"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need help with dinner plan!

Hello everyone, I am new here, and I hope I am posting in the right thread for this. My question is about a dinner I am making for Wednesday night for me and my girlfriend, so far, my main course is this chicken manicotti: http://http://www.bettycrocker.com/r...recipeId=37159
and i was also doing as a side some fresh green beans boiled or sauteed, im not sure, anyway, i have gotten this far, now i need one (or two? you decide for me) more things for the dinner, I am looking for some fairly easy sides (mashed potatos? idk) to go with the meal that go well with the manicotti and green beans that she will enjoy, can you help me? Thank you.
(I already plan to have a salad and bread)

edit/
i picked this up from another thread...she likes shrimp:
I always just saute them in butter, lemon juice, garlic, onion and white wine

yes? no?

-Cory

Old 02-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
If it's manicotti you might want to make a baby greens salad with an Italian dressing, or your favorite dressing, sprinkled with some grated parmesan or mozzarella. The green beans are great too if you add a little Italian twist to them, if you'd like. Dessert is a must when you're cooking for your girlfriend. I would suggest you make a simple chocolate dessert, perhaps a chocolate tart (you can easily buy the pie crust or puff pastry and mix the chocolate filling ingredients together, bake) and VOILA! You will certainly impress her. Let me know if you want recipes to any of these. I'll be glad to help you.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

ok thanks for the reply, and sure, if you could, i would like the recipe to the above if that isnt too much of a hassle, thanks again!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
SOunds like you have a very lucky girlfriend. Welcome to the group!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

lol, she is very special to me...
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Be sure to show and tell her that everyday!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

i do, i make sure of that, haha.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Good!! Very good!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

upf, welcome! We're glad you're here...

Your menu sounds great - I definitely wouldn't put mashed potatoes (or any kind of potato) with manicotti. Just my opinion. I think your green beans, a green salad, some bread (maybe garlic bread?) and a dessert sound perfect. Dina's idea of a chocolate tart sounds easy and good...but any kind of sweet you feel comfortable with will be OK. Just the idea that you are cooking for your girl will impress her! Good job!!

p.s. fresh green beans, wrapped in bundles with bacon, and roasted would be pretty.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

ups, your menu, manicotti, grean beans, with a nice green salad, and if you don't wnat GARLIC in the way make some hot french bread buttered then topped with parmeasan cheese and put that under the broiler, Dessert can be simple say strawberries dipped in chocolate and a sparling wine or cider or even straberries dipped into whipped cream..Another yummy dessert is Prosecco wine, in a tall glass with a little vodka or not and then a small scoop of lemon ice or sorbet...enjoy your evening.

kadesma