Need help with dinner tonight? Sun, 12/23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I'm having an impromptu dinner tonight for some family and friends, maybe 10 plus the little ones.

Don't know what I should make but do know that I should be making it soon or starting it anyway.

Please feel free to list your dinner plans tonight and maybe help me out too. Should it be beef/chicken/pork/fish/pasta? I don't want a huge mess or a huge deal as we get up before the roosters tomorrow and head out for our long drive. So, fairly easy but wonderfully good, is that a tall order or what?

Think I'll take Uncle Bob's advice and do pasta. For some reason, this family isn't crazy for shrimp. I took out some ground chuck and ground sirloin, I'll mix half and half and do a typical feel good meal using canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, cheese throughout, onions, celery, but only a tiny bit, then baked. Salad and warm hot garlic bread and yes, I do have lots of cookies to pass around after the nights' meal. Thanks for helpin...

Happy Sunday!

Last edited:
I like the idea of a simple pasta dish....no trouble, no mess, simple but so good. Maybe with a few Shrimp, butter, EVOO, garlic...well you know some thing along those lines...then

COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas & Have Fun!!!

Pasta sounds good to me too... another idea is a pot of stew or soup with bread and salad.

Have FUN!!!!

Sorry can't help you out - I had a hard time thinking what to feed the three of us with our leftovers - :ROFLMAO: Good Luck Lefse ! I know you can do it !!

Have a Fondue Party. Chop up fresh veggies (broc, carrots, cauliflower), tomatoes & whatever you have in the freezer (shrimp?) and fruit - sliced apples etc. & make a cheese fondue. Tear up some crusty bread to go with. Chocolate fondue for dessert with pound cake, fruit, pretzels, potato chips, etc. Be creative.:chef: Serve with clam chowder or soup of choice & a big salad. Or make antipasti kebobs - salami, cheese, cherry tomatoes - whatever you have around - serve on skewers.

Last edited:
Lefse, sounds good to me! Tonight we're trying to decide whether to have fried rice, soup and sandwiches, or breakfast for dinner. There are a couple of us leaning to the Dutch baby idea and a couple want fried rice, so I might end up doing two different dinners.

I used some more of the dough I have in the frig, from this recipe for a pizza
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/world-s-easiest-bread-recipe-40666.html

I am in love with using this dough for a pizza base. Don't know if it is just something different for a crust or what.:). Maybe what I like best is I have a large amount of dough to work with to make my crust. Even though the above recipe calls for 6 1/2 cups flour, I had to stop at 6 cups; 1 cup KA unbleached bread flour and 5 cups King Arthur Traditional whole wheat. The batch will make 2 pizzas and one small loaf for me. I am making it thick and it is chewy. So.......I'm having pizza for dinner.:pig:

I spent a good part of the day baking, and then even more time cleaning up since I let dd help me! So we were only up for reheating some leftovers tonight. It was good, though--meatloaf, brown rice, and steamed broccoli.

Dinner tonight clucked it's way out of a bucket:LOL: But, they got home made cookies and ice cream for dessert..I think I need to go to bed, have to be out to dialysis by 6 in the morning and then home to finish up the trays of food for the thundering herd:ROFLMAO:
See ya tomorrow.
kades;)

hey kades, I was thinking about you this morning.......take it easy please?? I'm sure the thundering herd can take care of themselves...just sit back and watch them......yea I know, easier said than done:LOL:

hey kades, I was thinking about you this morning.......take it easy please?? I'm sure the thundering herd can take care of themselves...just sit back and watch them......yea I know, easier said than done:LOL:
Beth,
I did take it easy today..Both my girls came over about 12 after I got home and they put together all the food we planned and set the tables and all the last minute things. it was so nice..I just sat and played with the little ones. I am so lucky, the dialysis for the most part is so easy on me..Other people have a hard time with it but, I don't I never feel bad, just tired once in a while depending on how much fluid they take off..Today was great and I had a wonderful evening with all my family and was able to be there to see my youngest son ask a very sweet and loving young woman to marry him..So our Christmas eve was the best ever.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom