"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 11-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Need help with an idea for breakfast

While I think it's a great thing that we talk about our new kitchen aids and cusinarts and how grand dinner came turned out, but a thought has come to mind...
The wife and I are now cooking at least ounce a day often times twice a day and doing at least one complete meal a week.

I am wondering if any one has any tips on getting a well rounded breakfast together in 1hr while getting ready for work, reviving DW from the dead, ironing and everything else involved with going from bed to door.
Then again in the evening getting well rounded meal together in time to watch prime time tv.

I am discovering just how wonderous a dishwasher is, I thought it was odd when i read somewhere that a family had 2 dishwashers and just stored their dishes in them, but now i see and understand.

I am also patting myself on the back for getting a 6qt crockpot awhile back.

any other thoughts or suggestions anyone wants to share?

vilasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
i'm not big on breakfasts, but under 1 hour dinners are my house's specialty. almost all of my recipe posts are made in that time frame.

my wife swears by rachael ray's "30 minute meals" cookbooks. even tho she annoys the crap out of me (rachael, not my wife. ok, my wife once in a while), i have to admit that many of her recipes are easy, tasty, and fairly quick. 30 minutes is a crock tho, if you add in all of the prep work, and everything you need isn't right in the front of the cupboard and fridge, so i'd say most of her recipes are within an hour.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
What kind of breakfast are you guys accustomed to have? Usually continental type breakfast, or just cereal and milk etc. don't take up a lot of time to prepare... do you enjoy something like traditional full hot English breakfast type fare?

As for dinners, a good idea to prepare large amount of pasta sauce, stew etc., then put them in individual containers and keep them in freezer when you have more time, or weekends. They are a great relief when you just don't feel like cooking or have no time. Also, one of the time consuming parts of cooking is prep, like chopping up and slicing. You can do this ahead of time for various veggies, and again put them in separate containers and store in freezer. This can be also a good time saver. (just cook them while they are frozen, without defrosting)
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Sous Chef
You can make double of many pasta based casseroles and freeze one. Lasagna, stuffed shells, tuna noodle casserole and mac & cheese come to mind. I wouldn't freeze anything with potatoes such as vegetable soup. The potatoes (at least to me) becaome watery, yet grainy, and don't taste good.

As for breakfast, my sister makes breakfast wraps ahead of time.
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.--unknown, at least to me
purrfectlydevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Omelets are good and also easy, and wraps like purrfectlydevine mentioned. For wraps I use scrambled eggs, and sauteed veggies, cheese, salsa. Fresh fruit salad is great along with a muffin, or a bagel. Poached eggs and toast are good, french toast with a side of bacon, and crepes are all easy and fast to make. As for dinners, chicken, pork tenderloin, ham steak, are all quick and easy. Maybe make a homemade tomatoe sauce in your crockpot one day, and the next day assemble a lasagna. Mac and cheese is good with some corn and salsa added to it.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef
A full English (or, dare I say... Scottish!) breakfast would only take about 10 minutes to prepare. Fried bacon, sausages, eggs, black-pudding or haggis and grilled tomatoes... toast, fruit juice, fruit salad and marmalade for extra toast, a pot of good English breakfast tea (best is Twinings)... But.... it IS a heart attack on a plate

During the week we have porridge in the winter, fruit juice, toast and marmalade or marmite.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Senior Cook
Well i was a frosted flakes fanatic before Dw started being interested in Bfast , but I was getting tired of eating all that sugar. Right now we are doing bacon egg and chesse bisquits everyday which i am getting tired of, I am going to try to make hawaiian sweet bread sometime soon and then use that to make french toast. I also like waffles and pancakes and cream of wheat but Dw wife dosent like Cream of wheat and thinks that waffles are a special sunday breakfast. She dosnet want anything heavy for a week day breakfast.
I am intrested in doing the poached egg thing and may get adventurous and try and omelet...

On the other end of the day, I like lamb most, fish second and beef lastly and dont do chicken, DW likes chicken the most and then fish and then lamb and beef are tied for last place. Also DW hates leftovers and wont eat the same thing more than 2 times 3 at the absolute most.

So it gets a little interesting and it seems that we will be doing two meals at a time most of the time
vilasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
Head Chef
Wow, an hour to prepare breakfast is a LONG time! Since I like to sleep till the last minute, I make stuff that I can make a ton of, so I can nuke leftovers.

Below are two recipes that I have made several times, both of which are delicious.

The eggs can be made with browned breakfast sausage or bacon, as well as ham (these egg casserole recipes are all over the internet, and everyone loves, them).

I've made the oatmeal twice so far - once with raisins, once with dried blueberries. I've got dried strawberries for the next time.

Also, you can make oatmeal in the crockpot overnight, if you make a lot and your crock doesn't cook too high (my new crock burned the oatmeal BADLY).

Butter 13x9x2 baking pan. Layer ½ the bread slices, half the ham, 4 slices of the American and 4 slices of the Swiss cheese; repeat layering.

Mix eggs, onion salt, dry mustard and milk. Pour over the top. Let stand overnight, (preferable), or for a few hours.

Mix corn flakes in melted butter/margarine and spread on the top of the dish. Try not to skip this step, as it MAKES the dish!

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.

(Note: You can halve this recipe and bake it in a square brownie pan)

Baked Oatmeal
  • 3 cups oatmeal
  • 3/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together and pour into 13x9 buttered pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. I like to also add dried fruits and nuts and pour into small ramekins for baking and serving individually.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #9
Head Chef
Hmmm, vilasman, I didn't see your post re: leftovers before I posted. Well, you can make my breakfast recipes in smaller amounts then. :-)

Sounds like lamb and fish are the top 2 favorites for you and your wife. Lamb shanks in a crockpot are the BEST! Below is one of my favorite recipes for that, as well as the link to my favorite fish recipe (Tyler Florence's Pan-Roasted Halibut with Prosciutto and Capers, but you can use haddock, cod or any white fish - salmon does NOT work well with this).

Lamb and Red Lentil Soup
  • 1 large onion -- chopped
  • 1 clove garlic -- minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cups Swiss chard -- chopped
  • 2 cups red lentils
  • 2 lamb shank
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Saute onion and garlic in oil until limp in a skillet. Combine with remaining ingredients, except lemon juice, and 2 quarts water in a crock pot. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Add lemon juice, adjust seasonings and serve. Shanks may be served on the side or meat may be removed from bones, diced and returned to soup. Serves 4 to 6
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
Executive Chef
I'm not really a breakfast person, but if I have the time, I like pancakes and French Toast. Here's a site I enjoy with lots of ideas:

The slow cooker is helpful for an easy dinner. You can make a roast etc. with all the trimmings, and have sandwiches the next day. Or freeze the leftovers for another dish. Pasta dishes are quick and easy - or linguine and clams take almost no time. You can do a lot of dishes with frozen ravioli. I've made a lasagna with them, adding sausage or ground beef, spinach and sauce of choice. You could probably find breakfast recipes for the slow cooker, & put everything in before you go to sleep. I've made a roast in my sleep too.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote