National Cheese Lovers Day Dinner - 1/20/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made cacio e pepe for the first time. I didn’t have any pecorino on hand, so I used Parmesan. It was quite good, actually, but it begged for a hit of garlic IMO. Next time, I’ll crush a clove and add it to the olive oil and “pepe.”

I had a hotel room in the city today, so after checking in, I decided to stop by a Boston Market that was next door to try their prime rib special.

The prime rib wasn't ready to be served, so I took out the quarter chicken and 4 rib dinner special.

When I got back to the room and sat down to eat, I was surprised to see what I bought.

It was a single rib and a few shreds from another rib, and a tiny piece of chicken breast that was dry and hard. I tried to pull off the wing as a going concern, but it sort of snapped off in half. It was so so overcooked it broke in the middle of the bones.

Now, I normally don't complain about badly served food, especially fast food, but this was too much. I marched right back to the Boston Market and demanded a refund.

When the manager asked me for the receipt, which I forgot to bring, he just shrugged and said that he'd refund the money since he remembered me buying it just minutes before. It's like he knew that I'd be back considering the plate of crap that he himself served me.

They will be getting a choice review fro me tomorrow.

Anyway, I walked down to a Greek restaurant nearby and got pork souvlaki and "Greek" fries (round, sliced, fried potatoes with lemon, oregano, and grated cheese).

It was very good, especially their tastsiki.

Moon? What moon, Kayelle? :LOL: We're still completely socked in with clouds, unfortunately.

Completely forgot most of the country couldn't see that spectacular moon tonight CG. Souschef started howling at it and the neighborhood dogs all joined in. That man!!

When the manager asked me for the receipt, which I forgot to bring, he just shrugged and said that he'd refund the money since he remembered me buying it just minutes before. It's like he knew that I'd be back considering the plate of crap that he himself served me.

They will be getting a choice review fro me tomorrow..

Don't forget to mention the stupid manager. Why would you need a receipt?? Duh...:wacko:

I made a pot of Mexican chicken tortilla soup and it sure hit the spot. Did anyone besides us take a look at the Super Blood Wolf Moon tonight?

DOH! I missed it! I forgot last night was Super Blood Wolf Moon night. :huh:

CD

I had a hotel room in the city today, so after checking in, I decided to stop by a Boston Market that was next door to try their prime rib special.

The prime rib wasn't ready to be served, so I took out the quarter chicken and 4 rib dinner special.

When I got back to the room and sat down to eat, I was surprised to see what I bought.

It was a single rib and a few shreds from another rib, and a tiny piece of chicken breast that was dry and hard. I tried to pull off the wing as a going concern, but it sort of snapped off in half. It was so so overcooked it broke in the middle of the bones.

Now, I normally don't complain about badly served food, especially fast food, but this was too much. I marched right back to the Boston Market and demanded a refund.

Anyway, I walked down to a Greek restaurant nearby and got pork souvlaki and "Greek" fries (round, sliced, fried potatoes with lemon, oregano, and grated cheese).

I haven't eaten anything from Boston Market in 20 years -- at least. There is a reason for that. You would have done better with a frozen dinner in the hotel room microwave oven.

CD

I made cacio e pepe for the first time. I didn’t have any pecorino on hand, so I used Parmesan. It was quite good, actually, but it begged for a hit of garlic IMO. Next time, I’ll crush a clove and add it to the olive oil and “pepe.”

Oh, I love cacio e pepe. So simple, and yet so satisfying. And yes, you can't have too much garlic in that dish, IMHO. When you think you have used too much garlic, add a little bit more.

Well, that's how I roll. :chef:

CD

Was it early for dinner? You may have gotten a piece of chicken that had been prepared for lunch and never sold..sitting in a warmer for hours..

Prime Rib??? Now I know you and DH are related!!!! Sorry about your dinner.

National Cheese Lovers Day Dinner

We love Cheese!
I like the softer ones, while DH prefers Hard Cheese aka Parmesan.
So, for supper I'm putting that pan of Three Cheese Lasagne into the hot box
(I didn't make it the other night after all)
and a loaf of No Knead Roasted Garlic Clove Bread
Can't Wait!!!

005.jpg

I think I put just a touch too much sauce in the Lasagne, but this was very tasty. The three cheeses were the regular cast of characters, Parm-Ricotta-Mozz ...
The bread, I'm not understanding what happened here: I put in 8 large cloves of Roasted Garlic, and I found maybe two of them through that entire loaf.
It wasn't a very large loaf, we got about 6 1 inch slices and had 2 leftover ;) it was very good.
I'm trying to remember why I stopped making my own bread :chef::LOL::rolleyes:;)

We were overrun with squirrels until a family of bald eagles set up housekeeping by the river. We've seen an eagle swoop down, grab a squirrel and fly off with it. no doubt that happens often.

The greatest thing about sous vide cooking is that you can cook lean pork at 140F for long enough to achieve the same food safety results that you would get at 160F, without overcooking the meat.

Science is great!

Several years ago, the FDA said that pork is now safe when cooked to 140°F. As someone mentioned upthread, trichinosis has been essentially eliminated in today's pork.

Last edited:
View attachment 33211

I think I put just a touch too much sauce in the Lasagne, but this was very tasty. The three cheeses were the regular cast of characters, Parm-Ricotta-Mozz ...
The bread, I'm not understanding what happened here: I put in 8 large cloves of Roasted Garlic, and I found maybe two of them through that entire loaf.
It wasn't a very large loaf, we got about 6 1 inch slices and had 2 leftover ;) it was very good.
I'm trying to remember why I stopped making my own bread :chef:[emoji38]:rolleyes:;)
My dinner looked very much like that [emoji38] but I forgot to take a picture. I made stuffed shells with Parmigiano Reggiano and Asiago cheeses in the ricotta mix and topped it with mozzarella. I used lasagna sauce from the freezer and also served it with homemade bread.

Yeah. It’s tough to get your head wrapped around medium pork. We’ve been conditioned to believe it is dangerous unless well cooked. Not sure it would be good with the fattier cuts, but solid meat like loin deffinitely benifits.

Last edited:
Yeah. It’s tough to get your head wrapped around medium pork. We’ve been conditioned to believe it is dangerous unless well cooked. Not sure it would be good with the fattier cuts, but solid meat like loin deffinitely benifits.
It's so juicy :yum: I went to a chef's table event a few years ago and the chef made pork loin. He emphasized the new standards and I was thrilled. So good. I agree about the fatty cuts, though. They need to be cooked longer to break down the connective tissue and become tender.

Back
Top Bottom