National BBQ Day Dinner - 5/16/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Purists will cringe, but I'll slop a little BBQ sauce on boneless chicken breast strips, toss them on the grill and call it barbeque (flame suit is on!). We'll finish the last of the black bean and corn salad, with a garden salad on the side.

What's that saying Kayelle likes, tenspeed? "My Kitchen, My Rules"? I say you can apply the same reasoning to your northern grill.

No BBQ of any kind here. It's cool, with the promise of rain later today. My plan was to use the "other two" chicken breasts from the four-pack I bought, simmer them with aromatics, and make a simple pot of soup to pile noodles into. However, the gloom of the day and a restless night make the leftovers look rather appealing. I'll let you know what we end up with later...

Just got back from dropping SO off at the airport for a week in FL with her kids, grandkids and great grandkid. I have a list of meals she won't eat planned for this time. Tonight will be either alfredo or carbonara depending on my mood.

See, these "days" rarely work for me because I don't know about them before I plan our meals [emoji38] We had smoked ribs Sunday and Monday and smoked pulled beef Tuesday. Taking a day off.

I just made tzatziki and next I'll make baked seasoned pita chips. I have some bone-in skin-on chicken breasts, so I'll season those up and throw them on the grill. We'll also have Greek salads.

Oh and tenspeed - as long as you spell it with a Q, you're good ;)

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite, toss my hat in the ring and fire up the grill. Catalina French dressing sauce brushed on bone in chix breasts, The mixture I usually use includes apricot jam or orange marmalade. This seems too sweet by itself for me today,so I added some Tiger sauce and grated ginger in the dressing. Minced onion instead of onion soup mix which makes my ankles swell just thinking about that.

Green bean salad, like three bean salad, only 1 beans. Also a little onion mixed in with the salad too. Ice tea and Figgy newtons from the store for dessert.

My multi meat copycat bolognese from DDD with freshly made pappardelle. A simple salad prior.

Attachments

• 2018-05-16 18.00.40.jpg
    2018-05-16 18.00.40.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 133
Delicious watercress soup pushed to happy with lemon. Toast and butter. Vegetable curry. Oh and some oyster mushrooms rockafeller for just a taste.

Just got back from dropping SO off at the airport for a week in FL with her kids, grandkids and great grandkid. I have a list of meals she won't eat planned for this time. Tonight will be either alfredo or carbonara depending on my mood.

I ended up making the carbonara. I used the Serious Eats recipe calling for a pound of pasta but cut it down to ¼ Lb. It came together perfectly but I think I'll use more cheese next time.

I opened a can of kipper snacks and had to share with the cat, had some mangodale cheese ( wensleydale, but with mango chunks) yummy sweet treat.

Yumm....lovely sounding dinners.

Tenspeed...no cringing about BBQ sauce here! Every now and then I like a slather of bottled sauce on grilled chicken, usually mixed with a little soy sauce to counter the sweetness. I especially like the little charred bits. :yum:

I bought a nice ribeye yesterday and was looking forward to grilling it today, but the wind came up. :neutral: I ended up with a BLT salad this afternoon - it was good, but I'm looking forward to that ribeye tomorrow.

See, these "days" rarely work for me because I don't know about them before I plan our meals...
Here's a link to one site. If you pick something and start the dinner thread first, you can plan to serve the Daily Special. I'm all in for National Pack Rat Day...as long as they aren't the meal, that is. :ermm:

Ended up with chicken-chicken-chicken and veggie soup. There was a LOT of meat on those breasts!

Attachments

• 20180516_202101.jpg
    20180516_202101.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 108
I had the culinary opposite of bbq last night: a sashimi platter, and a California roll.

Attachments

• 0516182351b_HDR.jpg
    0516182351b_HDR.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top Bottom