Need ideas for potluck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, all. Some neighbors are having a Porch Party this Saturday where everyone brings a dish, and I am looking for ideas. There are always lots of pasta dishes and layered casserole-type dishes. I'd like to bring something more unique and substantial, maybe with chicken or shrimp. Looking forward to hearing your ideas :) Thanks.

Wow, they all sound so good :) It's going to be hard to decide.

As it happens, I have about a pound and a half of tomatillos from my garden sitting on the counter waiting to be turned into some kind of sauce or salsa - could be enchilada sauce, or could be for the chilaquiles. Hmmm.

I have lemon thyme in my garden, too. But I really need to do something with the tomatillos, so I think I'll go that way. And I have peppers and onions from the garden, too, which I put in my chicken enchiladas, so I think that idea wins :chef:

I guess I'll cut them in half as I put the rolled-up enchiladas in the pan, to allow for more portions, especially since there will be lots of other foods to pile on your plate ;)

Thanks, all. I'm saving the other ideas for future get-togethers.

How about a cold salad made with lots of fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, shrimp, pasta.

Wow, they all sound so good :) It's going to be hard to decide.

As it happens, I have about a pound and a half of tomatillos from my garden sitting on the counter waiting to be turned into some kind of sauce or salsa - could be enchilada sauce, or could be for the chilaquiles. Hmmm.

I have lemon thyme in my garden, too. But I really need to do something with the tomatillos, so I think I'll go that way. And I have peppers and onions from the garden, too, which I put in my chicken enchiladas, so I think that idea wins :chef:

I guess I'll cut them in half as I put the rolled-up enchiladas in the pan, to allow for more portions, especially since there will be lots of other foods to pile on your plate ;)

Thanks, all. I'm saving the other ideas for future get-togethers.
Chicken enchiladas with a green tomatillo sauce are fantastic. Most of us use a red sauce, but the green tomatillos make a bright, slightly tart refreshing topping. I first had them on a vacation in San Antonio and have loved this ever since. If your interested, let me know and I'll get the recipe out for you.
kadesma

Chicken enchiladas with a green tomatillo sauce are fantastic. Most of us use a red sauce, but the green tomatillos make a bright, slightly tart refreshing topping. I first had them on a vacation in San Antonio and have loved this ever since. If your interested, let me know and I'll get the recipe out for you.
kadesma
Kadesma, you're making me hungry! ;)

I'd like that recipe! Thanks.

kadesma

Sounds like a winner, especially the "refreshing" part, since it's supposed to be 97 degrees here on Saturday :rolleyes: I'd love to see your recipe. Thanks. :)

Sounds like a winner, especially the "refreshing" part, since it's supposed to be 97 degrees here on Saturday :rolleyes: I'd love to see your recipe. Thanks. :)
Got Garlic, posted the recipe under the sauces, marinades topic. I did forget to add that I top everytthink with chopped cilantro...
kadesma;)

Looks like the Enchilada's are it this time around but if you need to impress another time this is a great recipe to make and serve at room temperature and it sure does impress.

Shrimp Quiche (Recipe for 1 but you can multiply it easily)

Cooked Shrimps - 10 medium, cut them further into small bite size chunks
Broccoli - About a cup cut into small florets
Garlic - 4 cloves (finely chopped)
1 Medium Onion finely chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Fresh Parsley - 1/4 bunch finely chopped

Add oil to a saute pan and cook the garlic and onions until translucent, add the broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, salt and pepper and shut the heat.

Beat 6 large eggs
Add 1 cup of half and half to it
Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese to it
Add the parsley and mixture of shrimp, onions, garlic and broccoli
Stir it all the combine
Add a bit more salt and pepper

Use a frozen pie shell. I like to prebake mine for about 30 minutes and cool. Now pour the egg and shirmp mixture to it and bake for another 40 minutes until golden brown.

Cool, Cut and Serve.

It is an absolute hit and extremely elegant to serve. Seems like work but really is nothing much. The shrimps are pre-cooked and the pie crust is ready made. The Cheese can be bought pregrated so it impresses without a lot of effort.

This is a real party maker!

Centralia House Shrimp

Ingredients:
3 lbs large shrimp
1 lb. sliced mushrooms (opt)
3-12 oz bottles chili sauce
1 750 mil bottle white wine
3 sticks butter
1 cup parsley flakes
1 tbl oregano
1+ bay leaves
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp Tabasco
1 quart olive oil
2++ cloves garlic

Directions:
In large pan, combine butter, olive oil, chili sauce and bring to boil. Stir in mushrooms. Add seasonings and wine. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until thick. Put shrimp in dish and pour mixture over. Let stand 45 minutes. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let stand & cool for 10 minutes. Serve with crusty bread for dipping in sauce.

Just dipping your bread in the sauce is a heavenly experience!

I love just plain cheese enchiladas with sour cream and a tomatillo sauce and then fresh diced tomatoes on top. Heaven! And lots of people have never had a tomatillo sauce so it would definitely be unique!

Centralia House Shrimp

Ingredients:
3 lbs large shrimp
3 sticks butter
1 cup parsley flakes
1 tbl oregano
1+ bay leaves
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp Tabasco
1 quart olive oil
2++ cloves garlic

Directions:
In large pan, combine butter, olive oil, chili sauce and bring to boil. Stir in mushrooms. Add seasonings and wine. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until thick. Put shrimp in dish and pour mixture over. Let stand 45 minutes. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let stand & cool for 10 minutes. Serve with crusty bread for dipping in sauce.

Wow, Constance! That looks delicious and could not fail to impress the masses!

But, party schmarty - that's easy enough to make for a great dinner at home!

Lee

How about gazpacho? It can be served in the small, clear, plastic cups.

If you do do this keep the soup in a bowl and keep that bowl in a larger bowl full of ice.

I'm on my second batch this week! lol It's a great summer meal.

Centralia House Shrimp

Ingredients:
3 lbs large shrimp
3 sticks butter
1 cup parsley flakes
1 tbl oregano
1+ bay leaves
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp Tabasco
1 quart olive oil
2++ cloves garlic

Directions:

You and kadesma are going to have to pony up some cash for stretch pants! :-p

You and kadesma are going to have to pony up some cash for stretch pants! :-p
I'm going to have to just go buy a mumu and forget the stretch pants:LOL: You both just sealed my fate with Connies shrimp and you putting the idea of Gazpacho in my head..DH had to threaten to hide the car keys if i said one more time I was gonna go to the store TONIGHT!!!:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom