turned out so well for you;) .

I'm being taken out for my meal. It's a special friend of mine who is doing the taking and I personally can't wait. Don't know what it'll be or where, but it's sure to be a time of good conversation, good food, and wonderful memory sharing which'll be my favorite part!

Happy Mother's Day to all those blessed mommy's out there!

We are visiting my mom later today. My step dad is doing the cooking. At this time, I'm not entirely sure what he is making. I"ll post later and let everyone know. I'm not cooking a thing today.

dispute said:
Tonight was the first real meal I tried cooking by myself as I am new to it all. Since I bought my first house this year I have taking an interest in cooking.

Cool. Sounds pretty fancy to me. ;)

This Ma is being treated to a Tea at the local Victorian Mansion at noon. Then we are going to the cemetary to bring mom some flowers and just be together for a time. This evening My DH and my daughters DH's and the kids are going to a favortie Chinese place and have dinner. I had planned to do the usual family sunday but the "boys" insisted we go out for a change, and really it sounds pretty darn good.:)
To all you wonderful mom's, I wish you all a happy, peaceful , love filled Mothers Day.
kadesma:)

I made macaroni and cheese yesterday for the grandlkids. I also am trying a do ahead risotto dish - partially cooked it yesterday and it's in the fridge on a sheet pan now waiting for me to finish. It's from Michael C. (can't spell) cookbook, he's on the food net work. My son is bringing main course - fresh fish and he will cook on the grill. The daughtes are doing the rest - Oh and I have asparagus too.

I think I am just going to throw a steak on the barbie. Sides will be those ridiculous looking au gratin potatoes that Omaha Steaks sent me with my order, some corn on the cob, steamed, and a nice mixed baby greens salad with honey dijon dressing. Or maybe I'll mix up a small batch of my world famous southwest caesar dressing.

I spent Friday afternoon with my mom at the local medical center - then drove her to the ER 60 miles away Friday where they examined and admitted her...she spent the night and I brought her home yesterday afternoon. She's not at all interested in eating - so I decided to make some "girly" ham salad sandwiches. I'm headed her way soon and we'll just spend some quiet time relaxing and chatting. Maybe I can get her to eat something.

Happy Mother's Day to all moms! :heart:

It all sounds wonderful... my son left me an instant message that said " happy mother's day. I lost my phone, can't call" bye. " That's my mom's day. Sigh. Well... at least I have Paul to hug all day.

SurvivorGirl said:
you should post the recipe, I always want new recipes for caesar salad!!:chef:

SOUTHWEST CAESAR DRESSING

1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp brown sugar
1tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp granulated onion
2 tsp New Mexico chile powder
1 tsp paprika
¼ to ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
2 Tbs grated Cotijo cheese (can substitute Parmesan)
2 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Stir and Enjoy

My stepdaughters are with their mom today, but they gave me a really nice card & a box of Sees chocolates. Yum! :) The girls' mom even sent me a card & a star lily to let me know how much I'm appreciated. Pretty cool huh!

My sister & her husband's family took my mom out for brunch & my DH & I are having her over for dinner. We're just going to throw some steaks, zucchini, portobella mushrooms w/smoked mozzarella & corn on the cob on the grill. Of course, I did the preparing, he'll do the actual grilling. :LOL: Typical. ;)

Other than that . . . a nice quiet day. :)

Caine said:
SOUTHWEST CAESAR DRESSING

1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp brown sugar
1tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp granulated onion
2 tsp New Mexico chile powder
1 tsp paprika
¼ to ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
2 Tbs grated Cotijo cheese (can substitute Parmesan)
2 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Stir and Enjoy

Thanks!!

tonight my the others made roast pork (found a recipe) and we're having roasted potatoes and green beans and carrots. I also made some of the best darn Tofu ever!! it's in the oven and it smells devine!!!:chef:

My step dad made some lemon chix breasts with some cream of chicken type gravy and a little shrimp and veggie stir fry. It was pretty good. My mom made homemade bread pudding and that was very good!!!

I had a lovely Mothers Day - even tho my only "kids" are furred, feathered, & finned - lol!!

I got 2 dozen lovely long-stem roses (creamy white with deep pink on the petal edges), the latest "Midsomer Murders" DVD set, the Williams-Sonoma "Grilling" cookbook, & the "McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant Cookbook". Also got a cute little wren birdhouse & birdbath for my "kitty memorial/cemetery garden", & got taken out for a lovely omelette breakfast at the local nostalgic diner.

After a long day working around the house, asked for & got what I wanted for dinner - my favorite takeout pizza "Romano Ranch" (ranch dressing, romano cheese, spinach, mushrooms, & fresh diced tomatoes).

All in all, a really really nice day.

Back
Top Bottom