"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
New Year's Day Food Traditions

jkath's New Year's Eve food thread got me thinking about this. Do any of you serve a traditional meal on New Year's Day & do you know the history behind the tradition?
I will serve what I always do (another PA Dutch thing): Pork & Saurkraut with mashed potatoes. But I don't really know why this is the tradition - it just is.
I was thinking that I might prepare a few different regional traditional foods & ask the shelter if I can cook & serve again on New Year's Day if they don't already have someone lined up.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Not really. We just make what ever sounds good at the time.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

We always have blackeyed peas, rice, coleslaw, and cornbread for our New Years' day but this year are invited to an all day shindig which doesn't include those foods. I suppose we will postpone our usual meal til a day or so later since we go to the farm for a week. We are having a barn raising while there and it would be good to have that. I think the tradition behind our meal is superstition from ages past. The peas (lots of things to eat are for health, coleslaw (green stuff, many people eat greens of some sort or other) for wealth. We've been quite healthy and while not wealthy, we aren't usually broke, so I suppose the green stuff works to some effect.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My family always made Black-eyed Peas, fried potatoes, and cornbread. I know the Black-eyed Peas (or a dish called Hoppin' John) are traditional, as many folks believe they bring good luck when you eat them on New Year's.

PeppA and her family always do a seafood boil they call "Beer Shrimp", in which they cook shrimp, crab, and sometimes a lobster tail or two in a beer/vinegar broth.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Does the seafood have a "significance" or just good food?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
In Italy the traditional New Years Eve dinner is a cotecchino (a kind of big pork sausage, the authentic one is stuffed in a pig's toe, but we opt for just regular sausage shape...) cooked with lentils. They are supposed to bring good luck, so it is kind of a mystery why there are so many disgruntled grouchy people around... Well they are nice, and then we move onto champagne with either ricciarelli or panforte, both are almond based sweet treat from Siena, Italy.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:55 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Growing up, if were at home, we always had a bounty of wonderful homemade appies. It was one of only two days a year that sausage rolls would make an apperance in our house (the other being Christmas Eve, and I tell you, when I first moved out on my own, it felt so cool to be able to buy them at other times of the year, a little weird, but certianly cool). Other favourites like devilled eggs, a cheese board, cold cuts, pickles, spinach dip, things made with filo and the like were common, depending on the budget at the time.

However, if we were going to my grandparents (and this was more when I was quite young) we had a very traditional Russian/Ukrainian sort of meal. With borscht, blinis, perogies, creamy dill sauces, tarts (I remember one with peas, it was fabulous - I should see if I can talk the recipe out of my gran!), smoked fish and meats - it was awesome!

In the days since childhood though I've mostly stuck to a middle ground between an assortment of appetizers or like Pdswife, whatever we are in the mood for that day

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I suppose our traditions were much like many others. One thing I remember as a child was candy in our stocking - always kinds that we didn't get often. After Christmas was over, usually around New Years or maybe even after, we would be sitting around the fireplace and mom would bring out a basket with candies in it. Dad would crack all different kinds of nuts and pass them out to us and mom would give us the candy to go with the nuts. I don't know why we never got to expect this, but it was always a surprise. I don't remember ever connecting it to the same kind that was in our stockings until much later in life - really after I left home. My mom is 88 years old and when I mention how much something like that meant to me, she tears us and just smiles. I wonder if it meant as much to my siblings as it did to me. I must ask them.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Executive Chef

The Scots use New Year's Eve as their biggest celebration of the year, not New Year's Day. Hogmanay has many traditions, like being First-Footed by a tall, dark handsome man - with a lump of coal in one pocket (and, in the case of most Scotsmen I know, a bottle of whisky in the other!). He should be the 'first foot' over your doorstep after 'the bells' at midnight on Hogmanay. Red haired people are not considered lucky - so you will see gangs of us, corralled into a room to save the disaster of us being the first 'visitor' for the year.

We spend the time between Christmas and new year ensuring the house is spotless - you should start the year with everything cleaned to within an inch of its life! Also cooking. I made the black bun back at the beginning of December, ditto sausage rolls and bridies. The steak pies are made on hogmanay, ditto the shortbread. I will also cook a ham and a joint of finest aberdeen angus beef.

It is also a time of reconciliation. Most quarrels are 'mended' in time for Hogmanay. Another way of starting off the new year with a clean slate.

Visitors start calling into homes by about 6 pm - and it goes on for two or three days!

Edinburgh hosts what they claim is the biggest street party in the world on Hogmanay. Here's the website http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/events/programme.html
Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
Master Chef

Backeyed peas with ham hocks, collard greens and cornbread.