"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 PM   #41
Master Chef

Ok folks, I asked about Sam's and ended up at Costco.... based on the fact that most folks seem to prefer Costco. So off we went today!

I was a meat whacking fool today!
AndyM, took your advice and bought that ribeye loin... $88 for 15+ lbs. I cut it into 16 oz steaks (hubby and I both can share one steak). I got 16 very nice steaks, and over a 1 lb of ribeye stew meat from the scraps. I like this cutting your own meat thing. So I got 3 whole chickens for $10 and diced up 2 of them to make chicken parts (breast, thighs, wings, legs, etc). So I learned how to dismantle a chicken today. I also have plenty of left over parts to make chicken stock and shred remaining chicken to make chicken salad sandwiches. (The other cool thing is I finally get to use those knives that just sit there because you are not sure what to do with them... well they came in handy today!) 20 lbs of lean hamburger for 1.98 a lb. So I am well stocked on meat today! Found some killer chops too!

Hubby loves Mountain Dew, and of course we found it a bit cheaper there too, not by much tho. Also, Red Bulls, we don't drink coffee, but we each have a Red Bull in the morning. The cheapest we have ever found it is $39 for a case. At Costco, it was $31. We figure we can make up the difference of the yearly membership in the Red Bull alone.

I love champange, so I found my favorite brand there for much cheaper than what we normally find it for... we are sold, I am getting a membership. I believe we get some sort of a discount with Costco through where I work, so it should work out.

Thanks folks for all your help and info, I knew I could count on you guys!

Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

Sattie, congratulations on your newfound butchering skills.

We have been pleasantly surprised by Costco over and over. The meats are just one of the reasons. Their Kirkland Signature products are very good quality and many of the other products they carry are good as well.

They have a friendly return policy when it's needed.

We buy a lot of wines there too.

Enjoy your membership!

Old 03-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #43
Master Chef

We don't have a Costco around here, but we went to Sam's today, picked up a lot of staples, and found a few goodies. We bought a 2 lb. bag of nice sized frozen sea scallops for $18.95, a 2 lb. bag of fresh frozen jumbo shrimp for $21.84, and a got a real buy on one pound of nice big chunky fillets of Mahi Mahi for $6.88. Also got a really nice corned beef for $7.84, a lb. of bleu cheese for $6.88, and a big old bag of good jumbo garlic for $4.38.
HB's big jug of Captain Morgan's was $10 cheaper than here in town, and they had a good price on Bailey's, too...1 litre for 20 bucks.
I won't bore you with my whole list, but I'm happy with what we got.
Thing being, we dropped $340, and still need some stuff from Walmart. But then, we only do this every 2-3 months, and it's a good day out for me. Besides, HB just got a raise.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #44
Senior Cook

I'm a little late, Cowgirl buddy, but....

..do be careful in those "wholesale" houses. Food is one thing, but watch out for the dry goods. I have been shopping these stores for many years. I have found that many, many items are seconds and over runs. You do get what you pay for. However, if you have a buddy to share, you can increase your value at the produce isle by splitting your fruits and veggies.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #45
Executive Chef

never shopped at Sams Club ever. I can't help with the original question but have one of my own. I am seeking the little straws filled with Crytal Light (or like that type thing) powdered stuff that goes in to a bottle of water. Anyone know if I can get it there? There are several in a container for making your ordinary water taste good. but so far, can't find it anywhere in southern California. someone gave me one straw and it said "good value" telling me it was a Sams item
Old 03-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
..do be careful in those "wholesale" houses. Food is one thing, but watch out for the dry goods. I have been shopping these stores for many years. I have found that many, many items are seconds and over runs. You do get what you pay for. However, if you have a buddy to share, you can increase your value at the produce isle by splitting your fruits and veggies.
Hey Phil, (wondered where you been!), I suspected as much and remain very skeptical about certain things. So I appreciate the heads up. As you know I am very new to this and can use all the pointers I can get. Better late than never!!! Your forgiven!!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #47
Senior Cook

I'm deep in trade show exhibits, Sattie...

..and reading and posting is limited. I really have a lot to say about the so-called wholesale houses, but I am limited on time. I know if you have a large family, you can save quite a bit. They do carry a lot of "boxed" items, and I'm not big on prepared foods. About the cry-pack tenderloins and such. I've found that if you cut steaks at an inch to 1 1/4", you'll be a lot happier with the way they grill. And let 'em rest five minutes after you pull them from the grill. Later......
Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
..and reading and posting is limited. I really have a lot to say about the so-called wholesale houses, but I am limited on time. I know if you have a large family, you can save quite a bit. They do carry a lot of "boxed" items, and I'm not big on prepared foods. About the cry-pack tenderloins and such. I've found that if you cut steaks at an inch to 1 1/4", you'll be a lot happier with the way they grill. And let 'em rest five minutes after you pull them from the grill. Later......
Phil, when you have the time, fill me in on the exhibits and stuff... sounds exciting! Appreciate the feed back as always and have fun!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Here is what I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Phil, when you have the time, fill me in on the exhibits and stuff... sounds exciting! Appreciate the feed back as always and have fun!
I made three of these for an exhibit company last year. I do 3-D graphics and small exhibits. This pic happened to fit the bill, I thought.
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missionsign copy.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1166  
Old 03-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #50
Master Chef

Way too cool!!!! So do you get contracts to make signs like that? Just kinda wonder where I else I might spot your handy work.