New Years Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Barb - I'm with you - FOOTBALL!! The OU Sooners will make mashed potatoes out of Boise State, so I will make some kind of potato dish. Probably will make chili for a Mexican casserole. I cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish with crushed tortilla chips, layer on the chili, cover with sour cream, then chopped onions and tomatoes. Top the entire thing with Sharp cheddar cheese and bake until it is hot and bubbly - usually 30 minutes.

New Years Eve - football - italian beef sandwiches, marshmallow fluff, cheesey potatoes. New Years Day - taking down Christmas decorations, a breakfast casserole and dinner will be a crock pot of potato soup topped with cheddar cheese and bacon.

In my family we always heard that you are to be cooking black-eyed peas as midnight comes, for luck (then eat them the next day). Usually we have ham on New Year's Day. Either ham and beans or scalloped potatoes with ham. We don't have any ham right now, but James really liked the beans and fried Spam we had for Christmas, along with cornbread (actually I did too), so he wants that. He has to leave Monday for his last week of evaluations, so I will fix them for Sunday night and we will have the leftovers before he leaves Monday.

:) Barbara
P.S. The pork and sauerkraut sounds awfully good too!

We always have Hoppin' John "my way" - lol

I make everything separate first:

rice
collard greens
black-eyed peas
country-style pork ribs (then cut in chunks)
caramelized onions and green peppers

Toss together and then twist into a Mexican-type dish with cilantro, cumin, fresh lime juice, pico de gallo, tad of sour cream. Pine it all in a bowl and eat - sometimes I will melt cheese then add the pico de gallo and sour cream after it's melted.

Well it seems I've been elected to cook, first time in years too. So I'm making a bed of chunked sliced onions,rutabegas,turnips,fingerling potatoes, peel cloves of garlic and I'm going to lift the skin on two fat chickens and rub underneath with butter,parsley and thyme, then set them on the veggies and roast them, some bread stuffing,we will also have some asparagus, home made rolls, salad, and as a starter a crab cocktail, desserts cream puffs and chocolate mousse.
kadesma:)

Pa Dutch Tradition

We went to Grandma's and she made "Hog Maw" or stuffed Pig Stomach:LOL:
Dumplings in Sauerkraut
Cup Cheese for Uncle Bobby
Spiced Peaches, Ginger Pears, Chow Chow, Corn Relish, Pickled beets, her home canned dill pickles, bread and butter pickles(the best ever!), 14 day pickles, and spiced red cabbage. (Part of the 7 sweets and 7 sours)

Cope's Dried Corn (Grandma made the dried corn version of the recipe)
Succotash in hot Cream and browned butter
Green Beans
Sweet potatoes, fried
Homemade Potato rolls

Late afternoon we had:
Chocolate Cake with 7 minute frosting
Chocolate Pie
Whole lemon pie
Apple Pie
Homemade mince meat pie with homemade vanilla ice cream

Latest posts

Back