National Spaghetti Day Dinner - 1/4/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I built a loaded up tostada this afternoon. :yum: Hit the spot.

Spaghetti sounds good, too - it's been a while. I'll have to make that soon. Along with the meatloaf...and chili....:ermm::LOL:

I stopped at a local place that has good BLTs. There was a NDSU party going on for the Bowl Game here in town tomorrow, so I got to chat with some people from Fargo, while I ate my BLT. They said 14,000 people came from ND for the game. I wasn't aware that there were 14,000 people in ND. :D

CD

Last edited:
Thinking of a quick one pot dinner, I threw together a ground beef and rice dish with what I had on hand (onion, garlic, onion soup mix, cheese and sour cream). Pretty good. I was going to use heavy cream but it tasted suspicious so I switched to sour cream. The tang it gave the dish was an improvement.

Beef Ragu..

Attachments

• 49666814_1982830135351539_1674880174191017984_n.jpg
    49666814_1982830135351539_1674880174191017984_n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 49158334_1994383613949393_4559280103086882816_n (2).jpg
    49158334_1994383613949393_4559280103086882816_n (2).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 156
...I wasn't aware that there were 14,000 people in ND. :D

CD
Heck, just the city of Minot has over 47,000 people. I guess their "Why Not Minot?" promotion works!

I'm home alone, left to my own devices. Himself and Goober are off at a "First Fridays" Art Walk in Canton, and I just wasn't in the mood to wander city streets in 40 degree weather. They'll probably bop into a local joint for food. I might make a salad (good for my body) or just graze on smokies, beef jerky, and various cheeses (good for my soul).

Heck, just the city of Minot has over 47,000 people. I guess their "Why Not Minot?" promotion works!

I'm home alone, left to my own devices. Himself and Goober are off at a "First Fridays" Art Walk in Canton, and I just wasn't in the mood to wander city streets in 40 degree weather. They'll probably bop into a local joint for food. I might make a salad (good for my body) or just graze on smokies, beef jerky, and various cheeses (good for my soul).

In Texas, we have First Monday Trade Days in... Canton, Texas. I've never been, but it is a huge deal down here. Just not my thing.

https://firstmondaycanton.com

CD

Last edited:
That looks like a flea market kind of set-up, cd. Canton OH (and Putnam CT, and Akron OH, and probably hundreds of other cities around the country and world) have their "First Whatever-days" on the city streets/shops and restaurants on the route. We've done both all three over the past half-dozen years. I like them best when the weather is nice and my feet aren't crabby. I find it funny that both Canton and Akron hold theirs all year long, whereas Putnam runs their events only in nicer weather - something like April through October. Wimpy New Englanders! :LOL: They aren't like tenspeed, who will grill in a blizzard wearing cut-offs and flip-flops (or so I guess...).

Edit: It looks like Wadsworth OH also runs First Fridays. That's one of the cities we're considering if we ever move back to OH.

Last edited:
I CI seared up a little NY strip steak. Forgot to have a veg, maybe later.

That looks like a flea market kind of set-up, cd. Canton OH (and Putnam CT, and Akron OH, and probably hundreds of other cities around the country and world) have their "First Whatever-days" on the city streets/shops and restaurants on the route. We've done both all three over the past half-dozen years. I like them best when the weather is nice and my feet aren't crabby. I find it funny that both Canton and Akron hold theirs all year long, whereas Putnam runs their events only in nicer weather - something like April through October. Wimpy New Englanders! :LOL: They aren't like tenspeed, who will grill in a blizzard wearing cut-offs and flip-flops (or so I guess...).

Edit: It looks like Wadsworth OH also runs First Fridays. That's one of the cities we're considering if we ever move back to OH.

Yes it is a flea market, and crafts market, which is why it doesn't appeal to me. It has been around since the 1850s, and now covers about 100 acres, and in a good month, gets 100,000 visitors/shoppers.

I just thought it was interesting that Canton, OH and Canton, TX both hold the same kind of event.

CD

Lots of rivers and other bodies of water were heavily polluted and caught on fire. The Cuyahoga catching on fire finally spurred the government to pass the Clean Waters Act and form the EPA.

You're welcome!

Warning! Warning! Warning to all Hawaiian pizza haters. Avert your eyes now! It. Was. Delicious!
IMG_20190104_222303292.jpg

Tenspeed, I was looking forward to the "11 pipers piping" for the dinner thread today.

Tonight we finished off the last of the NYD dinner of black eye peas/ collard greens/ham, and the Mexican cornbread. I added some red chard to the pot and it was even better than before.

Or Aleppo pepper, Kayelle? ;) If you were closer, I would make one for you. A regional pizza chain, Donato's, used to make a thin crust Hawaiian pizza with ham, pineapple, almond slices, snd a dusting of cinnamon. Sadly, no almonds in the house except for whole Smokehouse almonds! The small naan breads are a decent substitute.

I'd make one for you, too, Cheryl.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom