New Year's Eve Dinner - 12/31/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I have some bolognese from a couple nights ago, so I'll make a fresh batch of pappardelle to go with it. Green salad on the side.

First Night festivities are in town, but it's way too cold to go out and participate. I think it got up to 10 F today.

T-bone steak with sauteed onions and mushrooms, baked sweet potato.
Munchies - crackers, smokey bacon cheese ball, olives (green and black, kalamata for me), pickles

We're having finger foods tonight.
- Greek salad dip
- Spinach and artichoke dip with salad shrimp
- Toasted baguette slices
- Kielbasa bites with honey mustard

Our town holds a Scottish Walk on New Year's Eve at 4:30 pm. We've been a few times, but it's 27 degrees outside right now and it will only get colder as the sun goes down, so we'll miss it this year.
http://oldetowneportsmouth.com/events/olde-towne-scottish-walk/

Our first venison steaks. Sous Vide and browned on the grill.
Onions and mushrooms in butter, worcestershire, S&P.
3 cheese swiss fondue in a dry german wine with italian bread cubes toasted. (made with homemade emmentaler, jarlsberg, and gruyere)
Artichoke spinach parmesan dip with crackers.
Romaine and iceberg lettuce w/tomatoes, cucumber, homemade french dressing.

I have no idea. We were supposed to go to our friends' house which is a New Years tradition many years in the making. However, so many circumstances made it not feasible this year.

And I am waiting to hear from my BIL whether he is coming over tonight or not.

I will just drool over everyone else's food for awhile!

No formal dinner for us tonight. We typically have an array of appetizers and champagne on NYE that starts early and runs into midnight.

Since 2009, we've had a New Year's Eve tradition we call "Butterfest." Basically, any seafood that can be dipped in melted butter. :yum:

This year's Butterfest menu:

• Crab legs
  • Lobster tails
  • Shrimp
  • Riced cauliflower
  • Salad

I like the sound of Butterfest, too. I used to do a thing called Meatfest on my birthday every year. Similar health values -- probably worse, actually. :LOL:

Tonight, it is all finger foods. I'm making that ubiquitous queso dip, but using the recommended ALDI version of Velveeta. Cheddar stuffed jalepeño poppers. Fruits and veggies to munch on. Some Prosecco for a mid-night toast.

CD

Roast Turkey
Stuffing
Rolls & Bread
Marinated Mushrooms
Bruschetta
Bean Salad
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Salsa
Onion dip
Blue cheese dip
Guacamole
Olive salad
Cheesecake with Cherry topping
Ambrosia Salad

For me and my better half: a simple salad with honey vinaigrette,one petit lobster tail each, split and roasted au gratin, mushroom risotto topped with grilled lemon and garlic asparagus, and fresh French rolls (almost done with their second rise as I type!).

I figured that this week would be my last opportunity to have authentic Mexican food in a while..
Went to Mando's in PG and had the Chili Rellenos plate plus a crispy Al Pastor taco.. Jeannie had a BLT with an excellent potato salad..

I am going to miss real Mexican food.. :yum: :(

Ross

I picked up fish to make sashimi tonight. My boy is slicing it right now.
We have tuna, salmon, eel, scallops, and mackerel.

Rice and seaweed salad on the side.

I figured that this week would be my last opportunity to have authentic Mexican food in a while..
Went to Mando's in PG and had the Chili Rellenos plate plus a crispy Al Pastor taco.. Jeannie had a BLT with an excellent potato salad..

I am going to miss real Mexican food.. :yum: :(

Ross

Well then, I guess you will need to make your own authentic Mexican food. Check out Rick Bayless' recipes, and his videos on YouTube.

I made Cochinita Pibil last week for my family. It was very easy to make, and was very good to eat. Chili Relleños are pretty easy to make, too. Authentic tacos al pastor are a bigger challenge, since the meat is traditionally cooked on a vertical rotisserie. But there are many authentic tacos you can make without any special equipment.

CD

I have the New Year good luck soup pot on the stove..(black eye peas/southern greens/ham). We're sure to have leftovers for tomorrow. It's always better on day two.
Later tonight we'll have an assortment of fancy food finds I've been collecting from Trader Joe's and a cocktail or two YTBD.

Happy New Year and may 2018 be your best year ever!!! :sorcerer::heart::flowers::sorcerer:

Last edited:
Butterfest sounds excellent!

We had a triple creme, Papillon bleu, and parm R cheeses, salami, mortadella, and prosciutto meats, fruits of an heirloom apple (I forgot the name), a pear, grapes, and strawberries. Craig made blinis for 1 jar of our caviar. Water crackers for the softer cheeses.

Attachments

• 2017-12-31 18.28.59.jpg
    2017-12-31 18.28.59.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 121
Well then, I guess you will need to make your own authentic Mexican food. Check out Rick Bayless' recipes, and his videos on YouTube.

I made Cochinita Pibil last week for my family. It was very easy to make, and was very good to eat. Chili Relleños are pretty easy to make, too. Authentic tacos al pastor are a bigger challenge, since the meat is traditionally cooked on a vertical rotisserie. But there are many authentic tacos you can make without any special equipment.

CD
I do cook pretty good Mexican food..Not too authentic but, flavorful and pretty delicious..

My stepfather was Mexican and was an excellent cook of his native dishes.. He got me interested early in my life.. I tend to make milder foods than he did.. He would make salsa in gallon increments and most everyone would sit eating it with beads of sweat running down their foreheads.. Not me... :wacko:

I like Rick Bayless.. I'm afraid I'm not inclined to go through what it takes to duplicate many of his offerings..

The food I had today made me feel as tho I was sitting in Mando's home, being fed by his abuelita.. Beans not smooth, needing chewing.. The bean cooking sauce almost a gravy, a wonderfully flavored gravy.. Rice which made me feel as tho each grain was coated with rich flavoring and coloring, not fluffy and bland as in many Mexican restaurants.. The chili relleno, simply made with real Mexican cheese, no batter, just chili stuffed cheese covered with a spicy tomato sauce... A simple plate which made me sigh with enjoyment... The taco... I'll just say I inhaled it, altho I was already full and content..

THAT is what I will miss about excellent Mexican food..

Ross

I do cook pretty good Mexican food..Not too authentic but, flavorful and pretty delicious..

My stepfather was Mexican and was an excellent cook of his native dishes.. He got me interested early in my life.. I tend to make milder foods than he did.. He would make salsa in gallon increments and most everyone would sit eating it with beads of sweat running down their foreheads.. Not me... :wacko:

I like Rick Bayless.. I'm afraid I'm not inclined to go through what it takes to duplicate many of his offerings..

The food I had today made me feel as tho I was sitting in Mando's home, being fed by his abuelita.. Beans not smooth, needing chewing.. The bean cooking sauce almost a gravy, a wonderfully flavored gravy.. Rice which made me feel as tho each grain was coated with rich flavoring and coloring, not fluffy and bland as in many Mexican restaurants.. The chili relleno, simply made with real Mexican cheese, no batter, just chili stuffed cheese covered with a spicy tomato sauce... A simple plate which made me sigh with enjoyment... The taco... I'll just say I inhaled it, altho I was already full and content..

THAT is what I will miss about excellent Mexican food..

Ross

I know what you mean about Rick Bayless. I watch his videos mostly for inspiration. I get a good feel for the flavors and techniques of Mexican cooking. Keep in mind, his restaurants sell expensive, gourmet Mexican food. Working-class Mexican recipes are a lot simpler. I have a friend from Mexico who loves to cook. We share information on a regular basis. I introduced him to cajun food, and he asks me about that, while I ask him about his Mexican cooking.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom