"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

She would love that, but I don't eat chicken salad. I can't stand mayo.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Buy or make some Jerk Seasoning, marinate the chicken in it for awhile, grill the chicken, and to the wrap thing, adding a little ranch dressing to help cut the fire.

That was one of the sandwiches at a club I used to work at. I loved them!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

I do have some jerk seasoning that I love that is sitting in my cabinet. We brought it back from Jamaica. I have not used it in a while. Great idea Allen, thanks!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

lke mish and allen's suggestions, i was thinking of korean bbq, where you use the lettuce as the wrap.

if you have an asian market nearby geebs, see if you can find bulgogi marinade, and maybe some bean paste.
marinate and grill or broil strips of chicken, wrap in lettuce with a shmear of the bean paste. serve with small bowls of tofu, kimchee, rice, etc...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef

If you haven't guessed, salads and fruit are some of my faves - so how about...

Grill the chicken (with seasonings/herbs of choice), thinly slice, add grape or cherry tomatoes, walnuts, chives or red onions, crumbled feta or blue cheese dressing. Serve over lettuce/mixed greens with garlic bread and sangria or wine.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #16
Master Chef

Bulgogi marinade: 1/2 c soy sauce. 1/4 c rice vinegar (if you do not have, use a mild vinegar such as malt. Wine will also do, as will sherry or vermouth). A bit of sugar. A tsp of dried pepper flakes. A tsp of sesame seeds, or a 1/4 tsp of toasted sesame oil. Since it is chicken breasts, you don't need to marinade for long (a couple of hours is plenty). This is a very forgiving marinade. For example, I've used honey and all sorts of jams and jellies instead of sugar, and almost any kind of pepper (for example, if I have a jalapeno in the fridge or cayenne in the garden, I'll use that).

Stir-frying the meat is always a good option too. As is southern-style barbecue. I know that it is probably a sacrilage, but I love barbecue on a bed of lettuce.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Here is what I did. DW put the chicken in Italian dressing to marinate. I went to the store and got some tortillas, tomatoes, shallots, avocado, and a mango. I took some avocado and spread that on the tortilla then put on strips of chicken. The rest of the ingredients were diced and were put on top. It was very tasty. Of course I gogot that she also bought romaine so that did not get used.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Bulgogi marinade: 1/2 c soy sauce. 1/4 c rice vinegar (if you do not have, use a mild vinegar such as malt. Wine will also do, as will sherry or vermouth). A bit of sugar. A tsp of dried pepper flakes. A tsp of sesame seeds, or a 1/4 tsp of toasted sesame oil. Since it is chicken breasts, you don't need to marinade for long (a couple of hours is plenty). This is a very forgiving marinade. For example, I've used honey and all sorts of jams and jellies instead of sugar, and almost any kind of pepper (for example, if I have a jalapeno in the fridge or cayenne in the garden, I'll use that).

Stir-frying the meat is always a good option too. As is southern-style barbecue. I know that it is probably a sacrilage, but I love barbecue on a bed of lettuce.
thanks very much for this claire!!! bulgogi in illinois? who-da thunk it?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #19
Master Chef

Believe me, Bucky, the oly place I know of in Illlinois to get bulgogi is ... at my house. I picked up a taste for Korean food in Hawaii. I'm sure there is Korean food in Chicago, but I'm nowhere near there! I'm more likely to use the marinade on beef ribs (kal bi) or flank steak because I don't have the hibachi you need to make good bulgogi. It is also very good on pork chops (you might make it a little sweeter). As far as I know there is only one Korean person in Galena, and she was adopted, so I think you're more likely to get Korean food at my house than at hers!! I also "do" kimchee and chop chae.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Hi GB, I give my 'Italian version' for chicken lemon and rosmarine ;-)

Here is it:

Roasted chicken lemon

1 whole chicken, 1 lemon (better if biological), salt, rosmarine, sage,a bit of pepper, olive oil

First of all, let's prepare the chicken! Clean it carefully, wash it also inside, but do not cut into pieces. Clean the lemon and using a forck, practise small holes,
then insert it into the chicken, whith rosmarine and sage and a bit of salt.
Use a big pirofila, drop 4 table spoon olive oil, and arrange the chicken, covering it with salt. Tha quantity of salt depends on dimensions of chicken, so first time you cook it, start with small quantities and if it doesn't result salty, next time use more.
Put into the oven at 180-200C and cook it as far as the skin becomes crispy and gold-brown.
Before serving, take off the lemon and rosmarine.If you like spicy, use a bit of pepper mixed with salt, inside the chicken and over the skin.