New dish Im creating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsi88kid

Senior Cook
Me and TATTRAT were talking the other night and i was telling him about this dish that I want to make and he helped me come up with this dish.

Velvetized chicken with a ginger,soy sauce, garlic, orange glaze served over onion fried rice and garnish with curled scallions on top and a blood orange and pineapple sauce on the side to take the sharpness of of the ginger out.

what do you guys think?

rofl, jeekinz!!!!

kid, i'd order that in a second. nice combo of flavors.

whatcha gonna use to thicken the glaze? will it be much different in texture than the sauce?

jeekinz- velvetizing is a way of cooking chicken with cornstarch so that it comes out with the texture of orange chicken

buckytom- I will probably just use some orange juice or lemon juice and reduce it to thicken it a little bit.

Personally, I love that little zip that you get from ginger, and I wouldn't use the blood orange/pineapple to take away the sharpness so much as work with it. I think this way you'll have a slightly more complex flavorby by having elements of sweet and spicy as well as sweet and salty.

As for thickening the glaze I've had some good luck by adding honey to mine in the past, and honey plays very well with several of your ingredients.

college cook- all of those are very good points however I dont want to confuse the pallate by adding to many strong flavors all in the same part of the dish.

You don't need to add a lot of honey- some people add cornstarch or flour, and I think that can dilute the flavor of your dish. Honey is so thick and so high in sugar content that adding a very small amount (tsp. or TB, depending on how much you're making) to your glaze as it reduces will simply help it to thicken without the use of various starches. I doubt the honey would even be noticed alongside the pineapple flavors.

tsi88kid said:
Me and TATTRAT were talking the other night and i was telling him about this dish that I want to make and he helped me come up with this dish.

Velvetized chicken with a ginger,soy sauce, garlic, orange glaze served over onion fried rice and garnish with curled scallions on top and a blood orange and pineapple sauce on the side to take the sharpness of of the ginger out.

what do you guys think?

Will you share the recipe with us?:chef: I've got my pinny on ready to spring into action!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom