National Bacon Day Dinner - 12/30/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tenspeed, good article:
And that’s just the tip of the pig, so to speak. Other types of bacon are made nowadays and not all of them come from pig meat. Some of the more popular forms of bacon include duck bacon, gypsy bacon, slab bacon, pepper bacon, elk bacon, lamb and beef bacon, venison bacon, turkey bacon and soy protein bacon. However, not all bacon enthusiasts agree that these types of bacon are bacon at all.
Gypsy bacon?

More salad, more meat stuffed potato dumplings in gravy, and cucumber sour cream salad.

From the link: "In 1539, Hernando de Soto brought 13 pigs to the Americas and within 3 years he had a herd of them that was 700 strong." Heh-heh, pigs were here nearly a century before the Pilgrims. Take THAT, Plymouth! :mrgreen:

We'll be heading out in a bit for the annual Holiday Light Display that is put on by the Canton Parks and Rec department. About 50 displays, all visible from inside the confines of a warm car, and it's free. If you know Himself, you know his favorite phrase is "if it's free, it's for me". After our tour, we'll head out for a birthday celebration dinner with the kids, who turned 37 yesterday. :ohmy: Looking online, this place fits the bill of "not fancy, but not Mom and Pop or fast-food". 3 Brothers Corner Tavern. I guess I should order a burger with bacon?

Last edited:
Bacon. Not bacon, sausages for breakfast.

Camping out at Dx's now thru NY. Gonna light the fireplace and stay comfy cozy, watch movies and football, eat snacks and otherwise veg out. That’s my plan. I think she has some chores lined up for me, one them is haul all her many boxes of Christmas decorations back up to the attic and who knows what all. I think she makes lists in her sleep. Just the two of us on New Year’s Day this year too-- a rarity.

Dinner tonight is a package of Swedish meatballs I made for Christmas eve that we didn’t serve. Lord knows, I made a double recipe. Egg noodles, orange ginger cranberries, some veg or salad and she is making custard rice pudding,

New Year’s eve I am making one of her favorites, Teriyaki. Chicken (skewers) plus teriyaki pineapple chunks. Snacks and munchies will probably come out during football afternoon.

NY day we are having Dx's best homemade chicken vegetable noodle soup and probably leftover appy’s, unless we eat too much during the bowl games, Then soup for supper is about right. Dx makes the best flavored chicken broth.
Yeh, yeh, I know this is early. I may or may not be on a computer this weekend.

From the link: "In 1539, Hernando de Soto brought 13 pigs to the Americas and within 3 years he had a herd of them that was 700 strong." Heh-heh, pigs were here nearly a century before the Pilgrims. Take THAT, Plymouth! :mrgreen:..

Ironically, both DeSoto and Plymouth are cars that, unlike the pigs, have not survived the Americas.

I didn't realize that I was keeping up with the times today.

I'm having a salad with bacon bits, and a bacon cheeseburger with steak fries.

I am trying a recipe from the Instant Pot book I got for Christmas. It is chicken and has (wait for it) BACON! I didn't even know it was bacon day when I picked it! It also has mushrooms and I am making rice to go with it.

We needed to start using the truffle, so I told Craig I wanted to sort of recreate a dish a chef made for me a long time ago when Craig took me out for a special dinner. The chef used some lovely pink shrimp that were either very, very gently poached or sous vide'd and horror of horrors now, the dreaded truffle oil.

I decided to make a risotto. Made a court bouillon, poached a bunch of shrimp, as well as some squid in it. We'll use some of the shrimp and the squid in a couple of days to make marinated seafood salad (plus some mussels frozen in their steaming liquid I found in the freezer looking for something else a couple of days ago) for a small plates meal. Anyway, used leeks and garlic for the vege in the risotto, plus the court bouillon for the liquid. I did drop some of the shrimp shells in the stainless colander and dropped it down into the court bouillon to simmer for a little more flavor while I peeled the shrimp and sweated the vege for the risotto. I also discovered some very well wrapped homemade truffle butter on my freezer diving expedition that I had made the last time we had a truffle and had a tiny piece left. It was in perfect condition, not a bit of freezer burn and tasted wonderful, so about 3 or 4 Tblsp of that went in the risotto to finish. Plated risotto, lined up the shrimp, shaved the truffle and drizzled with a bit of olive oil.

Told Craig only thing I would change is that I would also make some homemade truffle oil next time to drizzle instead of just plain.

Attachments

• 2017-12-30 18.48.09.jpg
    2017-12-30 18.48.09.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
We needed to start using the truffle, so I told Craig I wanted to sort of recreate a dish a chef made for me a long time ago when Craig took me out for a special dinner. The chef used some lovely pink shrimp that were either very, very gently poached or sous vide'd and horror of horrors now, the dreaded truffle oil.

I decided to make a risotto. Made a court bouillon, poached a bunch of shrimp, as well as some squid in it. We'll use some of the shrimp and the squid in a couple of days to make marinated seafood salad (plus some mussels frozen in their steaming liquid I found in the freezer looking for something else a couple of days ago) for a small plates meal. Anyway, used leeks and garlic for the vege in the risotto, plus the court bouillon for the liquid. I did drop some of the shrimp shells in the stainless colander and dropped it down into the court bouillon to simmer for a little more flavor while I peeled the shrimp and sweated the vege for the risotto. I also discovered some very well wrapped homemade truffle butter on my freezer diving expedition that I had made the last time we had a truffle and had a tiny piece left. It was in perfect condition, not a bit of freezer burn and tasted wonderful, so about 3 or 4 Tblsp of that went in the risotto to finish. Plated risotto, lined up the shrimp, shaved the truffle and drizzled with a bit of olive oil.

Told Craig only thing I would change is that I would also make some homemade truffle oil next time to drizzle instead of just plain.

No bacon?

CD ;)

med, that was one terrific freezer diving expedition!

Well, no bacon here I'm afraid...
I made one of my oldies but goodies

View attachment 28802

... my version of a Chicken Hatch Chile Enchilada plate,
chased with a local micro-brew beer (for moi).

You know that those enchiladas would have been even better with some bacon in them. Don't deny it.

CD ;)

Were the truffles uprooted by a pig that will eventually become bacon, maybe?

Doubtful, I think they use dogs more than pigs since the pigs are more prone to eating them.

We'll be having our pig products tomorrow night.

Back
Top Bottom