Need to Know About Sam's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok folks, I asked about Sam's and ended up at Costco.... based on the fact that most folks seem to prefer Costco. So off we went today!

I was a meat whacking fool today!
AndyM, took your advice and bought that ribeye loin... $88 for 15+ lbs. I cut it into 16 oz steaks (hubby and I both can share one steak). I got 16 very nice steaks, and over a 1 lb of ribeye stew meat from the scraps. I like this cutting your own meat thing. So I got 3 whole chickens for $10 and diced up 2 of them to make chicken parts (breast, thighs, wings, legs, etc). So I learned how to dismantle a chicken today. I also have plenty of left over parts to make chicken stock and shred remaining chicken to make chicken salad sandwiches. (The other cool thing is I finally get to use those knives that just sit there because you are not sure what to do with them... well they came in handy today!) 20 lbs of lean hamburger for 1.98 a lb. So I am well stocked on meat today! Found some killer chops too!

Hubby loves Mountain Dew, and of course we found it a bit cheaper there too, not by much tho. Also, Red Bulls, we don't drink coffee, but we each have a Red Bull in the morning. The cheapest we have ever found it is $39 for a case. At Costco, it was $31. We figure we can make up the difference of the yearly membership in the Red Bull alone.

I love champange, so I found my favorite brand there for much cheaper than what we normally find it for... we are sold, I am getting a membership. I believe we get some sort of a discount with Costco through where I work, so it should work out.

Thanks folks for all your help and info, I knew I could count on you guys! :wub:

Last edited:
Sattie, congratulations on your newfound butchering skills.

We have been pleasantly surprised by Costco over and over. The meats are just one of the reasons. Their Kirkland Signature products are very good quality and many of the other products they carry are good as well.

They have a friendly return policy when it's needed.

We buy a lot of wines there too.

Enjoy your membership!

We don't have a Costco around here, but we went to Sam's today, picked up a lot of staples, and found a few goodies. We bought a 2 lb. bag of nice sized frozen sea scallops for $18.95, a 2 lb. bag of fresh frozen jumbo shrimp for $21.84, and a got a real buy on one pound of nice big chunky fillets of Mahi Mahi for $6.88. Also got a really nice corned beef for $7.84, a lb. of bleu cheese for $6.88, and a big old bag of good jumbo garlic for $4.38.
HB's big jug of Captain Morgan's was $10 cheaper than here in town, and they had a good price on Bailey's, too...1 litre for 20 bucks.
I won't bore you with my whole list, but I'm happy with what we got.
Thing being, we dropped $340, and still need some stuff from Walmart. But then, we only do this every 2-3 months, and it's a good day out for me. Besides, HB just got a raise. :)

I'm a little late, Cowgirl buddy, but....

..do be careful in those "wholesale" houses. Food is one thing, but watch out for the dry goods. I have been shopping these stores for many years. I have found that many, many items are seconds and over runs. You do get what you pay for. However, if you have a buddy to share, you can increase your value at the produce isle by splitting your fruits and veggies.

never shopped at Sams Club ever. I can't help with the original question but have one of my own. I am seeking the little straws filled with Crytal Light (or like that type thing) powdered stuff that goes in to a bottle of water. Anyone know if I can get it there? There are several in a container for making your ordinary water taste good. but so far, can't find it anywhere in southern California. someone gave me one straw and it said "good value" telling me it was a Sams item

Phil said:
..do be careful in those "wholesale" houses. Food is one thing, but watch out for the dry goods. I have been shopping these stores for many years. I have found that many, many items are seconds and over runs. You do get what you pay for. However, if you have a buddy to share, you can increase your value at the produce isle by splitting your fruits and veggies.

Hey Phil, (wondered where you been!), I suspected as much and remain very skeptical about certain things. So I appreciate the heads up. As you know I am very new to this and can use all the pointers I can get. Better late than never!!! Your forgiven!! :-p

I'm deep in trade show exhibits, Sattie...

..and reading and posting is limited. I really have a lot to say about the so-called wholesale houses, but I am limited on time. I know if you have a large family, you can save quite a bit. They do carry a lot of "boxed" items, and I'm not big on prepared foods. About the cry-pack tenderloins and such. I've found that if you cut steaks at an inch to 1 1/4", you'll be a lot happier with the way they grill. And let 'em rest five minutes after you pull them from the grill. Later......

Phil said:
..and reading and posting is limited. I really have a lot to say about the so-called wholesale houses, but I am limited on time. I know if you have a large family, you can save quite a bit. They do carry a lot of "boxed" items, and I'm not big on prepared foods. About the cry-pack tenderloins and such. I've found that if you cut steaks at an inch to 1 1/4", you'll be a lot happier with the way they grill. And let 'em rest five minutes after you pull them from the grill. Later......

Phil, when you have the time, fill me in on the exhibits and stuff... sounds exciting! Appreciate the feed back as always and have fun!

Here is what I do...

sattie said:
Phil, when you have the time, fill me in on the exhibits and stuff... sounds exciting! Appreciate the feed back as always and have fun!
I made three of these for an exhibit company last year. I do 3-D graphics and small exhibits. This pic happened to fit the bill, I thought.
Phil

Attachments

• missionsign copy.jpg
    missionsign copy.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 202
Way too cool!!!! So do you get contracts to make signs like that? Just kinda wonder where I else I might spot your handy work.

You've seen my work before....

sattie said:
Way too cool!!!! So do you get contracts to make signs like that? Just kinda wonder where I else I might spot your handy work.
I've done several national accounts for many stores. I do work for display companies and graphic artists who do the trade shows.

Phil said:
I've done several national accounts for many stores. I do work for display companies and graphic artists who do the trade shows.

I have to say that it sounds like a more interesting job than mine, maybe even more fulfilling.... glad your back, or so it seems!

Andy M. said:
We have or had memberships in all of the major warehouse club stores - BJ's, Costco and Sam's Club.

We like Costco the most. Sam's is also good. Whether or not you can get your membership fee back through savings depends on what you buy and how much you buy in a year.

I buy a lot of meats there. Whole sirloin strips, tenderloins and rib eyes for beef. Then I cut my own steaks and roasts.

The prices are better than the supermarket but when the market has a good sale they will sometimes beat the warehouse store.

Whole pork loins and tenderloins. I cut my own chops and roasts.

Of course, loads of paper products, laundry supplies, party goods, medications, baked goods, and electronics.

I have a set of stainless tri-ply pots and pans from Costco that are as good as my All-Clad.

Go for it.

You may want to buy a freezer for the basement or garage.

Ditto, what Andy said. I buy almost all my meats at Costco. It is a great benefit for me since I live in a small town the the meat prices are outrageous at the local grocery store. I also buy dogfood, shrimp, beverages, trash bags, reclosable storage bags (for all that meat), etc.

At Costco you can get two cards with your membership, so I split my membership with another member of my family to reduce the year cost of the membership.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom