"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Last night was good. Like I said I already had a beef heart thawed so I made a great heart stew with red wine and lots of thyme and veggies. I served it over noodles and Paul was very pleased.

Tonight... it'll be the roasted chicken and rosemary potatoes!
Pds, I've never made beef heart. Love liver and onions, though, (another idea) with mashed potatoes, and chicken livers - but can't bring myself to cook it. Thanks for reminding me of some of my faves, I haven't had in quite a while. Hope you found some new/old ideas, to revisit. Love the thread. Hope people keep adding their favorites.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol... yeah...it's hard to touch.
It's very bloody.
But it's worth it in the end.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
lol... yeah...it's hard to touch.
It's very bloody.
But it's worth it in the end.
I used to have elk and deer heart when I lived in the NW. It was great!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
yep! Hunting season is almost here!!! ( bear started a few weeks ago!!)
Old 08-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
This topic has been a hoot to read!

I have a similar problem but yet different. Mrs. BD is anti spice/seasoning. She grew up in a bland family, and pretty much anything and everything that I have made that included any seasoning or spice was met with disapproval.

So, conversely to pdswife looking for recipes to kick things up, I'm open to any and all bland recipes to add to the repetoire. We have about a 2 week rotation . . . . .*YAWN* . . . . . . .

Um, can't you wean her on to flavour....I mean, accept if she doesn't like things salted or with heat, but crank up fresh herb volume. One you wean her onto taste some of her taste buds will destruct and you can crack the rest up a notch. What DOES she like.....give us a basis of your two week rotation and perhaps that will help.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #56
Master Chef

I made a stew today with ground meat (beef/pork), zucchini, paprika and onions, served with rice... made a bit more, Frank wasn't home and I thought I may have something left, but now he came home, went into the kitchen and now there is not much left...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #57
Sous Chef

BigDog, I know how you must feel. My husband was raised with plain cooking, too, and my mom. Not all of the food they're used to is bad, but I love to add garlic or wine and I love fresh herbs and spices. I just use a lighter hand with them, vary things (some days plainer than others and not all meals have every dish highly seasoned) and gradually (25 years) my husband has come around! My mom's a little tougher, though, but she's getting there!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Make him Shrimp Alfredo. Make sure you grate your own cheese for this.

SHRIMP ALFREDO
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. corn oil
2 tsp. butter
1 clove garlic
Sm. chopped onion
1 lb. shelled deveined shrimp
1 tsp. dry parsley
2 sticks butter
1 pt. lite cream (or half & half)
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 lemon
12 oz. fresh pasta
1/2 lb. grated Parmesan cheese

Start boiling water for pasta. Use a large pot. Add salt and oil to water. While the water is heating, put butter in a large frying pan. Turn on low flame. Heat butter until it melts. Add the garlic and onion. When garlic and onion are tender, add the shrimp. Toss often. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on a very low flame, add butter. After butter is melted, add cream or half and half and stir. Put on simmer. When the shrimp starts turning pink, add white wine and squeeze the lemon over shrimp. Toss and cook for 1 minute. Don't overcook. Turn off flame and cover. Add pasta to boiling water. Add Parmesan to melted butter and cream. Stir often while pasta is cooking. (Fresh pasta shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to cook. Follow directions on package.) Add more Parmesan for a thicker sauce, less for thinner sauce. Drain pasta in colander. Put the pasta back in large pot, add shrimp and sauce. Toss thoroughly. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle parsley over top. Serve with a tossed salad and Italian bread. Serves 2 to 4.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Um, can't you wean her on to flavour....I mean, accept if she doesn't like things salted or with heat, but crank up fresh herb volume. One you wean her onto taste some of her taste buds will destruct and you can crack the rest up a notch. What DOES she like.....give us a basis of your two week rotation and perhaps that will help.
My wife comes from a family like that. Fortunately she now likes spices. She's still not as adventurous as me, and I'm not all that adventurous.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
This topic has been a hoot to read!

I have a similar problem but yet different. Mrs. BD is anti spice/seasoning. She grew up in a bland family, and pretty much anything and everything that I have made that included any seasoning or spice was met with disapproval.

So, conversely to pdswife looking for recipes to kick things up, I'm open to any and all bland recipes to add to the repetoire. We have about a 2 week rotation . . . . .*YAWN* . . . . . . .
I can't believe someone can prefer meals without any spices... it must be tasteless, mustn't it?

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote