New Year's Eve Dinner 12/31/2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm having cataract surgery this afternoon, and Steve has a really bad cold so it should be lots of fun tonight. :(

The SousChef has been planning to make Steve Krolls recipe for Oyster Stew for dinner, so I'm sure he'll make a report later.

Happy New Year everyone!:flowers:
I did it! made the roux without burning it, cooked the oysters without over cooking. Kayelle was there with help and advice.

I did it! made the roux without burning it, cooked the oysters without over cooking. Kayelle was there with help and advice.

Souschef, you rock! Especially with a cold, and with your sweet wife having just had eye surgery. I'm truly impressed!

Steve! Brilliant!

Kayelle, how was the surgery and enjoy your oyster stew.

Dawg, you have to make stuff to be able to spelunk...

Everyone else, sounds great and simple, wonderful and fantastic. Happy New Year!!

We are having Blackberry Manischewitz (didn't have any MD 20/20) and pick out whatever from the fridge. I have a selection of olives, cheese and pepperoni. Shrek has an onion and garlic sandwich. "A Hard Day's Night" is on TV.

For dessert I am having a Bulletproof Coffee and Pumpkin Sherbet.

Happy New Year everyone!

Kayelle, I hope your surgery was a success (and I hope the oyster stew worked out. We're having it tomorrow).

And yes, my dinner was just awful. :LOL:

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

First the good news....the oyster stew was wonderful.

My sight after cataract surgery yesterday is much worse than it was before. I'm really scared something went wrong. I'll see the Dr. tomorrow and I'm trying to think positive. Thank God I have one good eye.

Same thing happened to me after cataract surgery, Kayelle. I'd had one eye done, and my vision was worse too. I was scared to death and drove to the vision center. Turned out there was a bit of bleeding and raggedyness, but it all cleared up in a few days. Keep using the drops, and good luck with your checkup tomorrow.

In the end, all turned out well, and I'm glad I did it.

Last edited:
feel better Kayelle and stay optimistic

001.JPG

Went to a New Year's Eve party and took a big tray
of Deviled Eggs with Wasabi, Straight up and Dill Relish
flavorings

DH said, "why are you making food to take to an Open House party?"

That's just what I do
We were one of first guests to arrive, and as others came,
I saw each of the ladies as well brought a little something,
(I guess it's a generational thing)
:closedeye
so there!

Thanks so much Dawg....it makes me more hopeful.

It is surgery Kayelle, there will be some swelling and irritation. It's only natural. I have great faith in your eye surgeon.

Personally, I am anxious for my cataracts to ripen so I can have the surgery. I'll be ditching the glasses.

Every year since about 1987, we've joined together with some friends on the Canadian side of the river and made the following, egg rolls with pineapple sweet and sour sauce, Scallops saute'd in garlic and butter, tempura chicken, and shrimp scampi, with a side of home made chicken liver pate'. One year we would make this at their house, the next year, at our house. This year, as our friends are about ten years our elders, they weren't up to making the big meal, especially since we are both empty nesters. They had planned on going out to dinner. Two things prevented us from joining them, first, I am on call this week, and 2nd, I've got the flu that's been running rampant in our town. We had Dominoes pizza for our New Years dinner, with a diet coke for me, and a Sprite for DW. I slept from about midnight last night, until 5 pm. today. I feel somewhat better, but not out of the woods yet.

To say it more succinctly, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. And I
have to go to work tomorrow :(. I just hope I'm feeling stronger tomorrow. Supper tonight was lef-over pizza from last night.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Kayelle, hope your surgery results end up all you hoped for.

Chief, I hope you're done with the flu by the time I type this.

We rolled into our garage around 3:00 AM New Year's Eve, fresh from a week-plus back home with our kids. A week in OH was my best Christmas gift. ;) Like Andy, we had a veritable banquet of munchies. Ring bologna, smokies, three types of cheeses from OH, olives and pickles. Crab-stuffed mushrooms and shrimp Shu-Mai. Balanced all of that with a crudites platter and hummus. Red and white wines. Brownie bites for dessert. Forgot about the shrimp until I was putting away the leftovers, so we went ahead and ate them late. Threw together some homemade cocktail sauce that was really good. Now if I could just think of how I made it...

Attachments

• 2014-12-31 23.11.24.jpg
    2014-12-31 23.11.24.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 204
DH smoked our first chicken with the smoker I got him for Christmas and it turned out beautifully. We used applewood chips. We also had dressing and sautéed green beans with it.

I was lying down when he finished it and he didn't take any pictures! :shock: ;) Oh well, next time.

Last edited:
Kayelle, hope your surgery results end up all you hoped for.

Chief, I hope you're done with the flu by the time I type this.

We rolled into our garage around 3:00 AM New Year's Eve, fresh from a week-plus back home with our kids. A week in OH was my best Christmas gift. ;) Like Andy, we had a veritable banquet of munchies. Ring bologna, smokies, three types of cheeses from OH, olives and pickles. Crab-stuffed mushrooms and shrimp Shu-Mai. Balanced all of that with a crudites platter and hummus. Red and white wines. Brownie bites for dessert. Forgot about the shrimp until I was putting away the leftovers, so we went ahead and ate them late. Threw together some homemade cocktail sauce that was really good. Now if I could just think of how I made it...

Nope, not over the flu quite yet. I am happy that you were able to enjoy such a fine spread of goodies. I've had my share of such New Years meals. A humble night at home with DW was a quiet and good thing. Your banquet of goodies sounds spectacular. Nice job.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom