"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #41
Sous Chef
I ate snake in Australia, tastes just like chicken. Yes I will it eat again. Love ostrich and emu.

Imagination is evidence of the divine. William Blake.
africhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #42
Sous Chef
Sea cucumber - it was a gray, jelly-like, bland substance. I thought it was some sort of vegetable processed in a way I didn't understand. Then I looked it up. There are other names for sea cucumbers. One is sea rat, another is sea slug. I'm glad I didn't know at the time.

simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #43
Assistant Cook
I ate a live oystar kind-of-thing when I was in spain... yes it was still alive and moving. Someone bet me 50 Euroes i wouldn't eat it, so i took the bet on, and won the 50 euroes lol. But i wouldn't do it again... it was disgusting haha. :P
x-termin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #44
I was on a cruise and ordered something and didnt know what it was, but figured hey why not try it. Well I tasted it and made this awful face and the waiter asked me if I didnt like it and I told him it tasted like (butt). He laughed and said he agreed with me but it was some weird animal liver made into a liquid with ice creme. It was so NASTY. I dont remember what animal though
I love to cook!!
Lisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #45
Head Chef
Scotland-haggis (loved it)
Jamaica- goat (loved it)
Grandma's kitchen- blood sausage, make mine crispy (loved it)
Alaska-all the seafood, especially the razor neck clams ( loved it)
Canada, Saskachewan- pizza with shrimp and pineapple (loved it)
Benihana's Alaska-squid (good! it was tender and not over cooked)
Up the road at a friend's - beaver roasted (really not bad at all, would eat that again)
There are still so many things I want to try, seems like my list only gets longer as time goes on.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, blissful, I miss blood sausage. It's one of my favorites. Love it crispy, too.

As for unusual, I don't really have any. However, I'd have to say "misunderstood" would have to be the closest.

Many years ago when I was traveling in Europe, the breakfast card I had to fill out at one inn/hotel had beverage selections, with an "other" as a choice.

It was cold weather, so I wrote in "hot chocolate."

They took me at my word. In the morning, I had a cup of melted chocolate. Thick, sweet and good. A bit too much for early in the morning, though.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #47
Executive Chef
Hmmmm.....I don't travel to much, but I went to the Bahamas way back in the day when I was like 10-12 years old. I went to a restaurant with my brother, there was 4 things on the menu: Conch; Conch; Conch; and Chicken. They were out of chicken. lol So we ordered the conch. Wasn't anything to write home about.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #48
Senior Cook
well it wasn't when i was travelling, but my dad grew up on the farm and had an unusual cut of beef, we had cow tounge for dinner. i think i would probably eat it again just as long as i didn't know what it was. :)
Gone. Like yesterday is gone.
~emz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #49
Master Chef
emz, I once had beef tongue at a Basque restaurant. It was not too bad, it came family style with the dinner, but I don't think personally I would order it myself.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #50
Sous Chef
Azores, Portugal - pronounced " la pish" some type of sea critter. Flatish, roundish textured shell. You ate them by scraping them off the shell. I didn't know they were alive until I ate one and after that they poked one with a finger and I saw little "legs" all around. Afterwards, I imagined I felt it walking around in my stomach.

JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote