Nearly Lost Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selkie

Executive Chef
Many of us have old time recipes that most likely don't appear in modern cook books or on web sites.

I have one that is passed down called Cush.

Simply crumble cold cornbread into a hot skillet with either butter, or better yet, bacon grease and fry until evenly browned. Add a dash of black pepper and serve while hot in a bowl with either milk or half & half.

Searching through my mother's recipe file, she has crumbling 3x5 cards with titles such as Vinegar Rolls, Burnt Sugar Cake and Spiced Figs, which I would like to try some time soon.

We need to save recipes like these. They are a flavor memory to our friend's and family's past.

I agree. Saving these recipe so you can make them again is important.

Perhaps the quickest way is to scan the recipe cards into your computer and type them up a few at a time or as you make them.

Every year around the holidays I start a tourtiere recipe. Hmmm. My husband actually asks me to make this whenever we have friends who are having medical problems instead of a casserole.

Selkie, the dishes sound fine except Cush. My did used to eat crumbled corn bread and milk for supper sometime. It never appealed to me.

Every year around the holidays I start a tourtiere recipe. Hmmm. My husband actually asks me to make this whenever we have friends who are having medical problems instead of a casserole.

Is this the same thing as a pâté à la viande? Or otherwise known as a meat pie? Why would this help people with medical problems?

Is this the same thing as a pâté à la viande? Or otherwise known as a meat pie? Why would this help people with medical problems?

Yes, it is a meat pie that's a traditional dish in Canada around the winter holidays.

An interesting question. Why isn't there a move to preserve old recipes? There are preservationists for legacy vegetables, legacy animals, and many other disappearing items. My mother's (and my grandmothers) card recipe file disappeared somewhere along the line, and now I wish I had it. In the town where I was born, there is a danish restaurant which sells a cookbook full of old danish recipes, which she serves when the mood strikes her. No phone, no web site. Just good Danish food.

I guess that did sound rather goofy! It is just that when we have friends who are sick or indisposed, I usually bring over something to eat, lasagna or something similar. Especially if they have children. Meat pies are something you don't see much in this country and have been a huge hit lately ... a slice and a bit of salad from the bag and you have a hearty winter meal. Oh, yes, Mom says you need beets as well.

... It is just that when we have friends who are sick or indisposed, I usually bring over something to eat, lasagna or something similar. Especially if they have children. Meat pies are something you don't see much in this country and have been a huge hit lately ... a slice and a bit of salad from the bag and you have a hearty winter meal....

Oh, it's "comfort food!" I can understand that! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom