New Years Eve Menu and pairings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niquejim

Senior Cook
For NYE I'm doing a tasting menu paired with beer and wine for each course. My FIL is taking care of the wine. NYE is the night when the men cook and serve the ladies who usually do all the other holidays.

The menu is...

First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, cucumber, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Hefe

Second: Pan seared scallops with bacon puree and brussel spouts. Beer---Fuller's London Pride

Third: Grilled mango and prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis Beer---German or Bohemian Pilsner

Fourth: Pineapple polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Beligian Blonde

Fifth: Grilled lamb (ground lamb) skewers with cucumber mint coucous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Flanders Red

Sixth: Cheeses ( types yet to be decided). Beer---Porter or Scotch Ale depending on the cheeses

Seventh: Roasted whole beef tenderloin and bearnaise sauce with mushroom risotto. Beer--- American Pale Ale

Eight: Crème brulee with fruit. Beer---Chocolate , Mocha or Coffee stout

I've asked my beer geek friends, so now I ask my new cooking friends.....What do you think?

This sounds delicious. Pineapple polenta! I have never heard of that. The grilled mango and prosciutto sounds amazing too. GREAT menu.

I've never heard of the cheese before the main course. It usually follows it and precedes dessert in a meal of that scope.

I can't comment on your beer pairings, as I am deathly allergic to hops so cannot consume nor cook with any.

I, too, am curious what the wine pairings will be. Food and wine pairing is my profession. :)

I've never heard of the cheese before the main course. It usually follows it and precedes dessert in a meal of that scope.

I can't comment on your beer pairings, as I am deathly allergic to hops so cannot consume nor cook with any.

I, too, am curious what the wine pairings will be. Food and wine pairing is my profession. :)

I put those up in the wrong order
I will let you know what he choses, and if you have any suggestions let me know. Cost is really not an issue

Though I love beer, the only one on the list I knew was Pilsner (gosh, that's emberassing).

I'm sure it will go well with prosciutto.

Talking with my FIL tonight I found out that I will have Black Truffle and 2 (yes 2) Wagyu tenderloins to work with

Somewhat daunting, as I don't want to screw up that many $'s worth of meat

The menu sounds wonderful! How did you come up with it? Like others, the pineapple polenta sounds great. I also found the scallops with bacon puree and brussel sprouts intriguing. Could you share the recipe?

~Kathleen

I am a beer nut. I just love brew pairings! I will comment below.

For NYE I'm doing a tasting menu paired with beer and wine for each course. My FIL is taking care of the wine. NYE is the night when the men cook and serve the ladies who usually do all the other holidays.

The menu is...

First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, cucumber, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Hefe
A Hefe might be to strong for the delecate flavor of tuna sashimi, however the radish, ginger and soy should hold up well!

Second: Pan seared scallops with bacon puree and brussel spouts. Beer---Fuller's London Pride Perfect!

Third: Grilled mango and prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis Beer---German or Bohemian Pilsner Perfect!

Fourth: Pineapple polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Beligian Blonde A beligian blonde may be too mild in this pairing. Habanero is a very rich and robust flavor You may be better with an ESB.

Fifth: Grilled lamb (ground lamb) skewers with cucumber mint coucous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Flanders Red Delightful flavor combo!

Sixth: Cheeses ( types yet to be decided). Beer---Porter or Scotch Ale depending on the cheeses This depends on the cheese. Porters are strong but not that bitter. Scotch ales on the other hand are very bitter and in some cases will interfere with the subtlties of some milder cheeses. Strong orange? Go with the porter!

Seventh: Roasted whole beef tenderloin and bearnaise sauce with mushroom risotto. Beer--- American Pale Ale Nice but it may not hold up to the rich beef. You may be better off with an oatmeal stout.

Eight: Crème brulee with fruit. Beer---Chocolate , Mocha or Coffee stout Strong beer with fruit is a no no. However the creme brulee/stout combo intruiges me!

I've asked my beer geek friends, so now I ask my new cooking friends.....What do you think?

I've forgotten to update the menu and beer pairings

1st Still the tuna...Beer- Hoegarden

2nd Scallops on a bacon/onion/mushroom stuffed and roasted mini bell pepper and fried mushrooms...Beer- Fullers London Pride

3rd Sill the same...Beer- Pilsner Urquell

4th Still the same...Beer- La Fin du Monde

5th Still the same...Beer- Duchesse de Bourgogne

6th Roasted Kobe tenderloins with Bearnaise and black truffle topped mushroom risotto...Beer- Hobgoblin

7th 3 year aged Blue Stilton, 2 year aged French Comte, 3 year aged Australian White cheddar and 3 year aged Parmesan with a lite drizzle of maple syrup...Beer- Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter

8th Creme brulee in a sugar cookie shell over a mixed berry compote... Coffee instead of beer

I still do not know the wine pairings except that for the cheese course we have a 1932 vintage Port:ohmy:. The beer will have a hard time competing against that;)

Gee, how do I get invited?

I'd add a little fruit to the cheese course to lighten it up a bit -- slices of apple, pear, or cantaloup.

Back
Top Bottom