"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Miss Lefselover...

Quick and simple! There will be plenty of liquid! (If the lid is fairly tight)
375* for 4 hours is Too Hot and too fast!! for a brisket
The lower and slower the better!
I never go over 300* Usually in the 250* zone or lower.
Time will be in the 6-8+ hour range!

(Wonder if Hushpuppies would be good with this )

Enjoy!
I'd go along with Uncle Bob's suggestion except for the Hush Puppies

Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Never tried hushpuppies with brisket, but hey, ya never know!

Maybe a better idea would be just plain hot corn bread with Steens 100% Pure Cane Syrup on top! Ya think!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Miss Lefselover...

Quick and simple! There will be plenty of liquid! (If the lid is fairly tight)
375* for 4 hours is Too Hot and too fast!! for a brisket
The lower and slower the better!
I never go over 300* Usually in the 250* zone or lower.
Time will be in the 6-8+ hour range!

(Wonder if Hushpuppies would be good with this )

Enjoy!
Uncle Bob, your time and temp are right on for smoking in a smoker. She is braising in liquid. The time and temp in the original recipe will work. If it overcooks, it will fall apart rather than turining into shoe leather.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I agree with Andy, it should come out fine. Because the brisket is a pretty flat cut of meat (as opposed to a rump or chuck roast), the liquid should come up at least 3/4 of the way up. If it doesn't, just add a little more wine. No matter what the temp of the oven is, the braising liquid will never get higher than 212 degree F. And unless your brisket is Kobe, Wagyu, or Angus, it's an inexpensive cut of meat. What you would want to change in the recipe is:

1. Pan sear the meat after you season it and then deglaze the pan with the wine, stir in your chili sauce, lay down the onion rings, and then place the meat on top.

2. Get rid of the packaged onion soup mix and flavor the broth with similar components to get a similar flavor. If you use the onion soup mix, you have no way of controlling the amount of salt that goes into the braising liquid.

When it's done, don't forget to cut it thinly against the grain. This is the same cut of meat that is used to make fresh corned beef so treat it as such when you're slicing it.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Uncle Bob, your time and temp are right on for smoking in a smoker. She is braising in liquid. The time and temp in the original recipe will work. If it overcooks, it will fall apart rather than turining into shoe leather.
Andy...

As shocking as it may seem I did understand the recipe to be "braising"(?) rather than smoking! I strongly disagree (my opinion) with the recipe instruction of 375 for 4 hours! (Which was the question the lady posed) Will it work? Yes maybe! Will it produce something I would enjoy eating? probably not. Beef brisket is better served by cooking at low tempertures over a long period of time regardless of the cooking method. The results you state(your words surely not mine) I have never experienced after 6 hours or so at 250*or less. Thrice with a packer brisket at oven setting "low" and all night long. The lady ask for opinions and I stated mine. So now I will allow you have the last word! (maybe)

Regards...

Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Uncle Bob, I'll deefer to your knowledge of braising brisket for 6 hours at 250F. I've never done that.

I have braised meats at higher temperatures for shorter periods (3-4 hours) and they have been fine.

Let's agree that both could work.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Uncle Bob, I'll deefer to your knowledge of braising brisket for 6 hours at 250F. I've never done that.

I have braised meats at higher temperatures for shorter periods (3-4 hours) and they have been fine.

Let's agree that both could work.
Bon Appetit Sir!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #18
Executive Chef

[quote=LEFSElover]Here is one dilemma...not sure what chili sauce really is. Haven't ever bought it. I mean, is it that stuff that comes in a bottle with a white metal lid with maybe white writing on the bottle and consists of something that tastes like ketchup/worchestershire/horseradish/etc? How liquid is that stuff? The lid/cover has to be really secure, that much seemed important. Maybe foil first then a tight fitting lid even over that just to make sure the steam can't escape.
Not a chance Uncle Bob. I'll take your partial suggestion, but, it'll HAVE to be Lyle's Golden Syrup PERIOD!

Actually, the recipe says nothing of cooking in hot fat/oil/butter first, which is what many of the terms found here
cooking term, braising - Google Search
partially describe braising as...............also mentioned in the above is using a little/small amount of liquid, plus reading the above, the times and temps don't seem to jive either.
if any one wants to look these up you'll be surprised as I was, and the typo's are the weirdest thing ever, too. written incorrectly, misspelled, typed wrong, all trying to explain braising to me. again, it never said to cook the meat first in oil or fat. so if that is part and parcel of braising, then I am not supposed to be braising according to the recipe.
I feel a headache coming on. I've just looked online at the Magazine that printed this and oddly enough, 'that' recipe isn't online [only others] from the party menu. Humm...
Tomorrow, I'll sit spending hours in the largest independent bookstore in the world...
Powells bookstore - Google Search

From there, I hope to get some insight on a recipe such as this...just me, my diet soda and tons of cookbooks, I'll be in heaven

Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss LEFSElover....

Never had the Lyle's Golden Syrup, but it ain't noway it's better than Steen's Cane syrup!!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Miss LEFSElover....

Never had the Lyle's Golden Syrup, but it ain't noway it's better than Steen's Cane syrup!!
oh do check your PM's please