My husband, the gourmet chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
DH has always enjoyed cooking...in fact, that's how we got together in the first place. But now that he is retired, he has basically taken over.
Last night, he prepared an inspired meal! He usually sears the salmon fillets, but he announce that he wanted to poach them in chicken broth this time. I suggested that he add thyme, rosemary, lemon and a bit of butter. I also found a bag of asparagus from our garden that was frozen last spring, and left him with that as I went to take my bath.

He braised the asparagus spears in the poaching liquid first, then removed them and poached the salmon. He prepared the dill sauce (my recipe) and baked a couple of Yukon Gold potatoes to go with. It was a most delectable meal that you'd be hard put to find in a restaurant.
I'm so proud of him!

I'm jealous ;) Wish my husband would take such initiative in the kitchen from time to time. Sounds like a wonderful dinner :chef:

My husband is really a great guy - he took some initiative in the kitchen tonight - he got the stuff to be thrown in the trashcan and put in the dishwasher the CLOSEST to those two things as he EVER has. :(

Good for you and I bet that salmon was most delectable!!!!! I poached salmon in white wine one time (with those very same herbs/spices you mentioned and I think I added a smashed clove of garlic and some whole peppercorns) so thanks for the reminder because it was by far the best salmon I had ever had!!!! Will have to put a sticky note on my fridge to poach more often!!!!

Don't you love a man that cooks and.......um........comes close to the dishwasher and trashcan???? :LOL:

Constance said:
DH has always enjoyed cooking...in fact, that's how we got together in the first place. But now that he is retired, he has basically taken over.
Last night, he prepared an inspired meal! He usually sears the salmon fillets, but he announce that he wanted to poach them in chicken broth this time. I suggested that he add thyme, rosemary, lemon and a bit of butter. I also found a bag of asparagus from our garden that was frozen last spring, and left him with that as I went to take my bath.

He braised the asparagus spears in the poaching liquid first, then removed them and poached the salmon. He prepared the dill sauce (my recipe) and baked a couple of Yukon Gold potatoes to go with. It was a most delectable meal that you'd be hard put to find in a restaurant.
I'm so proud of him!

And here I'm just thankful my DH scrapes his own plate in the garbage and puts it in the sink. Now that I think about it he did cook some when we first started going out but it abruptly stopped..... hmmmmm think that may have been when I signed on the dotted line.
The meal sounds amazing and I'll have to keep it in mind. Tell Kim we're very proud of him and next time take some pics so we can drool ;) .

Constance, your DH's dish sounds fabulous! I usually panfry the salmon and serve with a dill sauce. Since I will be picking wild asparagus soon, you can bet that I will have a go at his version!!

That salmon sounds so good, and cooking the asparagus first was inspired. My husband makes a mean spaghetti sauce but that's about it. He will tell people that one of his "hobbies" is cooking. I just roll my eyes and keep my mouth shut.

Back
Top Bottom