"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Sous Chef

avid Costco shopper here. i would also like to point out the quality of meat & fish that you get at Costco/BJ's etc. seems to be MUCH better than at the grocery store. much better variety as well.

and the warehouse places have sales as well!! just last weekend i got 6 lbs of filet mignion for $40 (2 - 3lb pkgs at $20/ea.), and a couple of fresh/live lobsters for $4/lb. you will NEVER get that at the grocery store!!

as others have warned though, on your inital shop there....be prepared for a bill upwards of $300-400. but after that your set for a VERY long time (i havent had to buy tooth brush/paste, mouthwash, razors, toiletpaper, etc) in almost 2 years!!

also...if your gonna buy lots of meat there and freeze it..u will ned a deep freezer....lucky for you though, the warehouses sell them dirt cheap as well!! :o)

Old 03-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
avid Costco shopper here. i would also like to point out the quality of meat & fish that you get at Costco/BJ's etc. seems to be MUCH better than at the grocery store. much better variety as well.

and the warehouse places have sales as well!! just last weekend i got 6 lbs of filet mignion for $40 (2 - 3lb pkgs at $20/ea.), and a couple of fresh/live lobsters for $4/lb. you will NEVER get that at the grocery store!!

as others have warned though, on your inital shop there....be prepared for a bill upwards of $300-400. but after that your set for a VERY long time (i havent had to buy tooth brush/paste, mouthwash, razors, toiletpaper, etc) in almost 2 years!!

also...if your gonna buy lots of meat there and freeze it..u will ned a deep freezer....lucky for you though, the warehouses sell them dirt cheap as well!! :o)
I am in luck!!! Get my bonus check this week!!!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I goto Hispanic stores for a lot of my meat. Very fresh and dirt cheap when on sale. Bonless chicken breasts for $1.29 lb. This week its chicken legs for $0.39 lb. I stay far away from Sams and the like. They dont take my debt card!!! Plus I find better selections elsewhere for better prices. Alas I live in Chicago so I have a much better choice of where to shop than most other folks.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #24
Head Chef

Like Andy M have been members of BJ's, Costco, and Sam's at one time or another. Now am not a member of Sam's due to location of the store.

But Sam's to us is fine.

There are only two of us, so you might not think it is worth it to join, but we find it very convenient and thrifty.

Sure you can save on meats, but also on so many other foods: cheeses, fruits and veggies (the size of the packages of these is usually too large for us), wines (Costco has some pretty good deals on nice, but not very expensive wines), all kinds of nice deli items, breads and bake goods, large jars of spices, the list goes on. And they sometimes have some pretty good seafood, including salmon.

We save bucks on all other kinds of stuff from TP and paper towels to cleaning materials, to batteries (can buy in bulk and they last a fairly long time, just price batteries in the grocery or hardware store).

Even browse their book department and pick up some once in awhile (if you want it, buy it, it may not be there tomorrow).

Computer programs, TVs, heck, we purchased our cars through Costco. You buy through a local dealer and we got a good price. Could we have done a bit better by going from place to place and bargaining incessantly? Maybe, but hate doing that stuff.

Can you do as well for most items by selectively buying at Walmart, Target, other stores, going by the sales, comparing and contrasting? Possibly.

But our time and gas is worth something, and we can go to one the warehouse stores every few months and stock up on many items.

Just our humble take on it.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

With the warehouse clubs you have to know the price you would pay in the regular grocery also. And you have to be willing to store mega sized boxes of products. But there is absolutely NO doubt you save money. Their cheeses, both ordinary and gourmet are tremendous savings. For example, St. Andre Triple cream sells for 16.95/lb in our grocery--2 6oz. containers for $6 at Costco. Wines are very good prices. Books are heavily discounted. Fish, fresh and frozen. Magazines are now sold at Costco. Printer ink. The list goes on. Milk is about half price. Salads, etc. AND the meat quality is excellent.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #26
Master Chef

I can't believe I have not checked sooner... at least look around to see if I could save!!! That is what I get for having my head up my.... ok, you get the picture. Better now than never.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm not sure about SAM's but Costco has a deal where
you buy one membership and are given an extra card ( you can put anyones name on it. My son and I do that and split the cost.

It works out great. We both end up saving lots of money.

My only problem with Costco is that they don't take VISA..
Old 03-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I'm not sure about SAM's but Costco has a deal where
you buy one membership and are given an extra card ( you can put anyones name on it. My son and I do that and split the cost.

It works out great. We both end up saving lots of money.

My only problem with Costco is that they don't take VISA..
Sam's also gives you a second card free. They don't take credit cards for the most part. Costco does take American Express.

All of them take debit cards.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

We're Costco people here. They also have good deals on hardcover books and sometimes on CDs.

Plus you can eat lunch there for free trying all the samples on the weekends.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
or get a hotdog (big!) and a pop for only 1.50 $!!