"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via MSN to AriesGirl71 Send a message via Yahoo to AriesGirl71
My BF is a picky eater! Help!

I have a hard time planning meals as my BF is so picky when it comes to food. He is a meat and potato guy but.. will only eat cube steak or round steak once in a great while.. right now he is burnt out on pork and says he is burnt out on all the meals i make. I am ready to pull my hair out. Planning the weekly meal and grocery shopping used to be so enjoyable for me but lately.. I just don't even want to bother. He is tired of potatoes as I was making that all the time (because that is all he wanted) until he told me he is burnt out on that too.. doesn't want rice or stuffing, etc.. I do ask him what he wants for dinner for the week when making a grocery list and all he says is.. I don't know. Sigh!! Is anyone else experiencing a picky eater in thier family and what do u do to solve it??? Any suggestions would be really appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Time for someone to grow up and eat what is plated is front of him.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Mr Half Baked eats whatever is set infront of him as long as it's not moving.

If he told me he's tired of my food, I'd hand him a skillet.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Yea, I'd have to agree with everyone else about this. Time to eat like a "big boy". I'd bet if he was as half as open minded as he claims to be he'd find a LOT of new foods to eat. Whenever I'm burnt out on any specific food it's usually my body's way of telling me I din't need any more of the nutrients this food is giving me. That's when I make a hard left and cook some stir fry for a few days. Go out and buy a bunch of different veggies and some skirt steak and some rice. Marinade the steak in something different every time you cook. Perhaps some shrimp are in order.

Cravings are your body's way of telling you that you need the nutrients found in the foods you crave.

Try taking him to the grocery store with you. I know there are a lot of times I simply don't know what to cook for dinner because I have no cravings. I take wifey with me and it really helps a lot. Although, she isn't really picky at all.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook

When I was living at home my sis went through a phase like this....mum said if she didn't want to eat it she could cook her own! She is not a fussy eater now!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

I have a little different take on this.

We have two BILs, each of which is very, very picky.

One clearly outdoes the other however.

Has eaten the same thing for breakfast for, oh, forty years or so.

Pizza, sure, just make sure it is cheese only, not extra cheese, or with any other topping, just pizza.

For dinner he eats meat, usually beef, and taters.

Don't make anything with more than one or two ingredients. Add some onion to a dish and it will be shunned.

The other one is a bit more open minded regarding food, but not by much.

Neither of these guys will eat anything they had not been served by their moms.

And one is in his sixties, the other in his fifties.

They are not about to change now.

The one thing these guys do, however, is let you know what they will and will not eat, their menus do not change.

Aries, sorry, have no suggestions. Know how frustrating it must be for you.

Good luck and take care.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd recommend a brief conversation on the topic. Either sit down with me and plan a menu for the week or shut up and eat whatever I put in front of you.

Really, in less harsh terms you're asking him to participate in the process. If he doesn't want to participate, he loses the right to complain.

If he refuses, and continues to complain but offer no suggestions, he's acting in a passive agressive way towards you.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Time for someone to grow up and eat what is plated is front of him.

And there it is! I agree 100%.

OR make yourself dinner, whatever you want, and eat. Tell him he can make himself something if he pleases, or he can have what you prepared. IF none of those are apeasing, tough cookies buddie!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
Head Chef

I think you've been handed some excellent advice. I always said if I'd born a child who was a picky eater it would have starved! This might be the tip of the ice-berg though....my warning lights would be blinking!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

My advice: Listen to everybody, especially Lindatooo.... I married a guy who doesn't like anything.... and I mean anything! After getting tired of having every meal frowned on, I told him that the next time it happened, he was going to do his own cooking. Well, guess what? Next night, meal is served and I get a big frown..... that was it. Next night he asked when dinner was and I told him it was anytime he made it because I wasn't cooking. This went on for a week and finally he was begging for a meal, any meal. He's better about eating anything now, but still not great.

My own little bit of advice: It is NO FUN being married to a guy who is a picky eater. It will eventually take ALL the fun out of cooking.