National Bacon Day Dinner - 12/30/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well now...here's another holiday to be excited about..."Meat Candy Day"!!

I'll be giving this recipe a go tonight...Best Bacon Shrimp Pasta Recipe - How to Make Bacon Shrimp Pasta

OK, we're still groaning with pleasure here (hold the remarks ;)). I do believe we just finished one of our favorite pasta dishes ever. The flavors were a perfect blend for our tastes and the only change I made was for a can of fire roasted tomatoes in lieu of fresh, and some pasta water to loosen up the sauce.
Ohmygosh, this was so good, I'll gladly make it again and again!!
Viva shrimp and bacon!!!

PC300062_1.jpg

Lots of good looking meals tonight.

No bacon on my plate, unfortunately. :ermm:

I went out for sushi. It's sort of a tradition with my family around the holidays. I had a grilled squid with ginger sauce and avocado salad. DD had a dragon roll and Ex-Mrs K had a fiery roll and some lobster thingy, which I had a bite of. It was very good, although it probably would have been better with bacon.

FbNsM0T.jpg

IfNpaTo.jpg

Last edited:
I had some good, thick sliced bacon vacuum sealed in the fridge. Just enough for a bacon sandwich. I tossed it into one of my new carbon steel skillets, and toasted a hoagie bun I had in the fridge, too. I coated both sides of the bun with Miracle Whip, and made a very satisfying bacon sandwich.

Sorry, no pig candy tonight.

Now, I'm sleepy, so it is either coffee time or bed time. The jury is still out on that.

CD

Last edited:
Due to a mess-up in our original plans, we came up with a quick Plan B...which, sadly, gave me no opportunity for bacon. :cry: We ended up at a sushi and Japanese cuisine buffet, Yellow Tail. Since I like my sushi cooked well-done, I pretty much kept to the hot food side of the display. I did, however, take a few new-to-me items off the cold side. First plate: cold crab stix salad, seaweed salad, spicy dried mushrooms, and peeling shrimp. Second plate: BBQ pork steamed bun, pork gyozo, plus miso soup. Third plate: my made-for-me plate from the teppanyaki grill. Fourth plate: pork egg roll, yellowtail fish, steamed clams, sweet-and-sour chicken (minus sauce), spicy stir-fry veggies, BBQ rib.
Last plate was a small selection of dessert items. However, none of us can remember the name of the cookie in this solo shot I took. Can anyone tell us the name, please and thank you!

Attachments

• 20171230_213601.jpg
    20171230_213601.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20171230_210211.jpg
    20171230_210211.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20171230_212230.jpg
    20171230_212230.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20171230_214714.jpg
    20171230_214714.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20171230_220252 (1).jpg
    20171230_220252 (1).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 139
Due to a mess-up in our original plans, we came up with a quick Plan B...which, sadly, gave me no opportunity for bacon. :cry: We ended up at a sushi and Japanese cuisine buffet, Yellow Tail. Since I like my sushi cooked well-done, I pretty much kept to the hot food side of the display. I did, however, take a few new-to-me items off the cold side. First plate: cold crab stix salad, seaweed salad, spicy dried mushrooms, and peeling shrimp. Second plate: BBQ pork steamed bun, pork gyozo, plus miso soup. Third plate: my made-for-me plate from the teppanyaki grill. Fourth plate: pork egg roll, yellowtail fish, steamed clams, sweet-and-sour chicken (minus sauce), spicy stir-fry veggies, BBQ rib.
Last plate was a small selection of dessert items. However, none of us can remember the name of the cookie in this solo shot I took. Can anyone tell us the name, please and thank you!

French Palmier cookie?
That's my best guess anyways CG

Last night (Saturday) was the first of 4 days of restaurant meals before I fly off to Missouri..

Stopped into a little place we like and I had fish and chips, Jeannie had smothered chicken.. Not a piece of bacon in sight... :(

Kayelle... I will make that pasta dish when I get to D & SIL home.. I know they will like that.. :yum:

Ross

Last night (Saturday) was the first of 4 days of restaurant meals before I fly off to Missouri..

Stopped into a little place we like and I had fish and chips, Jeannie had smothered chicken.. Not a piece of bacon in sight... :(

Kayelle... I will make that pasta dish when I get to D & SIL home.. I know they will like that.. :yum:

Ross

It's a dish to impress for sure Ross. The best part is it's easy and quick, with a beautiful presentation. Your daughter can contribute with a beautiful salad and you'll be a star. ;)

Funny, by the time I thought to eat last night it was time for bed. I had a chocolate milk day, bought a quart of TruMoo and that was it. Transitions from night shift to days off is rough.

I am trying a recipe from the Instant Pot book I got for Christmas. It is chicken and has (wait for it) BACON! I didn't even know it was bacon day when I picked it! It also has mushrooms and I am making rice to go with it.
Well, this was the first Instant Pot dish that was mildly disappointing. Maybe that is partly to do with the fact the recipe didn't come from or wasn't inspired by Ms Mofet! :)

The sauce lacked flavor and the chicken nowhere near resembled "roasted". It was more like stewed. I am getting comfortable enough with the machine now that I think I know ways of making it better.

The sauce, with its plethora of mushrooms and onions, was good with the rice and a very generous shake of salt!

Oh, the bacon flavor was missing as well. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom