"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Marion, you got it!

You may have smelled rutabeggers (hehe) cooking when you got off the bus...but have you ever smelled tripe cooking when you were walking down the street?

Agreed, my parents did the best with what they had. Nevertheless, it's laughable. Imagine a 10 year old knowing what cooking tripe smelled like.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

I put mine in the frig the night before or put it in the sink in cold water to thaw. I'm too afraid to leave it out, although, my mom did it too.
I keep my ketchup in the frig too.
I really don't remember things other than the meat, that my mom did that is scary to me now. I'll have to think on that one.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I put mine in the frig the night before or put it in the sink in cold water to thaw. I'm too afraid to leave it out, although, my mom did it too.
I keep my ketchup in the frig too.
I really don't remember things other than the meat, that my mom did that is scary to me now. I'll have to think on that one.
My very first job was as the 'greeter' at the Rustler Steak House at the Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ...back in the days when the mall still was open air and a Tbone at the Rustler was the most expensive thing on the menu for $4.99 for the complete meal. I recall that a condiment rack was on each table, left on the tables, forever. Heinz 57, worcesteshire sauce, A1 steak sauce and Heinz ketchup...all left out, overnight. I was stunned. Shocked and stunned.

It took almost 18 months to properly retrain my mother and the rest of my family to leave the ketchup in the cabinet. Sadly, I've never been successful with getting the idea of serving hot food across.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Oh my gosh!

You know what tripe smells like??? Did you live on my road? Were you a passenger on the same school bus? Vera, I have found you... LOL!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #15
Everymom

OK, have you ever smelt head cheese being made? Or how about being hit with a wave of fermenting sauerkraut when you open the door. Ugh. Still love sauerkraut, can't even comtemplate head cheese.

My Mom always cooked for an army, usually because one or two of us would bring home stray friends for dinner. Sometimes two or three per kid. LOL. She never complained, just added more food to the table.

Her quirk is not so much the cooking piece its the refrigerator. I have found generic cheez whiz that was more than 10 years old. My daughters were about to use it on their toast...EEK! Mom's fridge is legendary. Words like "science experiment", "depression fridge" have been bandied about. Ugh. She would even save veggie water to use in gravy.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Head Cheese & Sauerkraut....

Yup, Alix has been there....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Mom was a good cook. I never had prepared foods as a kid growing up. She cooked from scratch.

She was frugal to a fault. She would wash out Saran Wrap and aluminum foil and use it over. I her later years, she stopped washing Saran Wrap, it was to much of a hassle.

She always used all of a chicken or turkey. We seldom bought canned broth.

I don't have a clear memory of how she thawed frozen food. I'd guess she put it out on the counter.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
Master Chef

I can't remember any stand out quirks my parents had with cooking, but the meat did sit out all day and I do it myself.... or at least til it is cool to the touch and thawed.

As far as unplugging appliances... I do that, more to save energy than anything, but safety too. I keep everything unplugged unless it is something like the fridge.... you would be amazed to find out how much energy your TV burns even when it is turned off!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I can't remember any stand out quirks my parents had with cooking, but the meat did sit out all day and I do it myself.... or at least til it is cool to the touch and thawed.

As far as unplugging appliances... I do that, more to save energy than anything, but safety too. I keep everything unplugged unless it is something like the fridge.... you would be amazed to find out how much energy your TV burns even when it is turned off!!!
Sattie, I much prefer my illusion of a slight touch of dementia in the gene pool when it comes to the appliances
Old 09-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

my dad was a fireman before i was born, so we always unplugged everything except the fridge if we were going to be out of the house for a good part of the day or longer.
like sattie said, a lot of electronic devices today use power even when turned off (oddly enough, they didn't back then but were more of a risk for fire using linear power supplies), so it's a good idea to unplug stuff, just to conserve energy.

my mom only defrosted stuff on the counter if she had to, if it was a rush. otherwise, she was ahead of her time. that is a down to earth, warm hearted and often funnier version of edith bunker. she is an amazing woman.

the only thing she did that i won't replicate is her "norwegian eggnogs" for breakfast on cold winter days. she would blend a few raw eggs into chocolate milk until it began to froth. e voila'. you didn't mind the taste, and you grew a shiny coat.
it was the doggie biscuits in our lunch that really bothered me... (j/k)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote