Need side for sweet pork chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
This is the recipe I am using. It has cinnamon, nutmeg, syrup from canned peaches, brown sugar, vinegar, and cloves. The recipe says to put peach halves on the chops, but is there anything else I should/could put in the slow cooker to "beef" up the meal? What sides might go well with it? Would you eat it with rice? I was thinking it might be good to put some sliced onion underneath the chops. Should I add a little broth?

I don't think you would want your side dishes to compete with the tangy sweet/sour flavor of your meat dish...maybe some buttered noodles would go well on the side, and something green - asparagus? Fresh green beans? Maybe a nice green salad, for some texture balance?

I think the onions are a nice idea; I wouldn't add broth - there's enough liquid with the syrup and the vinegar. I like the idea of the noodles - you can serve the chops on top of the noodles, spoon some sauce over, and eat the sauce with the noodles as well as the chops. A nice green veg and you're done. I might also serve biscuits, to make sure I get all the juices ;)

well, i think you might want to start with a starch (though a veggie side dish would make a good 3rd element)....and i love bleu cheese to offset anything sweet, so why not a bleu cheese mac n cheese or bleu cheese potatoe au gratin? hopefully you aren't looking for something healthy, cuz neither of those qualify
i also like the biscuit suggestion - bisuits go with everything....i think you want to avoid a sweet side, because it will just be too much
enjoy whatever you pick

Great suggestions! I ended up using sticky rice this time and making the pork/sauce into a stir fry-type meal. (I needed to go grocery shopping so I couldn't make some of those other things). I really wanted to do the asparagus with it, and the potatoes but I didn't have any asparagus, or bleu cheese. I was going to make some gluten-free biscuits but I ran out of time because I had to go sign some papers to refinance my house.

well, i think you might want to start with a starch (though a veggie side dish would make a good 3rd element)....and i love bleu cheese to offset anything sweet, so why not a bleu cheese mac n cheese or bleu cheese potatoe au gratin? hopefully you aren't looking for something healthy, cuz neither of those qualify
i also like the biscuit suggestion - bisuits go with everything....i think you want to avoid a sweet side, because it will just be too much
enjoy whatever you pick

:idea: blue cheese mac and cheese yum!!

Back
Top Bottom