"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Executive Chef

My favorite fast food

Good British Fish and Chips is the best fast food in the world (for me) it has to be Haddock proper thick chips not frozen processed shoe laces.
Click image for larger version

Name:	padeswood 011.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	8848

What is your favorite with pics if possible.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, where to start? sorry, no pics, and i could never pick a favourite. variety is the spice of life, as it goes.

pizza is #1, but there's lamb and beef souvlaki, sausage and hot peppers parm, texas weiners, fried chicken, a reuben and fries, lots of chinese take out (pork yat gaw mein soup, wor wonton soup, chinese pork ribs, snails in black bean sauce, spicy beef chow ho fun, singapore chow mei fun, kung pao, shrimp and broccoli in garlic sauce, sauteed baby bok choy, young chow fried rice, and so on), tex-mex takeout (fajitas, tacos, burritos, guacamole, nachos), and more as i think of it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Tom mate I should have said fast food that originated from the indigenous people of the posters country.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Tom mate I should have said fast food that originated from the indigenous people of the posters country.
Well, then, I'll have to say poutine. Poutine is french fries covered in a layer of cheese curds and then covered with gravy. That's the basic, but it comes in lots of varieties. It originated somewhere in Quebec. I first came across it in small Quebec towns, back in the very early '80s. It spread to Montreal, then to other parts of Canada, and is now available in some places in the U.S. where it is sometimes known as disco fries.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Head Chef

LOL, could be you've opened a 'fast food' can of worms here!
Technically, anything you can get quickly is 'fast food' and dunno how you can limit it to 'originating' in that country. Example being the U.S., where Taco Bell and Pizza Hut et al are considered fast food and neither of their items originated in the U.S. but are considered 'American'.
Then how do you differentiate between fast food and take-out (take-away)? If you eat a burger inside a fast food joint, is it still 'fast food' or if you 'take-away' fish & chips, is it still 'fast food'?
Many things to ponder, isn't it fun to be pedantic!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I love a good pedant
Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Laugen broetchen mit handkaese oder liederkranz.
Fried Lake Superior Whitefish.
Troegenator double bock beer.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, so, skip the pizza but keep sausage and peppers parm.

from friends in italy, no one there adds garlic laden sugo di pomodoro to salsicce con pepperoni, then melts low moisture mozarella over top and then calls it alla parma, aka parmigiana, pronounce parma-john, lol.

and keep texas weiners. oddly enough, i have no idea if people in texas, a sum of 1760 miles away from new jersey, eat these things. but we have them.

it's a boiled beef hot dog, or better, a deep fried beef hot dog, topped with yellow mustard, minced raw onion, and a spiced minced beef sauce.

i really shouldn't start the hot dog debate. people near chicago always flip out.

and keep the tex mex as well.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Laugen broetchen mit handkaese oder liederkranz.
Fantastic Bill, it sounds like the title of a certain type of movie that I of course have never seen
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Senior Cook

When I want food fast, it will be fried chicken. In the pan with a little olive oil, browning to perfection with a handful of thinly sliced onions and perhaps a chilli, chicken breast or boned leg meat, it takes no time at all. The chicken will provide me with protein, and to make it feel satisfyingly comforting, a thick slice of brown wholemeal toast, nice and crunchy.

While the chicken is doing, I'll slice some tomatoes and make a quick dressing, a sprinkling of Maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper and maybe a couple of gratings of nutmeg. If scallions are around I'll thinly slice one and sprinle it along with a couple of sprigs of flat leaf parsley from the garden.

and I'll have a mug of tea.