"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Is it possible to have multiple mothers? Several of yours sound like mine. She was not a good cook, she was not even a midiocre cook...but she did feed six of us...cornbread, pinto beans and potatoes were mainstays in our house. I do remember the liver she cooked though, she didn't like it and it was evident by the way she cooked it...I think I still have a pair of boots around with liver soles .

I thaw things mostly in the sink. Looking in my frig occasionally surprises me . My sister and BIL never throw anything away...when I ask why they didn't throw something away, they say, "I wondered when you were going to throw that disgusting stuff away!" Why didn't you throw it away? "I thought maybe you were saving it for something!" Yeah, right, slimmy remains of romaine and I'm saving it for something? Lord bless 'em, if I die, they're in trouble!

Oh Jean, you forgot I was on here :D

Old 09-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #32
Senior Cook

My mother was a very good cook. And presented food in a lovely way. Meat and greens were purchased on a daily basis weekdays, but no shops were open in the weekend, so it was roast on Saturday lunch and and curried eggs on Sunday.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Oh Dale, dont you just wish the shops were still closed at the weekends here?? Maybe then we could see families playing, sitting and eating together again.

Vera, your mentioning a gallon of milk and your bike reminded me of my Mum sending me across the 6 acre horse paddock every evening to fetch fresh milk from the neighbours. All went well until I dawdled and daydreamed one evening and dusk had just fallen. Didn't see the horse I swear!! Got a kick in the head and I dont know how I got home. I was 7 years old at the time!!!

My mum was an amazing cook, but she too would thaw things on the kitchen bench. Now I know why, maybe once a year, the whole family would come down with a ' tummy bug'. Hmmmmmm, "we caught it off someone" mum would declare but I NEVER heard of any friends/acquaintances having the tummy bug around same time as us!! lolol Nope. Methinks that chicky was to blame!!
With what we all know now, mum would never have let her food thaw on a bench. I use cold running water to hasten it along and feel very bad about wasting water!
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Yes Lyn, I do, but I fear we will never see that time again. When I lived with my grandmother milk was left at the gate in a billy can. The bread was in the post box. Bottles came later, the only place I have seen bottles in the last few years has been in Chch. The butcher visited 3 times a week for her order, and so did the fruit and veg man.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Well, at least we dont have nightcarts anymore. lolololol

Sorry to hijack this thread Vera, I couldn't resist!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I really don't know how my mom thawed meat but she sure turned me against vegetables. I swear she cooked them down until they were grey. I can rememer green beans simmering on the stove for hours.

It took me years to eat anything green besides salads.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

I had a mother who thawed meat on the counter, too. I do the same.

My mother was from the deep South and cooked every vegetable for hours, with a big hunk of some kind of fat (usually fatback or margarine) and a load of salt. No wonder my dad died of a heart attack at 50!

The one weird thing I really remember her doing is, at the beginning of every school year, she'd ask us what we wanted for lunch and you'd better be very careful how you answered because THAT is what you'd get everyday for the entire year! I still remember 8th grade - canned corned beef sandwich with mustard, a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll, an apple, and milk. Thirty-eight years later and I still can't eat canned corned beef! BLECH!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #38
Master Chef

give me another heart attack, now at 25. i'm nationally certified in kitchen safety. give me palpitations, tee-hee. my Dad thaws via microwave or under cold water or such.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
...the only thing she did that i won't replicate is her "norwegian eggnogs" for breakfast on cold winter days. she would blend a few raw eggs into chocolate milk until it began to froth. e voila'. you didn't mind the taste, and you grew a shiny coat.
it was the doggie biscuits in our lunch that really bothered me... (j/k)
Bt, that was too funny. You actually got a snicker from me with that one.

My mom was a great cook and did things properly. But she didn't cook often enough. My older sister did most of the cooking around our house.

When Mom made pancakes, they were always the silver-dollar sized ones. She always managed to turn steaks into shoe-leather as well. Other than that, she made phenominal, from scratch food.

Her quirk was to send all of us kids, especially me, away to freinds houses, or outside to play. She didn't really play with us. And her favorite syaings were, and I quote, "Kids are to be seen and not heard.", and "Do as I say, not as I do.". We lived a double standard in our house. Adults could and did swear, smoke, and drink moderately when other adults were over. But children were not allowed to swear, had to use proper English skills, and were expected to be out of sight and earshot of the adults. We were pretty much left to our own devices for play-time and such. But it was easy. I wasn't a troublemaker, had a huge river (thrity-five feet deep and 3/4 mile wide) to play in, woods everywhere, and a thirst for high-adventure. The lifestyle was great for me and allowed me to grow and become very independant and self-reliant. But each of my sisters got into some trouble during their lives. They all grew to be respectable adults however.

Also, my mother expected me to be religious, which I am, and she rarely went to church. So my mother's quirks were that she had a need to be socially accepted, almost a social butterfly, required and exceptional husband (and my step-father was just that), and didn't like to give her time to her children very much. And yet, she loved us, and genuinely cared about us. She wa a complex woman who had endured a hard childhood of her own. And it affected her throughout her life.

And I owe her a debt of grattitude, for it was her unavailability that forged the need for me to be the best father I could be for my kids, giving them all of my time and resources.

All I can say is that life is a strange thing. I got much of what I needed from my mother's weaknesses. They made me strong.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen
Yes Lyn, I do, but I fear we will never see that time again. When I lived with my grandmother milk was left at the gate in a billy can. The bread was in the post box. Bottles came later, the only place I have seen bottles in the last few years has been in Chch. The butcher visited 3 times a week for her order, and so did the fruit and veg man.
I'd kill to have a butcher come riding down my street, or the green guy! I'd pay dearly to have milk left in the box at the front door again!
I hate going to the supermarket because I hate giving them money! I love grocery shopping, and I love shopping for a meal on the day I'm planning it. Instead, I have to drive 5 towns away to get to the butcher, 2 towns away to get to a decent produce store, three towns away for good bread, etc...