"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need Menu Suggestions!

Hello everyone!
I am new to this site, so if I am posting on the wrong forum, please direct me elsewhere!
I work as a cook in a private residence. My 'new family' is so easy going that they rarely request a particular dish. They let me choose the menu. I am so lucky! Once in a while, my brain freezes and I can't think up anything interesting. Or maybe I can, but I just can't decide what to choose. Which brings me to tonights meal. I am making fish...most likely a stuffed flounder. The stuffing won't have a bread base, but more likely a crab or vegetable base. My question is...what to serve as a side? I am starting with a seafood gazpacho (shrimp), and roasted asparagus. So, what's the side? I think I've been making too many pilafs lately. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Chrissy

Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyMc View Post
Hello everyone!
I am new to this site, so if I am posting on the wrong forum, please direct me elsewhere!
I work as a cook in a private residence. My 'new family' is so easy going that they rarely request a particular dish. They let me choose the menu. I am so lucky! Once in a while, my brain freezes and I can't think up anything interesting. Or maybe I can, but I just can't decide what to choose. Which brings me to tonights meal. I am making fish...most likely a stuffed flounder. The stuffing won't have a bread base, but more likely a crab or vegetable base. My question is...what to serve as a side? I am starting with a seafood gazpacho (shrimp), and roasted asparagus. So, what's the side? I think I've been making too many pilafs lately. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Chrissy
Hi Chrissy -

Since this relates to your job, I was thinking that instead if giving individual suggestions, that you might be better served by using some information from the following sites:

Daily Meal Planner For Creating Healthy Eating Plans
Find Healthy Menu Planning | Healthy Recipes & Healthy Dinner Recipes | Taste of Home
Menu Planning: Save Time In The Kitchen | Organized Home
Weekly Menu Planner - Houseworks Planner | Organized Home
Free weekly planner | Menu planner | Homeschooling planner | TheHomeSchoolMom.com
Thrifty Thursday: Use a Menu Planner to Save on Groceries
Welcome to uExpress featuring 7-Day Menu Planner -- The Best Advice and Opinions The Universe!
Free Printable Menu Planner - Get Organized and Save Money!

Good luck!

Bob

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Sounds like you need a starch. Polenta might be nice. Yorkshire pudding with butter as the fat? Potatoes Anna?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sometimes I love the simplicity of steamed baby red potatoes (the REALLY small ones). Toss with some butter, garlic, and fresh parsley/other herb or a bit of olive oil, garlic, and herb of your choice...rosemary would be good too.

Israeli couscous makes a nice side too. Cook in chicken or beef broth, whatever suits your meal, saute some onions, garlic, and toss together.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Master Chef

I second the new potatoes idea.

When I was a little girl, we used to go to a restaurant that had the best new potatoes...I guess they were steamed first, but then they were evidently browned in butter over high heat, as they were brown and crispy on a couple of sides.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
All of these seem to be great possibilites for you (potatoes, couscous etc). How about a warm tuxedo orzo dish?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Master Chef

what 'bout angelhair pesto?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Luvs,
Angelhair and Pesto is definately a fun meal.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
Luvs,
Angelhair and Pesto is definately a fun meal.

well, thanks! i appreciate that!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I liked the new potatoes suggestion, but I couldnt find any small ones at the store. I thought couscous was a great idea too, except i made that on Tuesday! I went with the angelhair pasta...it went over great. Thanks for the help!
Chrissy