New Years Day Dinner Tuesday 1st January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm using a couple of recipes to try to make a simpler version of duck a l'orange. I just butchered my first duckling - it's about 5.5 pounds. I trimmed the excess fat from it and it's now rendering in a saucepan to be used for roasted potatoes to go with the roast duck breasts. I'll save the leg quarters for another day. I also have the carcass browning in another pan to use in making duck stock for the sauce. Not sure what the veg will be.

We'll have our traditional pizza. The dough is out on the counter right now warming. I also have some homemade dips and chips along with the Christmas cookies and crackerjack. We'll just kind of snack most of the day while we watch the Rose Parade on HGTV and then some movies.

That all sounds lovely Jab :)

Happy New Year Everyone !!
Laid back buffet and college football. Ham, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes, home made lefse, veggies, dipps, devilled eggs, smoked salmon stuffed baby tomatoes, herring, eventually cookies and blue berry pie.

That sounds really nice Whisk :)

Kylie where are his parents from? I am not familiar with the pancake casserole thing it could be regional though .

We had a full English breakfast today after a long New Year's Day walk to start the day. Then later on just hot roast chicken butties .

Hi GQ, great to see you!

Steve is from Sheffield in Yorkshire :)

Your full english breakfast sounds delicious :yum:

Our Black-Eyed Peas and Greens were fantastic. Enough leftover to make two meals for work this week.

I'm thinking of a seafood soup as I have a salmon head and bones for the stock and some pieces of various fish and shrimp in the freezer. Not sure if I will leave it clear or make it a coconut milk base - we are really beginning to like that!

The seafood soup turned out well. I used a can of coconut milk and seasoned it with ginger, garlic, curry and cumin plus S&P of course! I wish I could have added potato to make it a nice thick chowder, but I can't have them for another 5 months!

Our family tradition mandates that we have oysters on New Years Day, so I'm making a pot of oyster stew, to be accompanied by crusty bread and white wine.

The stew couldn't have turned out better. This is such a simple dish to make; I don't know why we don't have it more often. My wife had seconds and I had thirds. :pig:

img_1224327_0_bbc1cccc87c43f80a498da4297b18084.jpg

Looks, YUM, Steve. Unfortunately I can't eat oysters (or most shellfish) but the picture makes me wish I could! TB would love that!

i'm back at work early tonight after sleeping all day, so i'm still not sure what's for dinner.

i have a strange craving for a reuben :pig:, or maybe chinese food, or possibly pizza and a salad.

Our family tradition mandates that we have oysters on New Years Day, so I'm making a pot of oyster stew, to be accompanied by crusty bread and white wine.
Wish I felt better, I'd be knocking on your door with pot in hand.:yum:
kades

I'm thinking of a seafood soup as I have a salmon head and bones for the stock and some pieces of various fish and shrimp in the freezer. Not sure if I will leave it clear or make it a coconut milk base - we are really beginning to like that!
Have you tried creamed coconut? It comes in a block and you grate it. It can be added straight into a liquidy dish or reconstituted to coconut milk or cream. It's particularly handy if you don't want to increase the liquid or if you don't need a whole can of coconut milk.

We had the Steak au Poivre that we were going to have last night, steamed mixed veg with garlic butter, and brown basmati rice (it was already cooked and in the freezer). Stirling cooked it. It was really good and my steak was cooked to perfection.

I'm looking forward to your recipe Steve. I love oyster stew and haven't had it in ages.

Since I had whole milk and cream from Christmas that needed to be used, I made up another batch of Scalloped Potatoes for just us and froze some for later. Some Brats from the freezer, and Cole Slaw finished the meal.

We started with a green salad with a French-style vinaigrette. Main dish: Large shrimp in a garlic/white wine/butter sauce - brown rice on the side. Dessert: Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake.

Back
Top Bottom