"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Master Chef

New Year's Eve 2015. What's on your menu tonight?

I have some ribs in the oven, low and slow for dinner tonight. We'll have enough for lunch leftovers tomorrow.
I'll be making Whiska's artichoke appetizers in the toaster oven, along with some icy cold Ceviche for seeing the New Year in with cocktails. Hmm, now to decide on the cocktails.

Have a wonderful and safe evening, no matter the plans.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Master Chef

Ceviche, rib roasts, ponche, mochi, plus a few other items from all over.....

Old 12-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Wine Guy

We were going to have our usual oyster stew tonight, but opted instead to have it for lunch tomorrow. Tonight we decided to end the year with a simple (but tasty) dinner. Provenšal Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce and a side of red cabbage braised in white wine and apples. This has been a landmark year... my wife requested the cabbage. In the entire time we've been married she wouldn't touch cabbage with a 25 - maybe even 30 - foot pole. Now she absolutely LOVES the stuff. Whenever I give her a choice of vegetables, she invariably asks "Could we have that cabbage again?" Fine by me. I spent 20+ years convincing her to try it. It's one of my favorites, too, not to mention one of the cheapest things you can buy.

We have several wines lined up to toast the new year. With dinner, we're having Chardonnay from one of my favorite Santa Barbara county wineries. Later, I have a nice Bordeaux we'll enjoy with a movie and hors d'oeuvres. And, of course, Champagne as the midnight hour approaches.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

Steve, I'd love the recipe for both the chicken and cabbage! Stunning picture.

RF, I looked up both ponche and mochi, both sound delicious. I've been sending good wishes to your rib roast in the oven all day. You must share the outcome. By the way, what's your address I'll just drive down there crash your party.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We're probably going to stomp around town. Many restaurants are having NYE dinner specials.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Steve, I'd love the recipe for both the chicken and cabbage!
Of course, and thank you for asking!

I'll post it tomorrow. To be perfectly honest, I don't really have a "recipe" for either, as they're both kind of auto pilot dishes I've making for years and years. But my daughter recently asked if I would start writing down some of my recipes, so I definitely need to start getting into the habit of doing that.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We're probably going to stomp around town. Many restaurants are having NYE dinner specials.
Dawg, how's the river doing where you are? Hope your stomping around town tonight won't require waders.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Tonight we're having our usual appetizer spread. It will consist of shrimp cocktail, oven roasted chicken wings, marinated herring, deviled eggs, cheeses, crackers and a bottle of bubbly.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Dawg, how's the river doing where you are? Hope your stomping around town tonight won't require waders.

Think we're OK. I feel bad for poor Missouri though.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Steve Kroll, your evening sounds very nice. I too would like to know the recipe. If your wife has turned into a lover of cabbage, maybe your recipe will have that effect on my kids so, if it wouldn't be too much trouble ...

As for my little tribe, my 3 youngest have spent the day grazing on the usual meat, cheese and cracker tray and contorting themselves into knots with many games of twister. I've been doing research all day so, I'm no fun :P. My husband has taken charge of the food festivities though and has been busy, for several hours, with ribs and fried chicken. I have no idea what he's planning, lol. We will most likely see the new year in with a TV countdown after watching a movie or two. The kids are watching 'Epic' now. Very low key around here.

Happy New Year all :)

Tags
menu, new year