"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have a couple of breakfast suggestions.
I sometimes make a frittata for Sunday morning breakfast, and it is so good leftover! I have re-heated it, but it's just a good cold. A slice of that with a piece of toast and your beverage of choice would be a great way to start the day.
Pancakes are another thought. When I make them (on the week-end, also), I always make extra. They freeze well between sheets of waxed paper, and all you have to do is spread them with a little "tub butter",nuke and add the topping of your choice. If you get some of those pre-cooked sausage links, you could wrap a pancake around one for a breakfast sandwich.
A time saver for evening meals is to cook once and eat twice...or more. I love to open the freezer and find a ziplock bag of ham'n beans, spaghetti, etc.
When HB cooks on the grill over the weekend, I have him fill it up...then we have cooked meat for several nights.
Don't forget about those little rotisserie chickens in the grocery store! You can use them for all sorts of recipes that call for cooked chicken.
And don't feel like it's a sin to use some boxed mixes...there are some very tasty ones available. The same with canned soups. Only thing being, they are loaded with sodium, so watch how many of them you use.
Chef salads and garlic bread make a good, healthy meal, and if you have the ingredients on hand, take little time to make.

I think orginization is your best friend here. Sit down and make a menu plan and grocery list for the next week. Do preparation when you have time, and you'll be able to relax and enjoy your evenings.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
Master Chef

After a bout with cancer, and a lifetime struggle with weight, Mom finds that a half an English muffin, spread thinly with peanut butter, and a half a banana (cut in half) has tons of nutrition and flavor.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Breakfast!

Bagels, oatmeal, omlets, cold cereal, waffles (EGGO), english muffins, sausages and fried eggs, french toast. If any of these takes more than 15 minutes, you're not paying attention.

Dinners!

Stir-fry, any small piece of meat (chops, cutlets, burgers, chicken) served with a starch and a veggie. As mentioned above, frozen portions of larges batches of pasta sauce, pesto, lasagna, soup, stew, chili. Pasta alfredo, fritatta.

If you're focused, you can prepare, cook, eat and clean uop after a dinner for two in a hour or less. Especially if you have a dishwasher.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Mr. Breakdast is kewl!
I like the lamb shank idea... my wife is a much better cook than me, but she also has less energy than me.... I am trying not to become the primary cook here but i may have too
Old 11-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #15
Senior Cook

is it possible to bake a decent english muffin at home from scratch?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 AM   #16
Executive Chef

My mom was having quite a time with breakfast. She is almost 88, has maculear degeneration, and is diabetic. All of that really complicates what she can eat and also what she can find to eat, resulting in her putting off breakfast til it was bothering her insulin. She now has a piece of toast with peanut butter, or cheese, a glass of milk and juice. She can fix it herself and eat when she gets up. It only takes a jiffy and certainly starts her day out better. She insists in living in her own home and all of us live at least 2 1/2 hours away so things need to be simple for her. There are several people who drop by several times a week to check on her and I call her almost every day.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I will be learning the fine art of omelets and fritata's... DW has made the decision.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Order Now and Get 3 Free Gifts

GT XPRESS 101

GT XPRESS 101
The GT Xpress 101 cooks delicious food fast. No need to worry about turning your food as the dual cooking chamber keeps your food in contact with the heat on both the top and the bottom. The GT Xpress is easy to clean due to it's non-stick surface. The built in cord and compact design makes it easy for storage. The machine is simple to use and it has a ready light to tell you when the unit is preheated and ready to go plus it is Thermostatically Controlled to ensure perfect results every time. The floating hinge keeps the lid in contact with the food but also allows for enough space when cooking those baked goods and omelets. The instruction and Recipe Guide contain 101 great tasting recipes, half of which cook in 7 minutes or less. Product includes: GT Xpress 101, Instruction and Recipe Guide, Free Xpress Spatula, Free Xpress Mixer, and Free Xpress Chopper with Stainless Steel Blades. This product does not ship to HI, AK or PO Boxes.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:28 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Alton Brown did oatmeal in a crockpot on Good Eats. Also, homemade pancakes, waffles, and french toast freeze beautifully. I don't make them often, but when I do, I always make extra.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

Smile

I learned this tip from my mom to help with the morning. Prepare everything that you can the night before. Set out the cereal, bagels, or muffins (Of course the bagels or muffins still need to be wrapped up). Have the fruit cut up. Set the table. If making a breakfast dish from a recipe have all the ingredients ready and prepared. I even make my lunch the night before and load it into my lunch box in the morning to save time.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote