"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef
cassoulet will be the main

various cheeses and veg before

kinda a buffet event.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
hmmmm I just noticed that our game is at 11 am. That sounds like waffles and sausages, doesn't it?

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Head Chef
Not really sure yet. I've got shrimp, scallops and crab meat in the freezer. Guess I'll just run with that.
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I'm catering a dinner for 20 with curried zucchini soup, grilled herb encrusted chicken, grilled veggies (carrots, beets, peppers, eggplant, green beans), veggie pasta salad (penne with cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, onion, tomato, cucumber & chickpeas in a vinaigrette), fresh foccacia with rosemary, sea salt & parmesan and double chocolate frosted brownies, gingerbread cookies, oatmeal peanut butter & chocolate chip cookies & frosted cookie cutter sugar cookies for dessert.

So we will probably have homemade pizza (from the freezer) & salad, I doubt I will want to cook & cleanup for us too.

Happy New Year! May everyone find good health, much happiness & lots of laughter in 2010!!
Clienta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Senior Cook
My wifes family had the tradition of the men cooking NYE while the ladies relax. I brought it back this year in a BIG way. I'm doing a tasting menu and my FIL is pairing wines with each and I'm pairing beer

The menu is

First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, cucumber, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Unibroue-Blanche de Chambly

Second: Pan seared scallops with bacon/mushroom/onion stuffed mini bell peppers and fried mushrooms. Beer---Fuller's London Pride

Third: Grilled mango and prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis Beer---Weihenstephaner Original

Fourth: Parmesan polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Uniroue La Fin du Monde

Fifth: Grilled lamb (ground lamb) skewers with cucumber mint coucous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Duchesse de Bourgogne

Sixth: Two Kobe beef tenderloins and bearnaise sauce with mushroom risotto. Beer--- Hobgoblin

Seventh: 3 Year aged Blue Stilton, 2 year aged French Comte, 3 year aged Australian white cheddar, some curry cashews and 3 year aged Parmesan with a drizzle of maple syrup. Beer--- Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter

Eighth: Crème brulee in a sugar cookie tartlette on a bed of mixed berry compote. Beer---Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout

I don't know the wines yet but I do know that the wine for the cheese coarse is a 1932 vintage Port
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
New Years Eve...I dunno yet..Chili? Soup? Stew? Coq Au Vin? Shrimp & Grits?
New Years Day will be Black-Eye Peas, Hog jowl, Mustard Greens/Turnip Roots, and Cornbread!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
New Years day... Black-Eye Peas, Hog jowl, Mustard Greens/Turnip Roots, and Cornbread!!
You're really showing your southern traditional roots! Tons of my mother's family from Plaquemine and New Orleans will be sharing your menu as well.

Me, I can't stand black-eyed peas, mustard greens or turnip roots... BUT I will be making a shrimp gumbo and cornbread. Does that count?

Have a blessed New Year!
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
A huge pot of ham and bean soup, making sure there are black-eyed peas in the bean mix. Served with cornbread and honey butter. I'll be taking this to work to share with anyone who would like to partake.
Yep, that's our menu, too. It's a tradition in my family. Happy New Year everybody!
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
New Years Eve...I dunno yet..Chili? Soup? Stew? Coq Au Vin? Shrimp & Grits?
New Years Day will be Black-Eye Peas, Hog jowl, Mustard Greens/Turnip Roots, and Cornbread!!
Ooohhh.. Thanks for the Coq Au Vin idea! I've been wanting to make that recently and I think New Years Day is the perfect time. As for NYE.. we usually snack on queso, salsa, various other dips, meatballs, etc. But I'm also thinking Chinese takeout sounds pretty darn yummy, too. But I definitly think Coq Au Vin is going to be on the menu for New Years Day. :) During that afternoon, we'll have "texas caviar", aka black eyed pea salsa with chips, for good luck in the New Year.

Happy New Year everyone! Be safe, and please call a taxi or a sober friend if you're out and intoxicated.
TheMamma - Living the crazy life with a great hubby, 5 awesome kids, a couple big dogs, one mean cat, and one sweet cat. Yes, it's loud here at The Zoo. Got any earplugs??
TheMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
New Year's Eve will be a bunch of appetizers brought by a bunch of people...all good!

New Year's Day is the traditional, but my way This was last-year's Hoppin' John. It just has to have black-eyed peas, collard greens, and pork...the rest is optional. I tend to like cilantro and lime with mine...not traditional, but, my mouth is happy! This year will be a repeat of some kind. The bowl below is two feet across...if anyone wants some let me know! LOLOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote