Next Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
OK. So I've go pies, cakes, custards, roasts, bbq, veggies, pastas, things made with eggs, many pastries, etc. down. I need my next big challenge. I've even made an entire meal using oats of various types. I'm looking for you to give me somehting to challenge my skills. The only requirements are that it has to be something reasonably priced, has to use commonly available ingredients, and has to be something extraordinary. Oh, and it shouldn't take three days worth of preperation. I don't want to spend a day making something like demi-glace.

So come on. Challenge me. Let's see if I'm up to it. Oh, and no challenging me to stop making typos :)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

About new things to try. Have you taken an area of the world and mastered at least two multi course meals from the cuisine? As authentic as you can make them naturally. That works for me. :) A chinese banquet - short course - of about eight courses would not be bad. The full course deal is about 13 if I remember correctly.

I challenge you to clean my house :-p

OK - a challenge - mmmmmmm........... What about a Carl Sagan apple pie? Oh......wait......that would take longer than you want :LOL:

ok - how about homemade mozzarella cheese and then roll it out and make a pinwheel with prosciutto, pesto, and sundried tomatoes? Maybe even a pine nut or two?

...or homemade ricotta?

How about using a sesonal ingredient?

Pumpkin or squash

Cranberries

Pasta is inexpensive.

Just a few thoughts.

I challenge you to clean my house :-p

OK - a challenge - mmmmmmm........... What about a Carl Sagan apple pie? Oh......wait......that would take longer than you want :LOL:

ok - how about homemade mozzarella cheese and then roll it out and make a pinwheel with prosciutto, pesto, and sundried tomatoes? Maybe even a pine nut or two?

...or homemade ricotta?

Ok. Cheese requires special cultures and equipment to do it right. You have to have a place to store it while it ripens. You have to be able to control both temperature (not too hard) and humididty. I will ahve to do some checking, but I don't know if homemade mozzarella is possible. Besides, I don't have any water buffalo around to milk.:LOL:

Some of the other ideas are interesting though. The Chines Short Course is especially intriguing as I do enjoy good Chinese food.

I've also never tried to make either divinity or nougat. That might be a good place to start as well.

Squashes and pumpkins I am very familiar with. But I'm sure I could come up with something new from them.

I am still leaning toward the regional cooking theme. Of course success would depend on ingredient availability. Definitely some good ideas here. Keep 'em coming.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

But NOT mozzarella and ricotta.....they are fairly easy to make at home. Rennet is needed for the mozzarella - some make mozzarella just by boiling cheese curds and kneading them together with heat-proof gloves, once it comes together you switch it to an ice bath. Ricotta is even easier than that.

Yea, bufalo just HATE to be milked too!!!!!!!

OK. So I've go pies, cakes, custards, roasts, bbq, veggies, pastas, things made with eggs, many pastries, etc. down. I need my next big challenge. I've even made an entire meal using oats of various types. I'm looking for you to give me somehting to challenge my skills. The only requirements are that it has to be something reasonably priced, has to use commonly available ingredients, and has to be something extraordinary. Oh, and it shouldn't take three days worth of preperation. I don't want to spend a day making something like demi-glace.

So come on. Challenge me. Let's see if I'm up to it. Oh, and no challenging me to stop making typos :)

How about a dessert using homemade phyllo dough made from scratch?

Here is your task if you choose to accept it.

Using a main ingredient, cook a meal in which each course utilizes the main ingredient. (i.e. Iron Chef style).

Since it's fall. I would suggest Pumkin!!!

you will need an opening course, main dish, side to go with it and dessert all featuring the main ingredient... good luck..

Here is my challenge to you GW...

I challenge you to cook a dish where the main ingredient is one that you do not like. See if you can change your perception of a previously disliked ingredient.

So I imagine you’ve already smoked the perfect brisket?

How about corned beef from scratch?

Have you done a perfect Beef Wellington from scratch (dough included)?

How about a traditional Peking Duck?

What about making wine?

How about making jellies and jams?

Maybe try doing a Beggar’s Chicken?

You could always try cooking octopus or even get into making sushi.

OHHHHH.....how about a Turducken?????

Last edited:
Goodweed,
Fall being the season, I challenge you to make a butternut squash pie using ALL fresh ingredients. I'd like to see pics please.

Whoa! And the floodgates open. I couldn't possibly handle all of your requests, at least not in one month. Tell you what. I like all of the suggestions. How 'bout we make this a project. I'll take one of these challenges per pay-period. GB. You're a great moderator and so I'm going to ask you to put the challenges in some kind of order. I'll tackle them in the order you give me, make the food, take pictures, and give an honest critique as well as the techniques I used.

Oh, and anyone else that wants to expand their cooking horizons, feel free to enter the challenge, that is, take these ideas and make them in your homes. Reports could be a good thing.

That is bold

Whoa! And the floodgates open. I couldn't possibly handle all of your requests, at least not in one month. Tell you what. I like all of the suggestions. How 'bout we make this a project. I'll take one of these challenges per pay-period. GB. You're a great moderator and so I'm going to ask you to put the challenges in some kind of order. I'll tackle them in the order you give me, make the food, take pictures, and give an honest critique as well as the techniques I used.

Oh, and anyone else that wants to expand their cooking horizons, feel free to enter the challenge, that is, take these ideas and make them in your homes. Reports could be a good thing.

That is an awsome challenge and bold acceptance.:ohmy: Hope to hear about some good things!

I've settled on ehich challenge I'll tackle first. On Saturday, I'm going to make a formal Chines Dinner with 6 courses.

Here's the menu:

Cold dishes:
1. Sushi – filled with shredded scallops and wrapped in spinach leaves instead of Nori (Don't like seaweed)
2. Ranguns – filled with crab and sweetended cream cheese
3. Glazed skewered chicken strips
4. Mellon and berries, skewered and candied

Hot Main Courses
1. Mongolian Beef.
2. Chicken Velvet with Mushrooms
3. Stir-fry Veggies with Chicken Sauce

Soup:
Egg Drop Soup

Staple:
Dumplings filled with sweet beaf and veggies

Snack:
Chicken Spring Rolls

Desert:
Tanghulu – Haw fruit is not available and so will be using kiwi and strawberries

Beverage – Herbal Teas

I'll let you know how everything turns out.:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
OMG Goodweed, that looks awesome!!! But we need pictures as well. And will you post your recipes for at least some of the dishes? The dumplings are especially intriguing. Will you be using a dipping sauce? I can't wait. It makes me want to check airline prices for Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom