National Beer Day Dinner - 4/7/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
National Beer Day is celebrated in the United States every year on April 7, marking the day that the Cullen–Harrison Act was enacted after having been signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 22, 1933, making the sale of beer legal once again. Upon signing the legislation, Roosevelt made his famous remark, "I think this would be a good time for a beer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Beer_Day_(United_States)

Dinner tonight will be chicken fajitas. It will also be a good time for a beer.

I was going to go shopping today and buy ingredients for cheese fondue. But it will have to wait till tomorrow :(.

Tonight MAY be linguine with white clam sauce. Never know what DD will want.

My dad's oldest sister was a die hard - mean spirited active member of the WCTU clear up to the early 60's when she went toes up. Don't think she knew her bros including my dad quaffed more than a few in their day.

Here's to the repeal of the Volstead Act (clink)

Dx is making a chicken casserole and salad and asparagus. I tisn't doing nothing to contribute towards dinner today. Probably dishes after. That'll work.

My dad's oldest sister was a die hard - mean spirited active member of the WCTU clear up to the early 60's when she went toes up. Don't think she knew her bros including my dad quaffed more than a few in their day.

Here's to the repeal of the Volstead Act (clink)

Dx is making a chicken casserole and salad and asparagus. I tisn't doing nothing to contribute towards dinner today. Probably dishes after. That'll work.

A few of my uncles (grandpa's brothers) made a tidy living importing commodities from Canada in the days before that repeal, and one had a small business making a refreshing beverage with grain, barley and hops. Every once in a while, they had a bad batch, and the product had to be disposed of in the river below the factory. Seems the bad batches always happened when men in suits and black cars were spotted approaching on the road to the factory. What a mystery.

I don't know what I am going to make for dinner. I'm not in a great mood. It was 86 yesterday, and I woke up to 32 this morning. It is 38 now. On the days to come, I get to wonder what I'll be replanting in my pepper and herb garden. :mad:

The non-alcohol beer in my fridge is not going to be much consolation. :rolleyes:

CD

I'm making up a small casserole dish of cheese enchiladas. The queso fresco and corn tortillas I bought the other day for huevos rancheros needs to be used, and I pulled a small container of enchilada sauce from the freezer - that should be enough. It will also give me a chance to use up a few spoonfuls of my leftover pico de gallo, and the last of the refried beans will be a side.

No beer, though. I'll settle for wine. ;):)

Today's dinner thread has it all: laughs (thanks tenspeed and your "New Beer's Eve"), history (Whisk, the WCTU is still in business :huh:), and food. Yum.

I have two options planned: pork chops (probably breaded), mac & cheese, green beans, and salad if my back isn't chirping. Toasted ham and cheese sandwiches on croissants with salad or canned soup if my back is hurting. Whichever one set aside today will show up in a few days anyway. Let you know what we end up having as late-night news.

Today's dinner thread has it all: laughs (thanks tenspeed and your "New Beer's Eve"), history (Whisk, the WCTU is still in business :huh:), and food. Yum.

I have two options planned: pork chops (probably breaded), mac & cheese, green beans, and salad if my back isn't chirping. Toasted ham and cheese sandwiches on croissants with salad or canned soup if my back is hurting. Whichever one set aside today will show up in a few days anyway. Let you know what we end up having as late-night news.

If your back is hurting, go straight to the beer. Your back will feel better, your food will taste better, and your DH will look better. Win, win, win.

CD:D

Pasta with our oven dried tomatoes, chicken breast brined, roasted and sliced, dried basil, parm, white wine, chicken stock, red pepper flakes, and mozzarella pearls stirred in last minute or so of cooking.

I wanted to use fresh basil, but discovered that the fresh that looked fine yesterday turned brown overnight.

Attachments

• 2018-04-07 18.11.34.jpg
    2018-04-07 18.11.34.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 154
Well, I came up with an appetizer. I sliced some cherry tomatoes and some Texas 1015 sweet onions, and tossed them in EVOO, fresh black pepper and parmigiano-Reggiano for a nice salad.

Not sure what's next.

CD

I'm not a beer-drinker, so it's rarely part of my menus. I thawed some lasagna sauce and DH and I made stuffed shells. He's finishing it up with garlic bread and green beans.

I can't take credit for New Beer's Eve - refer to the Wikipedia link.

On 4/7/1933, an estimated 1.5 million barrels of beer was consumed, with a barrel containing 31 gallons. With a population of 125 million, that works out to 3/8 of a gallon of beer consumed for each man, woman, and child in the U.S. April 8 must be hangover day!

Cooking and eating should be fun. Fun facts, weird holidays, etc. all contribute to the enjoyment.

SousChef is two houses down sharing his IPA growler with a buddy while I fix dinner.

I waaaaay over bought lots of cheap veggies at the dollar store, and even after sharing them with neighbors, my fridge is stuffed. It's too warm for soup so I'm making a big pan of Ratatouille to go with the pan fried pork chops. Toaster oven Tater Tots sound like a good idea too.

Beautiful meals all.....

Ended up making salads and ham-and-cheese croissant sammies. Back's still Okish, but I ran a couple loads of laundry and I'm the one who got rung out. :LOL: BTW, that is only one sandwich, cut in half and set on the cut sides. I hid out in the den with supper and the TV. Himself is downstairs, muttering loudly as he does taxes. At least he's doing them early this year. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20180407_220702.jpg
    20180407_220702.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 120
Back
Top Bottom