"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
Head Chef

SSSHHHH!! Don't tell my hubby about these links!! Granted I have to point out the color of peanut butter, cocoa and such for him to know what I want, but it is working!!!!!! This thread reminds me that I need to make up some gumbo before I go away for a week, for him. Remember, he isn't allowed to use any pans outside of one little skillet!!!!! So it has to be re-heated in the microwave.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
SSSHHHH!! Don't tell my hubby about these links!! Granted I have to point out the color of peanut butter, cocoa and such for him to know what I want, but it is working!!!!!! This thread reminds me that I need to make up some gumbo before I go away for a week, for him. Remember, he isn't allowed to use any pans outside of one little skillet!!!!! So it has to be re-heated in the microwave.
it's not quite gumbo season yet, but here are my 3 my biggest secrets...

1. make your roux with bacon grease, or with no grease at all.
2. make a good shrimp-based seafood stock that has simmered for hours.
3. make the gumbo a day ahead... the best gumbos have "rested" at least 12 hours before eating.

i'm totally off-track with this post... why oh why did you have to mention, "gumbo?"

Old 08-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Shunka, I would say you're mean, but, I do the same with my BIL. One skillet and one knife. If he uses my good knives and pots/pans, he's in a world of .... stuff!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
Head Chef

LOL!! I know I am mean BJ but this man cracked one of my best cast iron skillets 20 years ago!!!! How he managed that, I have no idea as I was the one bringing home the bacon back then, lol. BC, I always use bacon grease or at the least real butter for the roux!!!! Same with the stock; I save all shells, etc just for this reason. I have never been to LA but have some friends that have tried my recipes (I just go by handfuls) and they have told me that I am so close to authentic that I must have lived in LA in a past life. That makes my day to hear that!! Especially seeing as how I am born and raised in AZ!!!!!! A co-worker of hubby's is from LA and he along with his wife love my GUMBO!!!! To me that means soooo much!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Isn't Love Grand.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #16
Head Chef

LOL!! Yeah it is; just changes a bit after almost 30 years together. Most times for the better!!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #17
Head Chef

What a wonderful "fight" to have! You are very lucky!

2 in Or
Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo
What a wonderful "fight" to have! You are very lucky!

2 in Or
this was nothing compared to the fight over who made the best red beans & rice... they've been arguing about that since the day they met 40 yrs ago.