"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
Head Chef

National Chocolate Day Dinner - 10/28/2018

It's National Chocolate Day, but I'm passing. Maybe Ross wants my share?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...18/1798801002/

After yesterday's horizontal rain, it's grilling night. Tonight's dinner was brined thick porterhouse pork chops (bone-in with the tenderloin), wild rice blend with bacon and shallots in the Zoji, roasted brussel sprouts. You?

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Me?
Well, my plan is a short version of Sunday Supper, Italian-Style.
I found a package of Cheese Tortellinis in the deep freeze
so I'm a thinkin' that a of super meaty (crumbled Sweet Italian Sausage) Red Sauce atop that and some nice bread from TJ's would fit the bill.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I had my chocolate fix yesterday when I got my oil changed at Sewell MINI. When I picked up my car, the cashier gave me some awesome dark chocolates.

As for today, I have very mixed feelings. My Steelers won big (Le'Veon who?), but Pittsburgh is mourning -- it is a small city, full of good people.

Not sure about dinner, yet.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PitStrong.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	32084  
Old 10-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

Made a big pot of red gravy w/ sausage and meatballs....
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Well, I did decide on an appetizer. Deep fried pickles.

Still thinking about what's next. Ross already set me up with my imaginary dessert.

CD
Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Neither I nor DH have very many spoons. I'm also fairly lame with the arthritis in my hip. DH brought me the ingredients for making salad and ranch dressing while I sat at the dining table. He got some frozen tortellini ready and added some Classico Spicy Red Pepper pasta sauce, while I made the salad and dressing. Teamwork, yay!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds nice, taxy. I'm pretty much a team of one in the kitchen, good days or bad. When it's really bad, I send Himself out for carry-out. He can do carry-out real good.

ten, we have a small piece of chocolate every day - 80-some percent cocoa or higher. Health purposes, you know.

I bought a bag of pizza dough at the store on Friday. Used it today to make two small calzones - chicken parm for Himself, mushroom-spinach-tomato for me (forgot to get ricotta at the store - dang!). I guess they turned out good - Himself ate all of his, except for the small piece I took for myself to try. He got a similar size of my mushroom one to try...then finished off the third of the calzone I didn't have room for. I'll probably make these again...in about 10 years, once I forget how much I had to arm wrestle the dough.

Quite by accident, I found where Dropbox has been hiding my current photos from my new phone - in the middle of my existing photos in July, 2017. Seriously? Ah, whatever, just so long as I remember where they're hiding it's all good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-10-28 21.47.39-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	32085  
Old 10-29-2018, 03:57 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sounds nice, taxy. I'm pretty much a team of one in the kitchen, good days or bad. When it's really bad, I send Himself out for carry-out. He can do carry-out real good.

ten, we have a small piece of chocolate every day - 80-some percent cocoa or higher. Health purposes, you know.

I bought a bag of pizza dough at the store on Friday. Used it today to make two small calzones - chicken parm for Himself, mushroom-spinach-tomato for me (forgot to get ricotta at the store - dang!). I guess they turned out good - Himself ate all of his, except for the small piece I took for myself to try. He got a similar size of my mushroom one to try...then finished off the third of the calzone I didn't have room for. I'll probably make these again...in about 10 years, once I forget how much I had to arm wrestle the dough.

Quite by accident, I found where Dropbox has been hiding my current photos from my new phone - in the middle of my existing photos in July, 2017. Seriously? Ah, whatever, just so long as I remember where they're hiding it's all good.
I hate Dropbox. Every once in a while, a customer will ask me to send phots to them via Dropbox. I am honestly considering charging them extra to use Dropbox.

As for dinner, the deep fryer was already hot from the fried pickles, and my arteries were already prepped for a fried food assault, so I thawed out some chicken tenders, used the leftover flour from the pickles to coat them, and fried them up.

I am now very well lubed. I shouldn't squeak for 30 days, or 3,000 miles -- which ever comes first.

CD
Old 10-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I spent all day on a bread project, so what did I make for dinner? Stir fry, of course! Chicken, onions and peppers, green beans, celery and a sauce I kept adding more stuff to. Turned out great. I served it with leftover basmati rice and store-bought egg rolls.

Name:	1028182035a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	32100
Old 10-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

We had an appetizer meal last night. Fried potato skins with cheddar, sour cream, bacon, green onions; fried mushrooms; and St. Louis ribs marinated Galbi style, precooked in oven and finished on grill.

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocolate, dinner