"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-29-2006, 06:02 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Roasted christmas tree with braised wreaths and cranberries.

Seriously, New Year's day used to mean a big family dinner, like christmas eve. Unfortunately, this day has lost it's lustre. My daughter has to go back to her dorm that day (she's taking winter session) and my son will more than likely sleep through most of the day if he doesn't have to work. I'm thinking of chicken cutlets and mashed potatoes to comfort all of us.

Happy New Year!

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by MJK
What is your typical New Years Day Dinner? Pork and Sauerkraut is standard. Why? Well my late fater always said you eat pork because a pig roots forward and suaerkraut because cabbage grows up. Never beef because a cow eats from the top down, or chicken because it scratches backward. Root crops grow down so potatoes are out too. Hence anything down or backward on the first day of the year is not good. Fish is okay becaue it swims upstream. Any other traditions out there?
That is very cute and I have never heard those. It sounds like it could be PA Dutch (and from your location).
In the South it is pork, blackeye peas, and greens--of some kind--usually collards. Greens are for money, and I can't come up with the other "meanings".

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Master Chef
Our traditional New Year's Day dinner is French Cassoulet, using leftovers from the Xmas roast goose as one of the ingredients.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
The staunch tradition of the New Years Eve dinner in Italy is lentils and cotechino or zamponi, which are both special kind of pork sausage. They are supposed to bring good luck for the upcoming year and just about everyone eats this menu, followed by spumante (Italian sparkling wine) with some ricciarelli or panforte (both almond based sweets originates from Toscana) as we bring in the anno nuovo at midnight.
((Licia))) I was thinking of you on Dec.23 when I made an impulse buy of Torrone to add to the Christmas candy dish.I haven't had it in years and sadly I never introduced my kids to it until now- I couldn't tell you why.When I was a little girl living in an Italian neighborhood in the Bronx-every bakery and deli had it. I haven't seen it available here even in the psuedo Italian bakery.I happened to wonder into a chocolate store of all places and there it was in a beautiful gold foil box calling to me!! Everyone enjoyed it except my father but, that's another story.
Happy New Year to you and yours with lots of love and energy, Vicki
VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Senior Cook
New Year's Eve is always assorted hot and cold hors d'oeuvres.

New Year's Day is a nice sit-down dinner with family, much like Christmas. This year we will have a roasted, sliced fillet with scalloped ranch potatoes and roasted cherry tomatoes with garlic. Dessert is still unknown.
Flourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #16
Senior Cook
We are having black eyed peas (for luck) and greens (for lots of money) and whatever else I think up. Here in the South, black eyed peas are such a tradition that it is hard to find them in grocery stores this time of year.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Gee! I guess we'll be scratching backward this new year since we're having Salvadorian turkey and tamales filled with chicken and some hot and cold hors d'oeuvres. I could tweak our menu a bit to include some pork and cabbage. Interesting description MJK.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #18
Head Chef
We really don't follow any tradition here but it does seem that I always have a pot of pintos with ground beef and chile cooking around then. Served with the choice of home-made tortillas or cornbread. In fact I have a huge pot simmering now and it might last us that long to finish off, lol. Dina, I still have some of my pork tamales in the freezer that I can use with this, want some?
Polly aka Shunka....the Def Leppard crazy in AZ!!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Black-eyed peas..with ham hock/smoked jowl/pieces of bacon = Coins
Greens...Mustard, Turnip, Collards...Mine will be Mustard with T Roots = Cash
Cornbread ( no sugar thank you) made with yellow meal = Gold

Put it all together = A prosperous New Year!!!
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 PM   #20
Head Chef
New Year's Eve is our wedding anniversary so dh is taking me to a lovely inn at Freeport ME. Dinner will be fine dining and a wonderful brunch in the a.m. Since we will be there on Saturday too I guess we will check out nearby Portland ME for dinner then. Happy New Year to all.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote