"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks GB. Great pictures!

It does not look that complicated. Definetly a group project. Did you only make vegetarian sushi? I was thinking of using crab sticks for some.

What kind of sauce did you have for dipping?

Pam

Old 03-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Cats, I'm with you on all 3 of those!! I'm planning on trying my hand at canning some things this summer(pickled okra is at the top of my list). The only thing I have ever done that is even in that area is freezer jam. It turned out beautiful as well as delicious. I'm going to talk my mom into helping me when I start the acctual canning though. She's done it for years & has put up some beautiful stuff. Plus she has all the equitment & won't have to buy anything other than spices & stuff.
Freezer jam sounds wonderful, also a good way to ease into the canning thing. I'd like to learn how to make really good pickles, especially the half-done spears that you find in Jewish-style delicatessens.

I have botulism issues.

Cats

Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I'd love to get more into breadmaking, but with DH on the low carb kick, my efforts would go to the birds - literally! I used to bake bread lots - during the old commune days in the 60's, we'd make about 20 loaves a week. But haven't done it in years, and would really like to experiment with some of the more 'artisan' techniqiues - a la the natural yeast kinds of things.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Confection. I havent gotten into it because I dont really have a sweet tooth but I get great ideas for candy all the time and I would love to make my own truffles.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #15
Senior Cook

i KNEW it marmalady...you're a retired hippie [much like myself]. i've felt a connection with you from the beginning. that must be it!
Old 03-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
Things I want to do (and do well):
  • Pickling - After having both homemade sweet pickled cucumbers and homemade pickled garlic recently, I really want to replicate these for myself. Pickled eggs are on the list, too, and maybe those hot pickled sausages as well.
  • Smoking and barbecue - This will have to wait for summer, but I want to build a small backyard smoker.
  • Sauces - A mastery of sauces is a mastery of cookery, in my own humble opinion. Hollandaise is on my list, as is barbecue. I've tried making mayonnaise, and it came out pretty good. I'm pretty good as various pan sauces, but I could still improve.
  • Pasta - Making my own pasta is on the list of things to try.
Heck, I want to learn as much as I can. If I absolutely had to specialize somewhere, though, it would be barbecue and southwestern, I think.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Speaking of bread, I would love to master cooking it in a cast iron dutch oven.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #18
Master Chef

i'd like to improve my knife skills and learn more about cooking with wine.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Leavy
Thanks GB. Great pictures!

It does not look that complicated. Definetly a group project. Did you only make vegetarian sushi? I was thinking of using crab sticks for some.

What kind of sauce did you have for dipping?

Pam
Yeah I only made vegetarian. At the time I did not have access to sushi grade fish. I got some wasabi and also dipped in soy sauce.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:37 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Well, there are a few things I'd like to do to help further my career in Culinary Arts:

-Advanced garnishing, like carving, ice carving, etc.
-Smoking/BBQ. I'd love to hit the BBQ Trail during the summer, and go to a few contests. Unfortunately, my job interfers with that. I just don't have the time to get to invested into it, although I'd love to.
-More experience with exotic ingredients. Lately I've been using chipotles en adobo, but I'd like to maybe get back into Chinese, then venture into Thai and other Asian cuisines.