New Year's Eve 2015. What's on your menu tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I have some ribs in the oven, low and slow for dinner tonight. We'll have enough for lunch leftovers tomorrow.
I'll be making Whiska's artichoke appetizers in the toaster oven, along with some icy cold Ceviche for seeing the New Year in with cocktails. Hmm, now to decide on the cocktails.

Have a wonderful and safe evening, no matter the plans. :flowers:

Last edited:
We were going to have our usual oyster stew tonight, but opted instead to have it for lunch tomorrow. Tonight we decided to end the year with a simple (but tasty) dinner. Provençal Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce and a side of red cabbage braised in white wine and apples. This has been a landmark year... my wife requested the cabbage. In the entire time we've been married she wouldn't touch cabbage with a 25 - maybe even 30 - foot pole. Now she absolutely LOVES the stuff. Whenever I give her a choice of vegetables, she invariably asks "Could we have that cabbage again?" Fine by me. I spent 20+ years convincing her to try it. It's one of my favorites, too, not to mention one of the cheapest things you can buy.

We have several wines lined up to toast the new year. With dinner, we're having Chardonnay from one of my favorite Santa Barbara county wineries. Later, I have a nice Bordeaux we'll enjoy with a movie and hors d'oeuvres. And, of course, Champagne as the midnight hour approaches.

img_1449145_0_fd1cbc03686f63a9666140c76a4a6935.jpg

Steve, I'd love the recipe for both the chicken and cabbage! Stunning picture.

RF, I looked up both ponche and mochi, both sound delicious. I've been sending good wishes to your rib roast in the oven all day. You must share the outcome. By the way, what's your address I'll just drive down there crash your party.;)

We're probably going to stomp around town. Many restaurants are having NYE dinner specials.

Steve, I'd love the recipe for both the chicken and cabbage!
Of course, and thank you for asking!

I'll post it tomorrow. To be perfectly honest, I don't really have a "recipe" for either, as they're both kind of auto pilot dishes I've making for years and years. But my daughter recently asked if I would start writing down some of my recipes, so I definitely need to start getting into the habit of doing that.

Tonight we're having our usual appetizer spread. It will consist of shrimp cocktail, oven roasted chicken wings, marinated herring, deviled eggs, cheeses, crackers and a bottle of bubbly.

Steve Kroll, your evening sounds very nice. I too would like to know the recipe. If your wife has turned into a lover of cabbage, maybe your recipe will have that effect on my kids so, if it wouldn't be too much trouble ...

As for my little tribe, my 3 youngest have spent the day grazing on the usual meat, cheese and cracker tray and contorting themselves into knots with many games of twister. I've been doing research all day so, I'm no fun :P. My husband has taken charge of the food festivities though and has been busy, for several hours, with ribs and fried chicken. I have no idea what he's planning, lol. We will most likely see the new year in with a TV countdown after watching a movie or two. The kids are watching 'Epic' now. Very low key around here.

Happy New Year all :)

Last edited:
Been pretty low key around here mostly due to health issues so our last holiday will be nice and gentle.

We had smoked Alaska salmon, baked potato, steamed pencil-thin asparagus (saw it at the market on Tuesday and couldn't resist), iced tea and a tiny piece of chocolate cake for dessert.

Yummy. Yummy. And the best part is there is still enough salmon for another meal. We showed great restraint.

OMGoodness....fabulous sounding NYE meals! I'm sure there will be more to drool over...:chef::yum:

Low key here tonight, and I'm good with that. :) Just had a small bowl of chili that has been simmering on the stove all afternoon, and fixin' to make some jalapeno cheddar corn muffins to have with the chili for NYD dinner manana with my bachelor brother. Steamed freshly made tamales will accompany tomorrow's dinner...I'm trying to keep my hands off of them till then. :ermm::LOL:

Happy New Year's Eve everyone....be safe, and I hope you all enjoy your evening!

Last edited:
Steve Kroll, your evening sounds very nice. I too would like to know the recipe. If your wife has turned into a lover of cabbage, maybe your recipe will have that effect on my kids so, if it wouldn't be too much trouble ...

As for my little tribe, my 3 youngest have spent the day grazing on the usual meat, cheese and cracker tray and contorting themselves into knots with many games of twister. I've been doing research all day so, I'm no fun :P. My husband has taken charge of the food festivities though and has been busy, for several hours, with ribs and fried chicken. I have no idea what he's planning, lol. We will most likely see the new year in with a TV countdown after watching a movie or two. The kids are watching 'Epic' now. Very low key around here.

Happy New Year all :)

MichelleMarie, I'm so glad to see you jump right into the nightly dinner thread here. This is the perfect place to get your feet wet in this community. Welcome again, and a Happy New Year to you and your lovely family.:flowers:

We had small baked potatoes loaded with broccoli, Colby cheese, and sour cream. Saved our appetites for the cheese, fruit, and sausage plate. Glasses of wine, too. Happy New Year everyone!

We watched the Orange Bowl today (Clemson vs Oklahoma instead of a movie. I always thought the Orange Bowl was on NYDay. Too many bowls I guess. The game was see-saw back and forth close the first half.

Dinner was tasty. Pesto marinated skewered chicken pieces and marinated roasted baby tomatoes baked alongside until they blistered. Re- painted the chicken skewers because they seemed a bit dry, Greens salad with diced veggies. Actually pretty healthy (unplanned). Then we dug into bowls of custard rice pudding We made cranberry / sparky water cocktails served in champagne flutes for toasting in the New Year (wheeee),

Happy New Year y'all.

We're about done at 10:00 California time, but Whiska that recipe you left for the artichoke bites were just epic! I used TJ's marinated artichoke hearts. Holy cow!!

Good night, and see you all next year.

We're about done at 10:00 California time, but Whiska that recipe you left for the artichoke bites were just epic! I used TJ's marinated artichoke hearts. Holy cow!!

Good night, and see you all next year.

I see grass does not grow under your feet. :yum: I am glad you enjoyed these. godt nytt år < happy new year!

Back
Top Bottom