"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Those look great June, Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Yes Steve really does know his stuff, although he got rid of the black eyed pea salad from his menu. Good thing I got the recipe before he stopped serving it.
Would that salad be anything like Texas Caviar? I have that recipe, and love it.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Yes Steve really does know his stuff, although he got rid of the black eyed pea salad from his menu. Good thing I got the recipe before he stopped serving it.
GB, please share the recipe. If you can't post it, send it to me via PM. Buck and I would probably love it. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
GB, please share the recipe. If you can't post it, send it to me via PM. Buck and I would probably love it. Thanks.

That just aint right.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Well, jeekie-poo, he could PM it to you, too. I was just trying to be a good doobie and observe copyright rules.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Here ya go. Enjoy!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Steve Uliss. He is the owner of Fireflys. He is a Northerner, but learned how to BBQ from John Willingham.
Hey! What's that about Northerners?

You know you're a dedicated BBQ'r when you fire up the Webber in 5-degree F. weather and have to shovel our the BBQ area and form a 6-foot widbreak on the West side to keep the wind and snow off of ya. That's my yard in the winter. And as for talent, you only have to ask anyone who's had something off of my grill, anythin off of my grill.

Northerners, rise up against the predjudice of the South. They think they are the only ones who can cook with fire! I say, we should invite them up here to da U.P. and show 'em how it's done.

Ha! Gotcha. You think I thought that you thought that I thought that you were dissin us up here. Go ahead, admit it. Well, I know you better than that.

But seriously, something to show of with, hmmmm, let me think. What about smoking a whole turkey on that bad boy. If you haven't done it, it's really easy, requires little effort, is inexpensive, and makes the best turkey ever. But to do it right, you need some good wood chips and a smoker box for your grill (can be as simple as two disposable pie tins with holes poked in the top one).

Technique:
Bring a twenty pound turkey to room temperature in warm water. Remove and take out the gizzards, neck, etc. Put those in a pot to boil. Drythe bird and rub with softned butter. Lightly salt. You will cook this bird with indirect heat until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees at the leg-joint.

To do this, soak fruit and maple-wood chips in water for 30 minutes. Fire up all burners to get everything good and hot. Turn off one of the burners and place the wood chips into the bottom pie tin. Cover with the perforated tin and place of the lit burner. Place the bird breast-side up over the unlit burner and close the cover. Make sure that the glass of your meat thermometer is covered with foil to prevent the smoke from fouling the glass. Figure cooking time at ten minutes per pound. This will allow you to check the thermometer and insure that you don't overcook the bird. REmove to a platter when it's done. Let rest for 15 minutes or so. REmove the breasts whole and slice against the grain. Serve with honey glazed carrots, also cooked in a pan on the grill.

After the meal, ask the boss for a raise. If that one doesn't get you the raise, cook him up a crown roast made from pork tenderloin with the rib-bones attaced. If you want the recipe, just ask.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
He is a Northerner, but learned how to BBQ from John Willingham.
I know this name from Memphis. So of course he is good!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #29
Executive Chef

GB, how ya makin' out with the new toy?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

I spend last Friday assembling it. Who would have thought that I would have gotten a job in high tech and then spend my day assembling a grill

We fired it up a few days ago for the first time and it worked like a charm. We just did burgers and dogs, but everyone was thrilled to be able to do it.