"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I hadn't heard the term "hopping john" until I was grown up. We always just called it blackeyed peas and rice. I only remember having it once a year - on New Year's day. They were cooked separately - the rice so that the grains don't stick together and the peas with a bit of the soupy mixture. We served the peas over the rice and topped with either green onions or chopped sweet onions and always with buttermilk cornbread. My mom used hog jowls to season the peas, but I use cubes of ham. Also we serve cole slaw instead of greens, but many people serve collard greens or some other type. I certainly don't believe it brings luck - one way or the other, but my paternal grandmother would have fought me on that. She has some other beliefs about New Year's Day. She wouldn't do laundry and there was something about the first man to enter your door, but I don't remember what that was...probably just as well.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

The hoppin' john I made was pretty good - according to me. I don't know what an expert would say about it.

I cooked the peas and trinity with a ham bone and chicken stock. When the peas were almost done, I added the rice and cooked it until the rice was done. It turned out like a thick risotto. The peas and rice were surrounded by a creamy sauce created by the starches and stock.

I won't make it again before next year. I make other bean dishes I like better.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
Master Chef

I do know that for Asian new years one thing to eat is long noodles (I believe symbolizing long life). I don't know when it is this year. This is the first year in ages that I didn't eat black eyed peas. My southern friends are falling down on the job! Tourtiere was a new years eve dish in some homes (we had it Christmas eve).
Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Pomegranate. It brings prosperity for the new year.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
Cook

Well, I've heard that eating pork brings good luck for the New Year.

My DH actually ate it this year and we're both still behind on our deadlines, but we'll see.

Happy New Year!