"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Need side for sweet pork chops

This is the recipe I am using. It has cinnamon, nutmeg, syrup from canned peaches, brown sugar, vinegar, and cloves. The recipe says to put peach halves on the chops, but is there anything else I should/could put in the slow cooker to "beef" up the meal? What sides might go well with it? Would you eat it with rice? I was thinking it might be good to put some sliced onion underneath the chops. Should I add a little broth?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Head Chef

I don't think you would want your side dishes to compete with the tangy sweet/sour flavor of your meat dish...maybe some buttered noodles would go well on the side, and something green - asparagus? Fresh green beans? Maybe a nice green salad, for some texture balance?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Master Chef

I would serve that with baked sweet potatoes (prepare and serve like baked potatoes) and a spinach salad.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the onions are a nice idea; I wouldn't add broth - there's enough liquid with the syrup and the vinegar. I like the idea of the noodles - you can serve the chops on top of the noodles, spoon some sauce over, and eat the sauce with the noodles as well as the chops. A nice green veg and you're done. I might also serve biscuits, to make sure I get all the juices
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Cook

well, i think you might want to start with a starch (though a veggie side dish would make a good 3rd element)....and i love bleu cheese to offset anything sweet, so why not a bleu cheese mac n cheese or bleu cheese potatoe au gratin? hopefully you aren't looking for something healthy, cuz neither of those qualify
i also like the biscuit suggestion - bisuits go with everything....i think you want to avoid a sweet side, because it will just be too much
enjoy whatever you pick
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Great suggestions! I ended up using sticky rice this time and making the pork/sauce into a stir fry-type meal. (I needed to go grocery shopping so I couldn't make some of those other things). I really wanted to do the asparagus with it, and the potatoes but I didn't have any asparagus, or bleu cheese. I was going to make some gluten-free biscuits but I ran out of time because I had to go sign some papers to refinance my house.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Head Chef

Congrats on refinancing your house! Hope you enjoyed your meal - I love the bleu cheese ideas and will file that away...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
well, i think you might want to start with a starch (though a veggie side dish would make a good 3rd element)....and i love bleu cheese to offset anything sweet, so why not a bleu cheese mac n cheese or bleu cheese potatoe au gratin? hopefully you aren't looking for something healthy, cuz neither of those qualify
i also like the biscuit suggestion - bisuits go with everything....i think you want to avoid a sweet side, because it will just be too much
enjoy whatever you pick
blue cheese mac and cheese yum!!