"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
OK. So I've go pies, cakes, custards, roasts, bbq, veggies, pastas, things made with eggs, many pastries, etc. down. I need my next big challenge. I've even made an entire meal using oats of various types. I'm looking for you to give me somehting to challenge my skills. The only requirements are that it has to be something reasonably priced, has to use commonly available ingredients, and has to be something extraordinary. Oh, and it shouldn't take three days worth of preperation. I don't want to spend a day making something like demi-glace.

So come on. Challenge me. Let's see if I'm up to it. Oh, and no challenging me to stop making typos :-)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
How about a dessert using homemade phyllo dough made from scratch?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
Head Chef

Here is your task if you choose to accept it.

Using a main ingredient, cook a meal in which each course utilizes the main ingredient. (i.e. Iron Chef style).

Since it's fall. I would suggest Pumkin!!!

you will need an opening course, main dish, side to go with it and dessert all featuring the main ingredient... good luck..

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Here is my challenge to you GW...

I challenge you to cook a dish where the main ingredient is one that you do not like. See if you can change your perception of a previously disliked ingredient.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
So I imagine you’ve already smoked the perfect brisket?

How about corned beef from scratch?

Have you done a perfect Beef Wellington from scratch (dough included)?

How about a traditional Peking Duck?

What about making wine?

How about making jellies and jams?

Maybe try doing a Beggar’s Chicken?

You could always try cooking octopus or even get into making sushi.

OHHHHH.....how about a Turducken?????
Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Goodweed,
Fall being the season, I challenge you to make a butternut squash pie using ALL fresh ingredients. I'd like to see pics please.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
Master Chef

Whoa! And the floodgates open. I couldn't possibly handle all of your requests, at least not in one month. Tell you what. I like all of the suggestions. How 'bout we make this a project. I'll take one of these challenges per pay-period. GB. You're a great moderator and so I'm going to ask you to put the challenges in some kind of order. I'll tackle them in the order you give me, make the food, take pictures, and give an honest critique as well as the techniques I used.

Oh, and anyone else that wants to expand their cooking horizons, feel free to enter the challenge, that is, take these ideas and make them in your homes. Reports could be a good thing.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #17
Head Chef

Exclamation That is bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Whoa! And the floodgates open. I couldn't possibly handle all of your requests, at least not in one month. Tell you what. I like all of the suggestions. How 'bout we make this a project. I'll take one of these challenges per pay-period. GB. You're a great moderator and so I'm going to ask you to put the challenges in some kind of order. I'll tackle them in the order you give me, make the food, take pictures, and give an honest critique as well as the techniques I used.

Oh, and anyone else that wants to expand their cooking horizons, feel free to enter the challenge, that is, take these ideas and make them in your homes. Reports could be a good thing.

That is an awsome challenge and bold acceptance. Hope to hear about some good things!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 AM   #18
Master Chef

I've settled on ehich challenge I'll tackle first. On Saturday, I'm going to make a formal Chines Dinner with 6 courses.

Here's the menu:

Cold dishes:
1. Sushi – filled with shredded scallops and wrapped in spinach leaves instead of Nori (Don't like seaweed)
2. Ranguns – filled with crab and sweetended cream cheese
3. Glazed skewered chicken strips
4. Mellon and berries, skewered and candied

Hot Main Courses
1. Mongolian Beef.
2. Chicken Velvet with Mushrooms
3. Stir-fry Veggies with Chicken Sauce

Soup:
Egg Drop Soup

Staple:
Dumplings filled with sweet beaf and veggies

Snack:
Chicken Spring Rolls

Desert:
Tanghulu – Haw fruit is not available and so will be using kiwi and strawberries

Beverage – Herbal Teas

I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 AM   #19
Executive Chef

OMG Goodweed, that looks awesome!!! But we need pictures as well. And will you post your recipes for at least some of the dishes? The dumplings are especially intriguing. Will you be using a dipping sauce? I can't wait. It makes me want to check airline prices for Saturday.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 AM   #20
Master Chef

As stated, I will include pictures, recipes, and critique.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North