Need help with dinner plan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Upf147

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I am new here, and I hope I am posting in the right thread for this. My question is about a dinner I am making for Wednesday night for me and my girlfriend, so far, my main course is this chicken manicotti: http://http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=37159
and i was also doing as a side some fresh green beans boiled or sauteed, im not sure, anyway, i have gotten this far, now i need one (or two? you decide for me) more things for the dinner, I am looking for some fairly easy sides (mashed potatos? idk) to go with the meal that go well with the manicotti and green beans that she will enjoy, can you help me? Thank you.
(I already plan to have a salad and bread)

edit/
i picked this up from another thread...she likes shrimp:
I always just saute them in butter, lemon juice, garlic, onion and white wine

yes? no?

-Cory

Last edited:
If it's manicotti you might want to make a baby greens salad with an Italian dressing, or your favorite dressing, sprinkled with some grated parmesan or mozzarella. The green beans are great too if you add a little Italian twist to them, if you'd like. Dessert is a must when you're cooking for your girlfriend. I would suggest you make a simple chocolate dessert, perhaps a chocolate tart (you can easily buy the pie crust or puff pastry and mix the chocolate filling ingredients together, bake) and VOILA! You will certainly impress her. Let me know if you want recipes to any of these. I'll be glad to help you.

ok thanks for the reply, and sure, if you could, i would like the recipe to the above if that isnt too much of a hassle, thanks again!

upf, welcome! We're glad you're here...

Your menu sounds great - I definitely wouldn't put mashed potatoes (or any kind of potato) with manicotti. Just my opinion. I think your green beans, a green salad, some bread (maybe garlic bread?) and a dessert sound perfect. Dina's idea of a chocolate tart sounds easy and good...but any kind of sweet you feel comfortable with will be OK. Just the idea that you are cooking for your girl will impress her! Good job!!

p.s. fresh green beans, wrapped in bundles with bacon, and roasted would be pretty.

ups, your menu, manicotti, grean beans, with a nice green salad, and if you don't wnat GARLIC in the way make some hot french bread buttered then topped with parmeasan cheese and put that under the broiler, Dessert can be simple say strawberries dipped in chocolate and a sparling wine or cider or even straberries dipped into whipped cream..Another yummy dessert is Prosecco wine, in a tall glass with a little vodka or not and then a small scoop of lemon ice or sorbet...enjoy your evening.

kadesma:)

ITALIAN GREEN BEANS

3 cups water

1 lb fresh, cut green beans or 1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen whole green beans or frozen cut green beans

1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

1 medium tomato, seeded, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1/3 cup Italian Dressing (see recipe below)

Bring water to boil in medium saucepan. Add beans; cover and cook 6 min. or until tender. Drain immediately. Stir in cheese, tomato and dressing. Serve warm.

ITALIAN BABY GREENS SALAD

This could be very simple and you can add other veggies, fruits of your liking. i.e. tomato slices, pickled banana peppers, garlic croutons, etc.

3/4 pound mixed baby greens (or your favorite combination)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
10-12 sliced black olives (optional)
1/4 c grated parmesan
1/4 c grated mozzarella cheese
You can find the pre-washed/pre-mixed baby greens in the produce section of your grocery store. This would be a lot easier.

ITALIAN DRESSING:
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c white wine vinegar
1 tsp dried Italian spices
1 1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp water
Whisk all together until combined, drizzle over baby greens, then sprinkle the cheeses over salad.

ENJOY!

I will post the chocolate tart in another reply.

SIMPLE CHOCOLATE TART

The better the chocolate you get, the tastier this will be.

1 tart shell, baked blind
11fl oz double cream or heavy cream
2 level tablespoons sugar
the smallest pinch of salt
4 oz butter, softened
1lb best- quality cooking chocolate, broken up
3¾ fl oz whole milk
cocoa powder for dusting
fresh raspberries or strawberries for garnish

Place the double cream, sugar and pinch of salt in a pan and bring to the boil. As soon as the mixture has boiled, remove from the heat and add the butter and chocolate. Stir until it has completely melted. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, stirring in the cold milk until smooth and shiny. Sometimes this mixture looks like it has split. Allow to cool down a bit more and whisk in a little extra cold milk until smooth. Scrape all the mixture into the cooked and cooled pastry shell with a spatula. Shake the tart to even it out and allow to cool for around 1-2 hours until it is at room temperature. Dust with the cocoa powder and serve with fresh berries. Ultimately the pastry should be short and crisp and the filling should be smooth and should cut like butter. ENJOY!

Last edited:
I make a marinated Italian Salad that is so good. Mix up a packet of Good
Seasons Zesty Italian Dressing mix, or make your own. Slice raw mushrooms, and black olives. Drain a can of artichoke hearts, and quarter them. Marinate in dressing at room temperature about an hour. Spoon over greens, top with chopped salami or pepperoni and grated parmasan or Romano cheese, and croutons, if you wish. Serve extra dressing on the side.

Connie,
that sounds great..I've been racking my brain trying to keep coming up with interesting salads on sunday and it's a pain in the neck...Summertime no problem, wintertime makes me want to hide:LOL: Thanks for the idea.

kadesma:)

well, update, the dinner went extremely well, she loved it, and i must say i impressed myself too, because i never cook, must be in the blood, mom was always a good cook, lol. I had the manicotti, the green beans, and i just steamed some JUMBO shrimp for her, then i had the salad and dinner rolls, with a french silk (sp?) pie for dessert. very good deal...thank you everyone and Dina.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom