My boss had me order a grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
We use an Amex card in the office which earns us points. I was talking with my boss the other day and the subject of grilling came up. We decided it would be a lot of fun if we got a grill and cooked out once a week. He checked with the landlord to see if there were any issues with us doing this and found out that there were none, so he gave me the go ahead.

I just ordered this Weber grill. Now I will have to start thinking of good recipes to impress them with.

Jeekinz said:
......what's all that green stuff on your grill?

Romaine cut in half - before you grill it you slather with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once it's off the grill and plated top with whatever - you can make a Caesar salad dressing, or a vinaigrette and top with feta, red onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Grilling brings out this wonderful flavor!!!!

Romaine cooked in a wood-fired pizza oven is the best but I don't have one of those :(

GB said:
We use an Amex card in the office which earns us points. I was talking with my boss the other day and the subject of grilling came up. We decided it would be a lot of fun if we got a grill and cooked out once a week. He checked with the landlord to see if there were any issues with us doing this and found out that there were none, so he gave me the go ahead.

I just ordered this Weber grill. Now I will have to start thinking of good recipes to impress them with.
verrrry nice! I have some great recipes from when I used to teach grilling classes that I'll be happy to send you, if you like.

Great grilling books are (imho): the one Jamie Purviance wrote for Weber; Chris Schlesinger's "The Thrill of the Grill," and "Taming the Flame," by Elizabeth Karmel.

I will never turn down any recipes ChefJune! Thanks!

I took a grilling class from a local BBQ restaurant owner who has been winning award after award after award. I have about 20 recipes from him that I have been loving, but I am always ready for some new ones!

kitchenelf said:
Romaine cooked in a wood-fired pizza oven is the best but I don't have one of those :(

Pretty good calzone and, for the more accomplished, pizza can be baked in a Weber charcoal grill, especially is you use real charcoal instead of briquettes.

He didn't tell GB yet, but the Boss invited his friends and family.:LOL:

"GB, I want mine well done."
"GB, make mine medium, but crispy"
"GB, make mine medium, but not too medium....you know what I mean."
"GB, I don't eat meat."

:ROFLMAO:

When I moved into my first apartment, Thrill of the Grill was my bible for a couple years. I still have it, and will leaf through it for inspiration every now and then. I make the cornbread recipe out that book all the time.

GB, you can't really go wrong with a steak, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked to medium. Of course, that same can be said about Tuna Steak. Shrimp, skewered, seasoned with salt and pepper, and grilled over a slow fire, then served on a Ceasar salad is a wonderful summer dinner. I could go on and on. I just love cooking on my grill in the summer :)

While I am at home I love grilling steaks, tuna, and shrimp. At the office I think I will have a hard time getting the boss to cough up that kind of dough. Who knows though, he may surprise me :LOL:

GB said:
I took a grilling class from a local BBQ restaurant owner who has been winning award after award after award.

Who is that, GB?

Lee

Last edited:
Ahhh... suh-wheet!!!!!! I don't think I have anything for you that you have not already tried or taken to the next level, but I do look forward to seeing what all else pops up!!!

Yes Steve really does know his stuff, although he got rid of the black eyed pea salad from his menu. Good thing I got the recipe before he stopped serving it.

Thanks for leading me back to this thread, GB! Here are a few recipes. The Prime Rib Rolls are a tasty way to incorporate great beef without all the cost, since you only use a small amount per serving.

BARBECUED VEAL CHOPS

makes 4 servings

4 loin veal chops, 1-1/4 inches thick, about 3 pounds in all

The marinade:
1-1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons spicy mustard sauce (see recipe)
1 tablespoon. light rice miso
1-1/2 tablespoons medium-dry Sherry
1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/3 cup scallions, cut into 1/8-inch rounds, white and green parts included
1 tablespoons green peppercorns in brine, drained and crushed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup medium-dry sherry (for deglazing, if broiling indoors)

1. Trim the veal chops, removing most of the outside fat. Then score each chops on both sides by making opposing diagonal slashes about 1/4-inch deep.

2. Combine the soy sauce, olive oil, spicy mustard sauce, miso and 1-1/2 tablespoons of sherry in a bowl. Stir well, then add the ginger, garlic, scallions, green peppercorns and pepper. Mix thoroughly.

3. Place the veal chops in a dish large enough to accommodate them in a single layer. Rub the marinade on both sides of the meat. Marinate at room temperature for 4 hours, or up to 12 hours in the refrigerator.

4. To barbecue the veal chops outdoors on a grill; adjust the rack so that it is not more than 6 inches from the coals. Light the coals and allow them to burn about 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the coals turn white, place the veal chops on the grill rack. Cook for 6 minutes, then turn over and cook another 6 minutes. This will produce a medium chop, crusty on the outside and pink on the inside. Allow the meat to sit at least 5 minutes on a serving plate. Then serve.

To cook indoors in the broiler, preheat the broiler 20 minutes. Place the veal chops on a rack resting in a shallow roasting pan. Broil them as close to the flame as possible for 6 minutes. Turn the chops over and carefully sprinkle in 1/2 cup Sherry, which will prevent the drippings from burning and will add flavor to the natural sauce. Broil the chops another 6 minutes, them remove them to a serving platter. Reduce and deglaze the drippings by placing the pan over a low heat, then stirring until all the juices have been incorporated into the sauce. Pour this over the chops.

SPICY MUSTARD SAUCE

makes about 1-3/4 cups

1 2-ounce tin of Colman's dry mustard
3/4 cup medium dry Sherry
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup Pommery cracked-seed mustard

1. Place the dry mustard in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the machine on and off while pouring the sherry through the feed tube. Continue processing until you have a smooth, thick paste. Add more sherry if necessary.

2. Add the Dijon and Pommery mustards. Then pulse the machine a few more times to blend. Adjust the consistency with more sherry, if necessary, to achieve a thick mustard sauce.

3. Store in lidded glass jars in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

SWORDFISH KEBABS WITH PEPPERS, LEMON and BUTTER

makes 4 servings

2 pounds swordfish (steaks or chunks) cut into 1-1/4-inch cubes
juice of 2 lemons
1 stick unsalted butter
1 each red & yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, cut into 1-1/4-inch squares
freshly ground pepper
sea salt to taste

1. Place fish in 1 layer in a shallow glass dish. Combine peppers, lemon juice, butter and freshly ground pepper. Pour over fish and marinate about 1-2 hours, at room temperature.

2. Thread fish pieces on skewers, alternating with various colors of peppers. Grill, turning and basting frequently with remaining marinade -- about 10 minutes. Salt to taste. Pour any remaining marinade over kebabs and serve

GRILLED PRIME RIB ROLLS

makes 6 servings

12 fresh asparagus spears (5-6" long) 12 carrot strips about1/2-inch thick & 5-6 inches long
1 pound beef prime rib, cut into 12 thin slices
potato starch
3 tablespoons sake
6 tablespoons water
1/4 cup Tamari soy sauce
3 tablespoons Mirin

1. Steam vegetables separately until crisp tender (about 5 minutes). Cool.

2. Arrange 2 slices beef with lengths slightly overlapping to make a 6x6-inch sheet. Brush lightly with potato starch. Place 2 asparagus spears and 2 carrot strips along edge nearest you and roll away from you: roll should be fairly tight. Tie with string and place rolls in a glass dish.

3. Combine all remaining ingredients to make marinade. Pour over the rolls and marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours. Remove rolls from marinade and insert 2 skewers in each, one through each end of the roll. Grill quickly on each side. (Meat is so tender that little grilling is required.)

4. Remove string and skewers and cut each roll into 1-1/2-inch lengths. Arrange on individual warmed plates by standing cut rolls on end to show vegetables.

5. Heat remaining marinade and spoon around rolls -- not on top of them. Serve immediately.

Teacher’s Tip: When using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them for at least 1/2 hour before using, so they won't catch fire while you're cooking them.

Back
Top Bottom